Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detector Spot
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 10-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Elite Member

Default CTX good VDI but no tones?

Anyone experience this?. Was out the other day and got some good VDI but no high tones. Didnt dig it but thinking maybe I should have just to see.. Thinking maybe it could have been the dreaded rusty nail.

Last edited by Silverfishin; 10-07-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Elite Member

When in doubt dig it. If you where not using a open screen and iron was I. The same spot it could have nulled out on the iron but gave the numbers for the good target or it could have been a nice rusty nail. Never know unless you dig it.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Elite Member

Driving me crazy, too!!!

I get good signals even after doing the 90' turn....but only with an open screen. I switch to pattern 1 with the discrimination and the target is GONE.

I get decent targets with no audio, too!!!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfishin View Post
Anyone experience this?. Was out the other day and got some good VDI but no high tones. Didnt dig it but thinking maybe I should have just to see.. Thinking maybe it could have been the dreaded rusty nail.
The Minelab CTX 3030 is so stinking accurate if your not getting a good tone in more than one direction its more than likely junk. Specially if your in a stock program.

Authorized Minelab Metal Detectors Whites Fisher Garrett XP Deus
Minelab partner of the year 2012, Customer service awards '12 and '13.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boys Hobbies View Post
The Minelab CTX 3030 is so stinking accurate if your not getting a good tone in more than one direction its more than likely junk. Specially if your in a stock program.
I have found this to be the case, though I still dig "funny" signals on a regular basis just to check.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Elite Member

I finally dug one that was a good one the other day. With Evan's program it was showing iron but a good 12-39 to 12-43 also with mostly high tone. The ctx seamed pretty sure that there was a good target down there from one direction. The other direction the high numbers were real jumpy like the rusted nail false. I switched to a wide open ground coin program and checked it. It was still iffy one way but a good tight pattern the other way with 85% of the tones being high. I finally dug it and found rusted barb wire at about 4" I kept going and got a 48 rosie at 6" that was directly under the wire!!!!

The machine knows more then me that's for sure! With time and lots of digging hopefully I can learn its language better.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 PM

Oops double post, sorry.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Elite Member

Had more today. At least I got a few rusty nails. I just need 1 good day with a pro to dial me in. Very frustrating at times....but as the Cub fan
I am....there's always next year!!!!!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coin chaser View Post
I finally dug one that was a good one the other day. With Evan's program it was showing iron but a good 12-39 to 12-43 also with mostly high tone. The ctx seamed pretty sure that there was a good target down there from one direction. The other direction the high numbers were real jumpy like the rusted nail false. I switched to a wide open ground coin program and checked it. It was still iffy one way but a good tight pattern the other way with 85% of the tones being high. I finally dug it and found rusted barb wire at about 4" I kept going and got a 48 rosie at 6" that was directly under the wire!!!!

The machine knows more then me that's for sure! With time and lots of digging hopefully I can learn its language better.
That's sweet, gotta love finding those rosies!. My situation the other day when I was sweeping I would see my VDI at 12-45, 12-48 and get no tone in my headphones. There was other trash in the area. I didn't dig thinking it was the halo from some close iron..not realy sure.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
That's sweet, gotta love finding those rosies!. My situation the other day when I was sweeping I would see my VDI at 12-45, 12-48 and get no tone in my headphones. There was other trash in the area. I didn't dig thinking it was the halo from some close iron..not realy sure.
EXACTLY...and I turn on the target trace and see the circle cursor filled in. Still nada for me!!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRob View Post
EXACTLY...and I turn on the target trace and see the circle cursor filled in. Still nada for me!!!!

When i dont get VDI and the yellow red dots on screen are all over the place and trying to form. I run!

But when I get good VDI 12-44,45,or 46 then sweep 90 degrees and get a 33-45 or so.. I know its deep rust. When I do get fooled and dig a deep plug and nothing is there, Im thinking rust..re-sweep area and it ends up being a nail 8" left or right of the hole Im guessing theres only 2 ways to go about this..If you dont get a steady reading both ways its prob trash except if the one target is filled in the good coin area of your screen. Then it could be nail and coin.

Last edited by Silverfishin; 10-09-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coin chaser View Post

The last sentence is the key. You have to learn your Minelab CTX 3030 and how it talks. If you will listen there is not much it wont tell you.

Authorized Minelab Metal Detectors Whites Fisher Garrett XP Deus
Minelab partner of the year 2012, Customer service awards '12 and '13.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:05 PM
THE JUICE

don't walk around just lookin at the screen. I don't dig a target unless I get a good tone, then I check the screen and decide what ta do from there

Old 10-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound View Post
don't walk around just lookin at the screen. I don't dig a target unless I get a good tone, then I check the screen and decide what ta do from there
That's what I had been doing but then I read something about iffy targets with no tone.

I'm learning just slowly. I need a good piece of property to practice on.

I do appreciate the help!!!!!

THANKS guys!!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Chatroom Jester

The CTX can read 2 targets on screen at once. If you get an "iffy" signal with a high tone and it will show on the screen a target near the bottom and one near the top indicating 2 signals. If you turn 90 and it's still crappy just move on, but if you can turn any certain direction and get a constant silver tone it's usally going to be a silver next to iron. Since I bought the CTX I've dug several silvers right up ontop of iron in hunted out places that others with Etracs and Whites have missed because thier machine hit the iron and nulled out right over the silver.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound View Post
Same here. But I will use the pinpoint and make a mental map of the targets in the area and then switch back and try to pick through them.

Quote:
When I'm in heavy iron sites most of the time the second cursor is in the coin range with no high tone. I keep moving until my ears tell me to stop then I start looking at the screen and picking the 2' area apart. Then I decide to dig depending on how sure the ctx is.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRob View Post
but as the Cub fan
I am....there's always next year!!!!!
Awesome!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmodeus View Post
The CTX can read 2 targets on screen at once. If you get an "iffy" signal with a high tone and it will show on the screen a target near the bottom and one near the top indicating 2 signals. If you turn 90 and it's still crappy just move on, but if you can turn any certain direction and get a constant silver tone it's usally going to be a silver next to iron. Since I bought the CTX I've dug several silvers right up ontop of iron in hunted out places that others with Etracs and Whites have missed because thier machine hit the iron and nulled out right over the silver.
Exactly! I'm still learning my machine but when I get a high tone 12-(44-47) mixed with on/off nulling I look at my target trace. If I can paint the high tone with my initial swing and then moving 90 degrees and maintain the high trace I dig it. If you study the screen you will see two targets painted; the lower one is iron and the high tone is a coin. I have found three silvers over the past week in the same hole with nails. This is obviously the beauty of the CTX over other machines in my opinion. I trust as I gain more experience I will learn more of what the detector is saying.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Exactly! I'm still learning my machine but when I get a high tone 12-(44-47) mixed with on/off nulling I look at my target trace. If I can paint the high tone with my initial swing and then moving 90 degrees and maintain the high trace I dig it. If you study the screen you will see two targets painted; the lower one is iron and the high tone is a coin. I have found three silvers over the past week in the same hole with nails. This is obviously the beauty of the CTX over other machines in my opinion. I trust as I gain more experience I will learn more of what the detector is saying.

Thanks good info, appreciate it..

Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerman View Post
I have found this to be the case, though I still dig "funny" signals on a regular basis just to check.
Same here and on maybe 2 occasions has it turned out a ok target. I think those where both wheats with trash.