Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Hollands Brook Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 07-27-2008, 09:15 PM

Default What are the laws regarding detecting in North Carolina?

Hi,
I'm going to the outer banks next weekend for my sisters wedding. I was wondering if anyone from NC could tell me if you are permitted to detect on the beaches or what the general rules were for there. Also if there is a beach that is generally quiet in the area that would be good to detect.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Co-owner

I did a search for "outer banks" and found a few threads for you. Maybe they will help.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=12113

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=11819

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=9069

Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Elite Member

I have never detected the outer banks.. but the coastal beaches are open to detecting.. I go there once or twice a year (daughter lives there) and do some beach hunting. RickO

Old 07-28-2008, 11:43 AM

Thank you so much Rick and Carol. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:01 PM

There is NO detecting on Hatteras Island. You can detect from Nags Head North on the beach. I detect KDH, Kitty Hawk, and even Carova.
Good Luck

Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Elite Member

I'll handle this one for once. I was out at the Outerbanks on a family vacation and spent a lot of time at Ocracoke and I can tell you that detecting there is strictly forbidden! They have signs posted at all access points to the beach pointing out no walking on dunes, destructive activity and listed "treasure hunting" and metal detecting on there. They are trying to restore the dunes (And the beach) because of the recent hurricane damage and Ocracoke is not the place to go detecting. However, I would advise you to get a map of the Outerbanks, and they do show permitted areas. Kitty Hawk is one of them. Good luck and have fun!!
NC

Old 08-16-2010, 07:37 PM

Maybe this will help. http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-tow...-Carolina.html

Mark

Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

Also, If the beach is part of a state park, there is no detecting in June, July, or August.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 PM

Below is what I've found so far! Looks like metal detecting is pretty restricted in NC.....

Are There Any Rules for Metal Detector Use in North Carolina?
By Bryan Cohen, eHow Contributor
updated: June 15, 2010

A metal detector is a device that emits a signal when it is in the vicinity of a metal object that may not be in sight. The modern detector was developed in the 1930s, and it was later refined and became popular in the 1950s and 1960s for treasure hunting and beach combing. There are several laws in the state of North Carolina that pertain to where and when you can use metal detectors.

State Parks
Metal detectors are not approved for use at state parks in North Carolina unless they are used for the location of personal property. If this is the case, the metal detector user must be accompanied by a member of the park staff. This regulation does not include North Carolina ocean parks.

Ocean Parks
North Carolina official recreation areas that are located on the beach do not allow the use of metal detectors during June, July and August. The rest of the year, metal detectors are permitted but are regulated by several state laws. Beaches that are not officially recreation areas or state parks permit the use of metal detectors.

Archaeological Resources
North Carolina follows the Archaeological Resources Preservation Act of 1906 when it comes to metal detection. According to the law, a person cannot deface an archaeological resource on state lands by removing, damaging or excavating the resource without a permit. This person may not purchase, transport or exchange the resource after digging it up, and there can be up to a $5,000 fine and six months of jail time. The items excavated must be forfeited to the state. The term "archaeological resource" is left intentionally vague, and different archaeologists may look at the term differently.

Historic Preservation
The National Historic Preservation Act adds to the potential illegality of metal detection in North Carolina. The law states you cannot dig anything you have reason to believe may be an artifact or something that appears to be over 100 years old. Because the age of an item or the identification of an object as an artifact is also open to interpretation, it is recommended you exercise extreme caution when digging up items from metal detection.