Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big Boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Default Seems I'm digging false readings with my white?

I seem to be digging a lot of strong signals from my white coin master 3900D but coming up empty? Can there be false signals that are strong, and pin the meter? ...B/C I'm digging an awful lot of them!
Or is something a miss with me or the detector?

How do I test my detector to determine if a part / component is bad or week? And are parts readily available, and Then can I fix it myself? I can solder.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Elite Member

When you get a loud signal like that, try passing your coil over the target as you raise it a foot or so above the ground. If it's still loud, it's something big deep and ugly....move on.

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM

Or it could be somthing small right on top of the ground or really shallow and when you dig your plug and turn it over your pinpointer may not be able to pick it up. In the future if you have a loud responce try locating it with your pinpointer before you dig. I have had it happen a lot of times and the pointer can save a lot of wasted digging.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 AM

good tip piddle. that has happened to me several times before. and whos to say that really deep ugly target isent a cache in a mason jar

Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Elite Member

As far as testing / making sure everything is working well I would send it to their headquarters in Sweet Home, OR. Whites customer service can not be beat. I just sent in my XLT for a 'once over' they sent it back with a new coil, new screen and new ribbon cables. The performed a resistance test on my old coil and it didn't pass their requirements so I got a new one. Can't complain, the unit was over 15 years old. Shipped, fixed, and back in my hands in 8 days. Sending in my beach hunter 300 for the same treatment.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Elite Member

I used the 3900D for 20+ years before upgrading so I'm pretty familiar with it. I think the folks above have nailed it. It could be a smaller item giving a strong signal and if you dig a plug and flip it then your item is now covered. Use the pinpointer first before digging a plug to get a closer approximation on how deep the item is. As you know, that machine doesn't have a depth gauge and the intensity meter doesn't really tell you how deep to dig. It could be picking up on large deep items also. If you don't mind digging them, then go for it!

I loved my old 3900D, but after moving up, I look back now and wonder how in the heck I stayed with it so long!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Elite Member

There is one more possibility. Angled coins read and pinpoint to the side of their real location. This is where handheld pinpointers REALLY help. You can find something several inches to the side without making the entire hole 3 times as big.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

Correct me if I'm wrong I don't know much , couldn't it just be hot rocks ? Happened to me before

Old 01-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j piddle View Post
Or it could be somthing small right on top of the ground or really shallow and when you dig your plug and turn it over your pinpointer may not be able to pick it up. In the future if you have a loud responce try locating it with your pinpointer before you dig. I have had it happen a lot of times and the pointer can save a lot of wasted digging.
Really, if you raise the coil more than a foot or so, even a small desireable target at the surface will dissappear. Just like an air test.

If your machine air tests a silver dollar @ 15", then just be sure to raise the coil more than that. If a suspect target is still loud with the coil raised further than you can air test on a dollar, do you really need to even investigate? If you're a relic hunter it doesn't matter because you'll dig it anyway, but if you're a coin shooter I see little point.

My knees don't need the exercise just to chase ghosts or garbage.

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.