Excal Battery Pod Cracks

imalookin2

"In Memory Of"
Forum Supporter
I saw some posts about the cracks that appear on the Excal batteries where the connector mounts. I saw someone talking about a fix for that. I know Max had some real bad batteries that did that. Anyone have a fix for this problem? Is the head where the cracks appear available to buy? Maybe the whole empty pod is available as a replacement? Thanks in advance for any help.

ahhh, dont worrie about it, just leave it with me after your visit and Ill see if I can fix it over the next 2-3 years:laughing::laughing::p and christmas is coming, I already got you something:roll: and youll never guess:no::laughing: see ya in 10 days buddy...gl+hh.....cliffy.

Most of those cracks are cosmetic and won't affect the pod at all... just stop using the impact took when tightening it and you should be fine :D

ahhh, dont worrie about it, just leave it with me after your visit and Ill see if I can fix it over the next 2-3 years:laughing::laughing::p and christmas is coming, I already got you something:roll: and youll never guess:no::laughing: see ya in 10 days buddy...gl+hh.....cliffy.
I KNEW you were Santa when I met you!! Oh blip, now I got to get you something. How about a Hawaiian Punch? :laughing: You would probably kick my A$$ though so never mind.

Most of those cracks are cosmetic and won't affect the pod at all... just stop using the impact took when tightening it and you should be fine :D
I will know more when I get it. Comes with a nice package coming my way, extra battery. The seller is a great guy and threw it in. Back to the dark side, Excal 2.

Down the road, once I have mastered my lathe, I can make the endcaps..you just need to call ikelite to get the connector. Most are cosmetic like craig said. But I have seen them cause issues also, special when people use them as the endcap on the main pod. Also I have a friend that is doing a great job at casing them, he is close to perfection........

Attachments

• OBN0009.jpg
    OBN0009.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,507
  • OBN0007.jpg
    OBN0007.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,193
  • SNAG-0008.jpg
    SNAG-0008.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,114
There is a person on Ebay selling aftermarket end caps, have to specify if it's needed for battery or headphone after winning auction. I just received a battery end cap last week and the look, fit and finish are good to me. Cost me $35.00 shipped FYI.

Greg it is usually from tightening too tight.You add grease you don't realize the added pressure to the threads.I been installing plastic ballcocks in toilets for a loooong time.Always hand tightened the plastic supply nut.never split one.Give an apprentice a pair of pliers and he'd flood the house out splitting one and not know it.People don't realize the battery pod will also crack easily on the ears.You can split a brand new battery pod ear first time out of the box if you aren't careful by back mounting and overtighten the bolt.

I seen them and I believe he is one of there ex employes,, that is original stuff, good buy at 35..ikelite black connector is like 26.oo, I think...

Last edited:
endcap tester for pod, never seen one of these....he must be a ex to have this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCALIBUR-L...767?pt=US_Metal_Detectors&hash=item3f200a593f

The leak checker end cap will tell you if your excalibur is leaking or if you have a weak seal you simply remove the headphone cap replace it with the leak checker [valve cap] inject 6 or7 pounds of air into the machine you can use a bicycle pump or air compressor set on low 8 pounds of air. submerge the complete machine into your bath tub or 5 gal bucket watch for air bubbles if you see any look for the location of the bubbles that is where the machine is leaking or the seal is weak and will leak after time to check the headphone end cap remove the coil and battery end cap install the valve end cap inject air same procedure. these are handy if you are replacing a coil or after market coil or battery connector.will tell you if you have a hole in your coil wire or battery cable.

Attachments

• $T2eC16h,!)kE9s4,BugMBQ)lYVum)Q~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16h,!)kE9s4,BugMBQ)lYVum)Q~~60_12.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,318
There is a person on Ebay selling aftermarket end caps, have to specify if it's needed for battery or headphone after winning auction. I just received a battery end cap last week and the look, fit and finish are good to me. Cost me $35.00 shipped FYI.
That is good if the product is good too. Can you please post his link? Have you installed yet? Thanks for your post!

Sounds like a male growth appliance if I might say so. :D Sorry, I could not resist after reading. Yea, he is most def an EX.
endcap tester for pod, never seen one of these....he must be a ex to have this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCALIBUR-L...767?pt=US_Metal_Detectors&hash=item3f200a593f

The leak checker end cap will tell you if your excalibur is leaking or if you have a weak seal you simply remove the headphone cap replace it with the leak checker [valve cap] inject 6 or7 pounds of air into the machine you can use a bicycle pump or air compressor set on low 8 pounds of air. submerge the complete machine into your bath tub or 5 gal bucket watch for air bubbles if you see any look for the location of the bubbles that is where the machine is leaking or the seal is weak and will leak after time to check the headphone end cap remove the coil and battery end cap install the valve end cap inject air same procedure. these are handy if you are replacing a coil or after market coil or battery connector.will tell you if you have a hole in your coil wire or battery cable.

That is good if the product is good too. Can you please post his link? Have you installed yet? Thanks for your post!

As of now I've only just lubed the o-ring with silicone grease and fit the cap on an empty battery pod I have to check the fit, fit was snug and the 2 screw holes lined up good. Here is a link for a current auction - http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCALIBUR-B...363?pt=US_Metal_Detectors&hash=item3f200abd3b .

While on the subject of cracks on end caps, I had my older blue Excal set up with the Ikelite end cap for removable headphones. Probably due to over tightening a crack developed which did leak salt water into the control unit causing the detector become unstable, fortunately for me Minelab (Las Vegas) only had to clean up a little corrosion as a repair and replace the end cap.

Down the road, once I have mastered my lathe, I can make the endcaps..you just need to call ikelite to get the connector. Most are cosmetic like craig said. But I have seen them cause issues also, special when people use them as the endcap on the main pod. Also I have a friend that is doing a great job at casing them, he is close to perfection........
:wow::wow:Thank you Joe!!:yes::yes:

Joe,wish i had your skills.My dad was a machinist and even made surgical tools.He used to redo crankshafts,connecting rods and camshafts for a living.Made my mom a meat tenderizer that broke the kitchen counter when she tried it:lol: Only thing he didn't leave me was a lathe.Got lots of the tools to try it with.Micrometers,tools for machining.Never got him to show me how to cut a lathe on.Makes me smile watching you machine those parts.

Attachments

• File47.jpg
    File47.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,209
  • File145.jpg
    File145.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,206
Love those pics..I had a couple friends over the years that had similar skills, I really enjoyed talking to them, they could make just about anything.....like your dad......thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom