Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detector Spot
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 04-23-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Metal Detecting Vacations?

So, having just received my AT Pro and finding an old Boy Scout kerchief holder in the first 3 minutes (not valuable, I know, but I am completely hooked) I find myself thinking about taking a MD vacation. Any ideas, places, things to consider, etc etc? Do people actually take MD vacations? Did I tell you all that I am completely hooked?

Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 PM

Default Congrats

I have heard good things about the AT Pro. Go to Club hunts/events forum. There are a couple trips on the thread. I am going to the one in Catskills Mountains NY. It is held on May 31-Jun 1 or Jun 2.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Elite Member

I have thought of this as well. Not having the know how or money, I think This is a business I wish and I think a travel agency could benefit from.

When I got my ACE 350 and was to visit family in Florida I wanted to detect from here to there. But, because I didn't know where to go I ended up not doing any until I got to the beach in Florida.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingingkunsan View Post
I have heard good things about the AT Pro. Go to Club hunts/events forum. There are a couple trips on the thread. I am going to the one in Catskills Mountains NY. It is held on May 31-Jun 1 or Jun 2.
That's a great idea. Maybe I can make that one in the Catskills.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Default Not enough of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpysrb View Post
I have thought of this as well. Not having the know how or money, I think This is a business I wish and I think a travel agency could benefit from.

When I got my ACE 350 and was to visit family in Florida I wanted to detect from here to there. But, because I didn't know where to go I ended up not doing any until I got to the beach in Florida.
I agree. But unfortunatley the travel agencies are out for the big dollar. And what you are asking would take a ton of research and cost a fortune. Metal detecting club hunts or sponsored events are the way to go. Just takes a little searching on the web. If you are really gung-ho maybe even create your own event. If it is good enough I know I would be interested in attending.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Default Oh that would be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppage View Post
That's a great idea. Maybe I can make that one in the Catskills.
Keep me posted. It looks like a great time. And pretty affordable. I am flying from NC on the 30th, renting a car and will be there for the Friday morining hunt and all others. I am leaving Monday morning

Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Hey king what part of nc r u in?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Elite Member

You live in Ct! I've been reading these forums for a while now and where you live is the place to be...ground zero...mecca if you will! Of course I'm playing, going to a civil war site would be cool or detecting in England, etc. would be fun. I always thought a trip to Australia to look for nuggets would be fun. Problem is, where to go when you get there. Fortunately we belong to a great group of people who I'm sure would be glad to spend a day detecting with someone from afar. You would want to find a place with known history/finds. Imagine flying to England and not finding anything, though just going would be awesome in itself. Just remember what Jerry Garcia once said, "The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter, on either side of the hill." Good topic BTW, I'm sure we've all thought of going for finds not available to us in our local area.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

Maybe someone should set up a house swap for detectorist: my house in Mexico for your house in England for a week kind of thing...
That way you don't have to deal with hotels...

Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemang View Post
Maybe someone should set up a house swap for detectorist: my house in Mexico for your house in England for a week kind of thing...
That way you don't have to deal with hotels...
Metal detecting timeshares, interesting.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Elite Member

Took mine on my cruise and it made it well worth it.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Elite Member

Twice a year I go to Diggin in Virginia, an invitational hunt. I'll continue to attend as long as I get an invite. It's a blast! There are a few different similar events, but I would encourage you to read reviews from attendees, as not all are created equal. I also went to a club hunt up in VA recently and had a great time with that, too.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Elite Member

I wish someone would visit me in the Philippines when we are their. During the winter months in Indiana.... KEN

Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

CT...there's really no need to take a vacation elsewhere to hunt unless you want to find CW relics...

Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
curbstrip nut

Just got back from high desert Oregon. My Pro let me down, 1000+ miles wasted in my opinion. I'm going south next time.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM

Default Vacation woohoo

My husband and I are totally taking a vacation this weekend to the coast mainly to go detecting on the beaches and where ever else we see fit. Totally stoked. Willits to Point Reyes here we come!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 PM

Went to Germany for 4 weeks and detected 23 days out of 30 that I was there, 3-5 hours per session.
I didn't go there specifically to detect, but it ended up thaht way