Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big Boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 07-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Default Fisher F2 Sniper Coil

I just read a very interesting post by Carol K about coin depth. I'm still a super newb to detecting so I hope it's alright to ask some questions. I'm only doing this about a month now, and I've only found clad so far. Here's the thing, I've been hunting almost extensively near river beds that flood very often. Is there a chance that because the ground I've been hunting is saturated so much that older coins may simply be sinking too deep into the ground for the 4" sniper coil to find? Can someone with the f2 and sniper coil give me some insight on this here. How old of coins have you found with the F2? Can you remember your location? Were you say on top of a mountain that never floods, or have you found older coins (Pre-1940 let's say) near river/creek beds that flood occasionally? I would really like to find some older coins and be equipped atleast the best I can to do so. I cannot afford any higher end units, so I just want to make the best of what I have. The soil here in PA makes my 8 in coil act up a lot, and I don't have a pro pointer of my own yet.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Elite Member

Location: KANSAS.. by way of Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay and Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsanityINC View Post
I just read a very interesting post by Carol K about coin depth. I'm still a super newb to detecting so I hope it's alright to ask some questions. I'm only doing this about a month now, and I've only found clad so far. Here's the thing, I've been hunting almost extensively near river beds that flood very often. Is there a chance that because the ground I've been hunting is saturated so much that older coins may simply be sinking too deep into the ground for the 4" sniper coil to find? Can someone with the f2 and sniper coil give me some insight on this here. How old of coins have you found with the F2? Can you remember your location? Were you say on top of a mountain that never floods, or have you found older coins (Pre-1940 let's say) near river/creek beds that flood occasionally? I would really like to find some older coins and be equipped atleast the best I can to do so. I cannot afford any higher end units, so I just want to make the best of what I have. The soil here in PA makes my 8 in coil act up a lot, and I don't have a pro pointer of my own yet.

The sniper coil should go about 6" deep on max sense if you have decent soil...maybe an inch or 2 deeper if the soil is wet.
As far as depth of coins, there are so many things that affect the depth that there is sometimes no rhyme or reason to this.

Lots of hunters find older coins at 6-7-8 inches or more, sometimes we find them much shallower.
I found a Merc dime in an old park that was so new looking it looked like it came straight from the mint...and it was only about 1/4" deep.
Didn't even have to dig a hole, I just moved the dirt a little with my finger and found it.
I have found other old coins like silver dimes and some pretty old wheaties and even a couple of Indian Head pennies and none of them were more than 5" deep.

It might be that those kind of sites you hunt do make the coins sink a little deeper because of the wet, but if so, you need to use bigger coils to get deeper than that sniper.

What do you mean that 8" coil "acts up"?
If you are getting a bunch of chatter and jumping with that coil there are things you can do.

First, when you mount that coil...any coil, finger tight is not quite tight enough.
Take a pliers and just give it a little extra twist.
Why this works I don't know but it does for me and quiets my F2 down some.

Second, when you start it up after mounting the 8" coil by pushing the power button, leave your finger pressed on the power button for about 10 seconds while it starts up and after it turns on.
This is a factory reset and seems to solve most noise problems when the F2 starts to act a little wonky.

Third, if you still have too much noise with that 8" turn the sense down till it gets more quiet.
You don't lose all that much depth with each bar removed, and even at one bar that coil should match or actually go deeper than the sniper on full power.
Even at the worst sites I hunt with very heavy EMI causing my F2 to go nuts I still can turn it down till it eventually gets quiet.
I usually don't, lots of chatter usually does not bother me and I hunt on max sense most of the time...but I have done this at my worst sites and it always works.
If you can't get that 8" to quiet down anywhere, and especially on those lower power settings you might have a problem with that coil and you should contact Fisher.
It's is rare but it happens...they will make it good.

Fourth if you do manage to find enough clad, or do a good search through your couch cushions one day, think about getting a 10" coil.
It is 1/2 the price of the DD coil, ($50-$60), goes a few inches deeper than the 8", seems to deal with EMI better than the 8" and if you are hunting some pretty moist soil it really shines in this kind of environment.

If where you live has really heavy mineralization, save up for a DD coil because they do better in that kind of dirt.
Mineralization map, here.
http://www.hollandsbrook.com/blog-re...ted-states.pdf

If the coins are there and they are deeper than 5-6" you had better use bigger coils...there is just no getting around it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the reply Digger. When I said it acts up with the 8 inch coil, I mean the numbers on the display bounce around much more than the sniper coil which stays very very close to solid. 8 inch coil testing a clad quarter on my dirt driveway jumps from about 79-89, where the sniper coil stays at a solid 80-81 on every swing.

However, I've been tightening it by hand, did not know about the factory reset holding the power button, I'm still so new to the hobby I haven't even thought of turning the sensitivity down and testing it on different coins, and after I order another pro pointer soon I'll buy the 10" coil. If I get some time tonight I'll experiment with tightening it with pliers, and the 8" coil sensitivity settings to see if I can get a more solid number reading on the display.

By the way although I only have about 10 total hours in, there is truly a difference in the tones when you find something good. I actually found 7 clad quarters this weekend camping, and I swear the machine got louder. Still need to pick up headphones too.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 PM

I have used my 4, 8 and 11 dd coil in parks and yards and rarely did anything over 5 inches deep and if I did it was when I first got it and would dig big trash.

The oldest I have got is a 1903 idian head at 4 inches.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 PM

I just started using the sniper coil about last week or so. I found 45 cents so far in my backyard in about an hour. The sniper coil makes it very accurate and easy to find your target, I am really enjoying using it.

Hey Digger what does it mean when you read a target than is high 90s and has no type of metal (usually turns out to be a nail :-( )

Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw5641 View Post
I just started using the sniper coil about last week or so. I found 45 cents so far in my backyard in about an hour. The sniper coil makes it very accurate and easy to find your target, I am really enjoying using it.

Hey Digger what does it mean when you read a target than is high 90s and has no type of metal (usually turns out to be a nail :-( )

High 90's tones can be a few things.
Most of the time it is false signal that can be caused by big iron in the vicinity, (even not under the coil up to a foot away), or a large, shallow, flat can, it can also be something that comes in at a high level like a quarter or big piece of can that you swing over too fast.
If you swing over any target too fast the F2 can give you a quick signal but squeaky sounding, and will false in the upper ranges.
Go back over this kind of signal slower and the numbers should drop.

If you hit a nail at this range it will be big and very rusty.

Multiple quarters like 4 in a spill could get into the 90's, too, but in the thousands of targets I have dug there have been only 5 in the 90's that were actually single, good targets.
One 1978 Ike dollar, 2 Ben Franklin half dollars, a honking silver ring about 12 grams, and a navy challenge coin as big as a silver dollar.
All other 90 signals for me have been false or big trash.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Digger. When I said it acts up with the 8 inch coil, I mean the numbers on the display bounce around much more than the sniper coil which stays very very close to solid. 8 inch coil testing a clad quarter on my dirt driveway jumps from about 79-89, where the sniper coil stays at a solid 80-81 on every swing.

However, I've been tightening it by hand, did not know about the factory reset holding the power button, I'm still so new to the hobby I haven't even thought of turning the sensitivity down and testing it on different coins, and after I order another pro pointer soon I'll buy the 10" coil. If I get some time tonight I'll experiment with tightening it with pliers, and the 8" coil sensitivity settings to see if I can get a more solid number reading on the display.

By the way although I only have about 10 total hours in, there is truly a difference in the tones when you find something good. I actually found 7 clad quarters this weekend camping, and I swear the machine got louder. Still need to pick up headphones too.
I know some stuff, I am always glad to help so just ask.
If you are swinging over that quarter with your coil in that test real close like 1/2 inch or less, you will get those jumpy signals, it won't be solid.
Any target this close to the coil will do this, 3/4'" or more away from the coil the signals should stabilize.
You already proved how smart you were by buying the F2, now we will get you learning the language a little better which is more about swing time than anything else.
There are also some slight differences in those tones, you are very perceptive to have noticed this so early, and headphones will help in this area when you get them.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View Post
I know some stuff, I am always glad to help so just ask.
If you are swinging over that quarter with your coil in that test real close like 1/2 inch or less, you will get those jumpy signals, it won't be solid.
Any target this close to the coil will do this, 3/4's" or more away from the coil the signals should stabilize.
You already proved how smart you were by buying the F2, now we will get you learning the language a little better which is more about swing time than anything else.
There are also some slight differences in those tones, you are very perceptive to have noticed this so early, and headphones will help in this area when you get them.
Digger, I am a firm believer of the sniper coil. Quick example. I tend to use the 11"DD in big open areas, like my back yard for example. I have gone over my yard several times with this coil. I used the 4"" yesterday, and pulled a 1907 Indian head Penney that the 11" missed. That coil just says low and slow

I am a believer. I was skeptical until I read your posts, not now.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 PM

Alright, I'm going to put the 8 inch coil on right now and do some tests. I'll post back in a little bit.

On a side note, you can spend hours on this forum reading these threads. I just looked at the clock and I've been reading for like 4 hours straight lol. My brains starting to hurt a little, and its not just from the bee stings I acquired this weekend.

Thanks a lot for the replies from everyone, greatly appreciated. Does clicking the "Helpful" button for people do anything for them? I keep forgetting to do it.

Also, anyone have this tapatalk android app, If I'm going to be posting pictures on here and the app is worth it I'll buy it for 2.99 I guess. Insights on this?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Hey all
Ive been wanting to ask Digger the same thing about the bigger coil.
I started with the sniper coil as advised. Found a ton. Exactly 80-82 quarter every time.
Then I started to experiment with the 10"coil. The numbers were 78-85 for a quarter. The sniper would be dead on every time. Put the larger coil on and it does not seem as clear. As if there is more guess work to whats under the coil. So, unsanity my F2 is acting the same way. Also, dont over tighten your coil, cuz when you go back to switch coils , you will actually twist the whole socket that's mounted on the F2 housing. Causing the soldiered connections on the inside to twist. If them broke you would cause a huge headache. Thanks guys DD

Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 PM

I'm getting very fast at switching out these coils lol. Only did it about 500x this month.

Dumbdigger, I might actually be able to help you out now after the monkeying around I just did.

Digger27, thank you a lot just figured out the 8inch coil and what I was doing wrong.

On my ground tests, in both my concrete garage and dirt driveway I tested a penny, nickel, dime, quarter and my girlfriends gold heart necklace I bought her.

It's very simple. I had the coil too close to the target. Once I pick the coil up between 1 and 2 inches, solid signal on all items. I'm learning the numbers as well.

Penny 61, Nickel 34, Dime 71, Quarter 80, Gold heart thing w/ small diamonds is coming up a solid 43, not moving at all. The gold chain is not attached to it, hopefully our lab retriever did not eat it or I'll be pretty angry. The coins sometimes move 1 number.

The swing is equally, if not more important. I've been using the sniper coil so I'm used to it, the 8" coil is heavier and I've barely used it. Just have to learn the machine with that coil on it. I love learning and don't think you can ever learn too much.

So excited to get out there again. I'm guessing the Garrett Pro Pointer would make a huge difference, I'll just use the one I ordered for my girlfriends sons birthday for a while and see if I like it. The cheap fisher one isn't really that bad though, I've gotten pretty good with it. Just gotta poke around a lot.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Yea just did a similar test unsanity. Basically same results as you.
I get it jumpy like that often. Meaning the coin is to close to the coil.
When I see a mixed signal like that, maybe I will pick the coil up slightly and see if it is more dead on like the sniper. THANKS DD

Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armydude View Post
Digger, I am a firm believer of the sniper coil. Quick example. I tend to use the 11"DD in big open areas, like my back yard for example. I have gone over my yard several times with this coil. I used the 4"" yesterday, and pulled a 1907 Indian head Penney that the 11" missed. That coil just says low and slow

I am a believer. I was skeptical until I read your posts, not now.
I threw that thing on one day last summer just to see what it would do at a new site I was hunting.
Some guy stopped and talked to me the first day and said he lived in the neighborhood, hunted this small park many times along with others, they got everything out of there that could be found and I was wasting my time.
I hunted this area with that small coil over the next few days and found a silver dime, an old zippo type lighter, an ID bracelet with a 1978 date on it, a lot of other really cool things and a ton of clad.
I guess it wasn't so hunted out after all.
After that I started re-hunting some of my old sites and found so much I missed I was shocked.
After finding 3 gold rings in a small area next to a basketball court that I missed with a bigger coil, (and many other hunters missed too), that was it.
I still use bigger coils for large areas, but the sniper is my favorite for most other places I hunt.

Quote:

Also, anyone have this tapatalk android app, If I'm going to be posting pictures on here and the app is worth it I'll buy it for 2.99 I guess. Insights on this?
I don't like paying for anything that has a free counterpart.
I also hate that Taptalk seems to want to add..
"Sent by xxxx phone using Taptalk" on every post.
If someone wants to advertise on my stuff, they better pay me for it.
That's probably the old salesman in me.

I use Opera Mini on my Samsung Android, it seems faster than most and easy to deal with.
Yea it's easy to post pics with Taptalk, but I figured out a way to do it easily without it.
It takes a few steps, but do it a few times it becomes second nature and I can post a pic in a reply or a new thread in just a few seconds.

This is how you do it.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showt...60#post1738260

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbdigger View Post
Hey all
Also, dont over tighten your coil, cuz when you go back to switch coils , you will actually twist the whole socket that's mounted on the F2 housing. Causing the soldiered connections on the inside to twist. If them broke you would cause a huge headache.
When I say tighten with pliers I don't mean crank it down like your life depended on it.
I go finger tight and then just a little twist with my needle nose pliers after that.
This actually makes no sense, that tiny bit of tightening should make no difference in the connections or how the F2 acts, but all I know is I did this at a problem site when the F2 was real jumpy and that little extra twist did make a difference and it settled down a bunch.

Quote:

Digger27, thank you a lot just figured out the 8inch coil and what I was doing wrong.

On my ground tests, in both my concrete garage and dirt driveway I tested a penny, nickel, dime, quarter and my girlfriends gold heart necklace I bought her.

It's very simple. I had the coil too close to the target. Once I pick the coil up between 1 and 2 inches, solid signal on all items. I'm learning the numbers as well.

Penny 61, Nickel 34, Dime 71, Quarter 80, Gold heart thing w/ small diamonds is coming up a solid 43, not moving at all. The gold chain is not attached to it, hopefully our lab retriever did not eat it or I'll be pretty angry. The coins sometimes move 1 number.
There ya go.
Everything I post and all the tips I share I do it because I already saw the movie, read the book, got the t-shirt and experienced the same problems but eventually figured them out.
It's fun at the beginning of this journey, but way more fun when you know and understand more and don't have to worry about all these little things that get in the way.
We all go through this learning process when we are brand spanking new at all of this, but most that listen to me might get through it a little faster due to my experience.

Also, about those numbers.
The F2 will not give you a solid one number only reading on every target, even good ones, every time.
Maybe air testing or swinging the coil over targets like in your tests, maybe, but I have found that in the dirt a jump of 2 numbers is normal.
A quarter might be an 80-82 signal for instance.
This is a solid signal to me and I always dig those.
Most trash, (not all), will jump more than those 2 numbers and I can avoid digging some of that stuff if I feel like it because of this effect.

Quote:
The swing is equally, if not more important. I've been using the sniper coil so I'm used to it, the 8" coil is heavier and I've barely used it. Just have to learn the machine with that coil on it. I love learning and don't think you can ever learn too much.
It took me 18 months and who knows how many missed targets to learn this lesson.
Learning to swing correctly from the beginning is way easier than retraining yourself when you finally realize you were doing it wrong.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=78080

Quote:
So excited to get out there again. I'm guessing the Garrett Pro Pointer would make a huge difference, I'll just use the one I ordered for my girlfriends sons birthday for a while and see if I like it. The cheap fisher one isn't really that bad though, I've gotten pretty good with it. Just gotta poke around a lot.
The Propointer is a game changer and even more useful than you can believe.
I figured out how to get the best out of this tool, also, so get back to me when you get it and I can show you how it cut my recovery time by 75%...and much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbdigger View Post
Yea just did a similar test unsanity. Basically same results as you.
I get it jumpy like that often. Meaning the coin is to close to the coil.
When I see a mixed signal like that, maybe I will pick the coil up slightly and see if it is more dead on like the sniper. THANKS DD

Another problem hopefully solved.
The world is all cute fluffy bunnies and rainbows and bubblegum again.
Glad I could help

Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Pro Pointer

Digger, the Pro Pointer is supposed to be arriving sometime tomorrow. Any and all tips you have on this thing would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Digger, the Pro Pointer is supposed to be arriving sometime tomorrow. Any and all tips you have on this thing would be greatly appreciated.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=68678

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=82678

Using it this way, and adding in my cheap little "invention", I cut 75% off my recovery time, I use it from the top of the ground to locate each and every target so I dig real small holes, and with that little thumb addition I can get signals deeper holding the unit normally than I can without and judge depth better.
I can also supertune one handed on the fly quick and easy, from the top of the ground or in the hole.
I can easily locate coin size targets up to about 4 or 5" deep before I dig in dry soil, deeper when the ground is wet.
Even a few clicks on the deeper targets gives me the exact location to dig.

My average recovery time on targets 6" or less from the time I acquire a target, bend over and use the Propointer, dig and recover the target, replace the dirt stomp on it and move on is usually 15 seconds...or less.
I rarely kneel down unless the target is deeper on any hunt.
(98% of the targets I dig at my sites are 5" or less)
I learned to just bend over at the waist.
My lower back used to hurt in the old days a bit...no more.
I guess all that bending strengthened the muscles.
I can dig a huge volume of targets very quickly this way, and I believe in this business higher volume of targets dug equals a higher volume of great finds.
That has always worked for me, anyway.

When I watch others use this tool on YouTube it frustrates me to no end.
Nobody does it like I do, but I wouldn't hunt with it any other way.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 PM

I've read everything, thank you so much! It came in the mail today, I just got home from work. We are going to take it out and try it in a little while. Trying to find metal to wrap around my thumb and practice the super tuning. I'm sure I will have questions. This is not easy trying to explain to a kid who gets frustrated easily, I hope this helps him with his recovery time so he doesn't lose interest in the hobby. It takes him a while to find stuff, and he just doesn't have the patience like I do to read all this. I'm doing my best to teach him, but I'm a beginner too.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:26 PM

Hey Digger I'm practicing the supertune on my kitchen table and having a difficult time. I'm getting it to work maybe 50 % of the time because I think my fingers moving. I dunno, I'll keep practicing and maybe he'll figure it out better than I can before I get mine. What's your take on this modification to supertune? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNeDJz_28RQ Notice hes somehow getting only a half inch more. Also exactly what do you have wrapped around your finger, so I know what to ask for at hardware store lol. I watched your video and your getting much more distance than I am so far. I'm getting 4" when I do it correctly with a nickel.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Hey Digger I'm practicing the supertune on my kitchen table and having a difficult time. I'm getting it to work maybe 50 % of the time because I think my fingers moving. I dunno, I'll keep practicing and maybe he'll figure it out better than I can before I get mine. What's your take on this modification to supertune? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNeDJz_28RQ Notice hes somehow getting only a half inch more. Also exactly what do you have wrapped around your finger, so I know what to ask for at hardware store lol. I watched your video and your getting much more distance than I am so far. I'm getting 4" when I do it correctly with a nickel.
My video in one of those links shows how easy it is to do my way.

I have seen posts where some guys use their digger placed on their Propointer to supertune, that need 2 hands as does using a coin to do this.
Others rig up something to keep that coin on the unit but still move it up and down.
Another guy on Youtube taped an antenna to the side and manipulates it.
still another sells something that people can buy and add to the Propointer to do this.

All ridiculous ways to end up in the same place as far as I am concerned.
My way is the easiest, best way possible, faster than all others and has the added bonus of actually making the Propointer go a little further than normal just by holding it in your hand naturally...then you can supertune and go even further if you want.

You can use a large ring, I have wrapped some fence wire around my thumb, I have even found and cut a hole in a large twist off cap when I didn't have my regular 3/4" emt pipe straps available...my #1 accessory to do this.

Wrap whatever around your thump, or in my case my glove, (I ALWAYS use gloves), back as far as possible.
When you grab your Propointer and hold it naturally near the end, just having this piece of metal near it will actually supertune it slightly.
About 35% of my targets in the ground, maybe more, are too deep for the Propointer to find from the top of the ground because they are just out of range or even deeper.
Wear this piece of metal and now that percentage of targets it is able to find from the top goes way up.
Sometimes it's just a few clicks if its about 4" or so, but I can pick targets up deeper than usual.
By slightly moving my thumb up the handle just a little bit till I hear it go off, and then a slight move back till the sound stops, at that point you are supertuned and now I can find about 98% of my targets which are usually 6" or less in depth.

I won't hunt without doing this, and I do lose these straps from time to time, or give them away to friends, and when I find myself starting a hunt without one my first targets are always something that can be adapted to fit on my thumb, wire, a big piece of foil, whatever.

I used my phone and got another dig doing this on film where I found a small piece of metal about 6" deep from the top of the ground in bone dry soil very easily.
See below.
Beats me why others won't hunt this way.
I won't hunt any other way, anymore.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:05 AM
Elite Member

Here is another vid I just did.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks again for all the info. He actually figured out the supertuning before I did and has it down really well. Tried multiple items around the house from wires to key rings, some items make it go a little further than others.

Now I think what's messing us both up with the pro-pointer is going from the F-Point where only the tip detects, to the entire 360 degrees detection. He's having a hard time figuring out if the target is underneath the pinpointer, or if its on the sidewall of the hole. I'll have to show him how to turn it on and off to that the detection field decreases significantly, that has to be the easiest way.

On a side note I'm becoming very very comfortable with the f2 and just the plain F-point pointer. Getting good with both coils too. The 8inch coil is rough around trashy areas though. I found my first jewelry 2 days ago, it's either an earring or a necklace pendant that has a cross on the back and on the front it say's Jesus Saves! I checked it with acid cause I thought it was silver but the line vanished quickly on the test rock. Maybe I'll tape this to my metal detector for good luck. Yesteday I found an American Flag pin. I really have the fever bad.

Thanks again for everything! I'll post pictures when I get something good.