Not your everyday find !!

hssea

Wow !!! This range up at loud 82-83, had a heck of a time finding it in the mud. When I saw it ..."oh my" !!! Wife did some research last night and I'm not even going to go into what this could be. Today went to local university and meet with a professor. He is going to contact Michigan State's archaelogist's and will be taking it down there in few weeks when attending a meeting. Professor said several copper arrowheads have been found in the area but usually not this size.

DSC02388 (800x600).jpg

DSC02389 (800x600).jpg

PS....also found a siver ring, a 1917 wheat and little clad. All and all a good day :grin:

Last edited:
I believe what you have is a Spearhead. Don't clean it in any way! What you have found might be a Copper Culture Artifact. The natives in your area started using Copper to make tools around 5000 BC. Check out this site.
http://copperculture.homestead.com/

That's what I was reading last night. Only washed it with soap and water in remove mud. History professor is calling the archaelogists and will bring it with him when he goes down there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's from the archaic period !! That would be so neat, we would donate it to a museum if they would like to display it

I was fortunate enough to find (Copper Spearhead) one this summer. I have photos of it in a thread in eye popping finds called "Southern Shield Archaic Copper Spearhead" If you want I can send a photo to a friend of mine to look at. She's the retired Curator of a Copper Culture Museum in Minnesota and is currently working on a book which will be the most complete work on the subject. I know she would love to document your find in her work. She will keep your find confidential if you so choose, or it can be a part of her book with your name in the credits. It's up to you. Once again and don't clean it in any way. These natives were the first metal fabricators on our Continent. What a great and hopefully historical find. Congrats:goodluck:

They would poop their pants if you walked in a donated it out of the blue. I'm kind of thinking on doing the same myself.
LOL !!!
I was fortunate enough to find (Copper Spearhead) one this summer. I have photos of it in a thread in eye popping finds called "Southern Shield Archaic Copper Spearhead" If you want I can send a photo to a friend of mine to look at. She's the retired Curator of a Copper Culture Museum in Minnesota and is currently working on a book which will be the most complete work on the subject. I know she would love to document your find in her work. She will keep your find confidential if you so choose, or it can be a part of her book with your name in the credits. It's up to you. Once again and don't clean it in any way. These natives were the first metal fabricators on our Continent. What a great and hopefully historical find. Congrats:goodluck:

Hi, from the wife (LOL) who didn't go MD with him yesterday...darn it !!! It would be sooo cool if its from the archaic period !! How do they go about dating items like this ? I"ll have to go check out your spearhead. I'll let my hubby know when he gets home about the curator of the museum (do they have a website?).

They date the points by the style and base as you cannot carbon date Copper. I'll message you a link to her "Archaic Copper Culture Newsletter" it's a monthly publication and I know for a fact she will feature your Spearhead in the next coming issue. These finds are very important and should be documented properly. She is "The" person you should contact in regards to your find, a leading expert in the field of Copper Artifacts and the culture. Once again congrats eh.

i would advise not to donate it. look online and way to many items are sold from museums every year. many more end up in storage out of sight of the public.

get the best of both worlds and place it on loan. it then displays for however long the museum wants it to and if they want to take it down, you get to take it home.

to each his own, great find! :yes:

Absolutely incredible... so much so I don't even know what to say! Does it get any better? Congrats on an incredibly historic find...

Back
Top Bottom