How Much Would YOU Pay?

Dick Stout

Just posted this on my website/blog and thought I would share it here as well. Curious as to how you all feel about this....

HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY?

After many years in this field I have come to the conclusion that the only way we can fight city hall is with a strong national organization. Yes, we have a few now, but we need ONE to do the talking and ONE to do the fighting. I have also come to the conlcusion that for this group to ever be effective it has to be a full time job for them with "paid" employees.

We can continue on as we have in the past, and attempt to right the wrongs with emails, letters, phone calls, etc., but it seems to be a long, drawn out, and mostly ineffective process. Yes, we win one or two here and there, but we also lose far to many. Frankly we need to put our money where our mouth is, and by that I mean, how much are you willing to pay to have such an organization fighting for you?

I say this with no agenda. I don't care which of the main groups out there take on this task. Just that it has to be full time, and it must be fully funded. So tell me, how much are you willing to pay, to have this group represent you? An NRA membership is $25 per year. Are you willing to shell out that much? I say "that much" because I suspect a lot of you would !!!!! at that, but hey it's a little over $2.00 per month.... Likewise the metal detector manufacturers would have to pony up too.

If you are reading this, and have an opinion or a suggestion, go to my blog and leave a comment. I believe it's time for all of us to put up or shut up.

Thanks,
ds
www.stoutstandards.com

Less Government

Just want to say I love your books. Very good info. On this issue , I think when you start putting money into a organization, it starts off with a great idea,but then it turns corrupt. Most organizations , corporations, and government are like this. They get to big , and then funds start being used for other things that they were not attended for. Sorry for my negative view , its hard to trust any big organization , after these last few years. Once you open this can of worms , whats next? Next they will have you buying metal detecting license's. There is not many things you can do any more, with out paying money to someone.

I would gladley pay that and more.let me know if I can do anything.

I don't know how things are where you are but I can always find a place to metal detect . I won't pay for the rights to detect where they don't want me and I won't pay to detect someone's property. If it gets that bad and i cna't sell my detectors I will stick them in the closet until people forget about detecting and go back at it again. Its sad hearing others in other states can't find places to go detecting. I have to think they just don't put their mind to finding place to go and enjoy.
M6 Mike
What is worse is those who believe eventually there will be no place with old coins. People aren't that good at detecting that old coins will not be here and there to be found. Its a hobby and it don't matter how many you find its the feeling when you finally find one to show your detecting buddies who care about this hobby and that is those of us on the Forum. We are happy for the lucky who find lots of them still and get a thrill when we get lucky and find one or two now and then. I guess some are always going to be jelous of others who are lucky can't help that but I believe the majority of us don't let it get us down if we aren't so lucky. Just goes to show there are places that still produce like in the old days of detecting.

I just detect for fun and adventure, just to relax. I'm not expecting to get rich, but there is a realistic chance of digging up something nice, dreams. I don't detect for hassles and fights, there is plenty of dirt around me, one place is just as good as any other. It doesn't hurt to pack it up, and find a new spot. Regardless of rules, regulations and laws, private property will always be open to detecting. We all have friends, family, co-workers, new neighbors, many would be willing, just for the asking.

I grew up on a mountain, out in Oregon, Mount Hood. And spent a lot of time during my childhood, wandering around in the woods. There were places you could walk for hours, and never see any sign that another human being had ever been there. No trash or litter, nothing carved into trees. You get this pure, clean feeling, like no where else. Might not be for everyone, but don't think it's okay, to push for the right to disturb restricted areas, where others might have enjoyed them untouched. Seems sort of pointless to fight for the right to hunt a patch of ground, and not even know if it was worth the effort to begin with. You fight, you win, and dig some trash, a few cents in change... Or from the publicity over your struggle, you find yous self elbow-to-elbow, with guys swinging Walmart specials and dragging garden spades, thinking the place must be loaded with treasure, since it was such a fight to get permission.

It's a hobby, it should be fun, not a fight. A more serious treasure hunter, who has done tons of research, on specific treasures, might need a lobby group, to get them onto restricted sights. Most of us, are just out there swinging blindly, with hopes and dreams.

I just detect for fun and adventure, just to relax. I'm not expecting to get rich, but there is a realistic chance of digging up something nice, dreams. I don't detect for hassles and fights, there is plenty of dirt around me, one place is just as good as any other. It doesn't hurt to pack it up, and find a new spot. Regardless of rules, regulations and laws, private property will always be open to detecting. We all have friends, family, co-workers, new neighbors, many would be willing, just for the asking.

I grew up on a mountain, out in Oregon, Mount Hood. And spent a lot of time during my childhood, wandering around in the woods. There were places you could walk for hours, and never see any sign that another human being had ever been there. No trash or litter, nothing carved into trees. You get this pure, clean feeling, like no where else. Might not be for everyone, but don't think it's okay, to push for the right to disturb restricted areas, where others might have enjoyed them untouched. Seems sort of pointless to fight for the right to hunt a patch of ground, and not even know if it was worth the effort to begin with. You fight, you win, and dig some trash, a few cents in change... Or from the publicity over your struggle, you find yous self elbow-to-elbow, with guys swinging Walmart specials and dragging garden spades, thinking the place must be loaded with treasure, since it was such a fight to get permission.

It's a hobby, it should be fun, not a fight. A more serious treasure hunter, who has done tons of research, on specific treasures, might need a lobby group, to get them onto restricted sights. Most of us, are just out there swinging blindly, with hopes and dreams.

This is one of the most articulate and well-worded posts I have seen in a long time. I agree whole-heartedly with every point you made.

your are not alone harvey

I enjoy the solitude of the lonely hunt grew up farming myself. I don't want or feel the need for any group to speak for me or my hobby. There are some places that just need to be left as is. Then you also have the possibility that as an organization the good old government will want to have oversight and their hand in your pocket. NO THANKS

Back
Top Bottom