What are the chances this is a meteorite ? UPDATE !!!

b270h

It's HIGHLY magnetic , very heavy for it's size 12.28 grams. It measures 23 mm wide 15mm deep and 10 mm at the thickest point. I used the edge of a file on it and it looks like dark shinny metal under the burnt looking coating or crust. And there are some small shinny looking crystals in and on it . What do you guys think ?
I'm sending a test sample. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• IMAG0415.jpg
    IMAG0415.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 698
  • IMAG0418.jpg
    IMAG0418.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 666
  • IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 671
  • IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 583
  • IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
i suppose anything is possible , however the number of metorites found in the US is minimal. Hope it is, good luck

Well everything I've read still has me thinking I may have a space rock . I'm not a math wiz but I followed directions and calculated the density of my rock at 7 Rock Type Density in grams / milliliter (mL)
Granite 2.8
Sandstone 2.6
Basalt or lava rock 3.1
Hematite 5.1
Stony meteorite 3.5
Iron meteorite 8.0

I'm not sure how you figured the specific gravity but first you weigh the sample in air. Then weight the sample in a container of water. To do this, you need a set of scales that allows a sample holder to attach to the bottom of the scales in order to weigh it in water.

Bulk Specific Gravity = A/B-C
Where:
A = mass, in grams, of sample in air.
B = mass, in grams, of surface dry specimen in air.
C = mass, in grams, of sample in water.

I once was at an auction where the great grandaddy had supposedly seen a meteor hit the ground and it was being auctioned off with other family heirlooms. The "rock" weighed about a hundred pounds. As I was examining it, I noticed that it had some native rock stuck to it. Someone else asked me what I thought. I told them that I was a geologist and I didn't think it was a meteorite. The next thing I know, a woman was sticking a phone in my face saying "talk to my boss." It was a lawyer from a nearby town who had sent her to bid on the rock. I told him that I thought that it was secondary hematite and not a meteorite. I had about ten people leaning towards me, listening in. It sold for $200.

There are 3 types of meteorites.
1 Iron
2 Stone
3 Stony/Iron

It could be a Iron meteorite. It does kinda look like it has cooling lines where it could have entered the atmosphere. If it is an iron meteorite it will be seriously hard, very magnetic and very expensive.
Hope that it is.
Good Luck

I hope it is too . Wise , I used weight and volume dry by measurments to calculate density as per another "So you think you found a meteorite" website. I will see if I can use your method today. I'm waiting to hear back from the Maryland Science Center to see if someone there could give me some help with a more conclusive answer . I hope it's the real deal ( Daddy needs a new AT Pro ) Thanks Guys

It's HIGHLY magnetic , very heavy for it's size 12.28 grams. It measures 23 mm wide 15mm deep and 10 mm at the thickest point. I used the edge of a file on it and it looks like dark shinny metal under the burnt looking coating or crust. And there are some small shinny looking crystals in and on it . What do you guys think ?
I'm sending a test sample. Wish me luck.

Not a Meteorite, Nickel/Iron meteorites are Silver inside...looks to be Magnetite..

The crystal structure sticking out of the first photo bothers me in regards to it being a meteorite. However, I hope it turns out to be one.

Streak Test

Here's a way to tell...
1. Take the water Tank Lid off your toilet
2. Turn it upside down so the underside is facing you
3. Take your rock and scrap it along the unglazed portion of the tank lid

If it leaves a RED streak it's Hematite
If it leaves a BLACK streak it's Magnetite
If it leaves a BROWN streak it's Limonite

All three are Iron Ores and magnetic, these are the most commonly misidentified as Meteorites.. Hope this helps

It made more of a gray than a black line and metal doesn't stick to it . It sticks to a magnet. I mailed a sample to an astronomer this morning whom based on the pics offered to have it tested for me at the university in the city where he is currently working on meteorites . I will be on pins & neddles for a while I think because that city happens to be in another country .

It made more of a gray than a black line and metal doesn't stick to it . It sticks to a magnet. I mailed a sample to an astronomer this morning whom based on the pics offered to have it tested for me at the university in the city where he is currently working on meteorites . I will be on pins & neddles for a while I think because that city happens to be in another country .

I'm a Meteorite Dealer, I've owned a Meteorite web site for 10 years now, I've held thousands of Meteorites in my hands and own many hundreds of them, and I can tell you it's NOT a meteorite...don't get your hopes up.
I do sell Meteorite Testing kits if interested... www.meteoritesplus.com

I'm a Meteorite Dealer, I've owned a Meteorite web site for 10 years now, I've held thousands of Meteorites in my hands and own many hundreds of them, and I can tell you it's NOT a meteorite...don't get your hopes up.
I do sell Meteorite Testing kits if interested... www.meteoritesplus.com

Just curious Meteoriteman..... but what would the mark on the underside of the toilet tank lid be if it WERE a meteorite? And I read the link up above that another user posted on determining meteorites and most of them pictured had a cracked up leathery appearance on the surface. Is this common of ALL meteorites?

Here's a way to tell...
1. Take the water Tank Lid off your toilet
2. Turn it upside down so the underside is facing you
3. Take your rock and scrap it along the unglazed portion of the tank lid

If it leaves a RED streak it's Hematite
If it leaves a BLACK streak it's Magnetite
If it leaves a BROWN streak it's Limonite

All three are Iron Ores and magnetic, these are the most commonly misidentified as Meteorites.. Hope this helps

Do those streaks count for the toilet bowl also? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom