Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Steve's Metal Detector sales
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 PM

Question How to hunt volleyball courts?

Hi all,
(BACKGROUND INFORMATION)I went to Seven Presidents Beach the other day with only a little luck (luck being 90 degree weather ). I was in the perfect storm of bad conditions. When I got there, there were only a few people (less than 20), but they were spread out in a way that there was really no way to detect between them without getting too close for my own comfort. So I walked around and went to another beach about 1/2 mile away.

TO THE POINT

How do YOU hunt volleyball courts? This beach had three courts a short distance from the bathroom hut, and checked all of them. There also was a sidewalk with a little dip that had sand going all the way to the dip along the left side, I guess for spectators or friends or whatever. It was only a cursory check, and I got three iron signals overall. Is there a technique to finding all of the lost gold rings and change that I have heard are in volleyball courts?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Elite Member

I'd go early in the morning before the 'players' are up and around. Then I'd check close to the nets and also where the server would be. After that, I'd just grid the whole area. Good luck and let us know what you find. : )

Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Elite Member

keep an eye on how they play there. I actually find more toward the ocean side of the volleyball courts. Much like a towel line, you got spectators who sit a certain distance outside of the playing field. To me it seems they loose more than the ones playing. May differ where you are? You grid the area vertical, horizontal, and diagonal if you can. Early morning or night is about the best you can do around here during summer. During the day you might get your detector broke if you get too close.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Elite Member

I don't find them to be very productive. I have only found clad and 1 small silver toe ring.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 PM

Dig it all because the sand is easy and earrings/bracelets come up as iron usually.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 AM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

You grid them, and you grid them S-L-O-W-L-Y. East to West, then North to South. I have found a lot of silver crucifixes and a few gold chains and rings. They can be anywhere from 5" - 12" deep. LOW and SLOW!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Elite Member

Terry is right to grid them.... but you have to know the limitations of you equipment and its response to various targets, then you know what to expect.

Dew

Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks all for your tips; next time I go to ANY beach with volleyball courts I'll keep it in mind.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:27 PM

Another thought...
Do not stay between the lines as they say. Detect about 5' around the entire vollyball court and also up against the vertical posts. I pulled a diamond ring out of the sand about 6' behind the back boundry. Sometimes they stretch for a "save shot" outside the lines. Rock on!
Marty

Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Elite Member

I use a metal detector and just do simple grids. I usually don't work them but some have found good stuff there. I just have not been lucky and the summer here makes the dry sand hell. Closer to the water is more fun. You just swing man.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 PM

I'd add that a volleyball court would be a primary goal for "micro jewelry" hunt. So, described gridding technique would be a preparation stage. Using conventional machine sanitize the court, removing all metal junk as well as relatively big good targets. Then you need high frequency prospecting detector (White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug etc) and micro sifter. At this stage you will be looking for those small thin gold rings, pendants, chains, medallions and tiny stud diamond ear rings.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 PM

i used to detect two vb courts and aways found more between the two then in the courts themselfs so if you don't get anything in the area check the outside area also use all metal as you will get the best depth and most likely the gold as it wilsink the fastest in the sand as people play