Minelab Customer Service has stopped me from buying

CanSlaw

Elite Member
After seeing all of the current post regarding Minelab's customer service and the current problems. I have decided to hold off buying other new ML product. Most of my hunting buddies have backup Minelab's to their already $1,300. detectors. That's $2,600. in detectors trying to keep one working.

I was informed last night that one of our hunting friends, both Excalibur II's were now down and BOTH at Minelab for the 3rd and 4th times. That is sure not saying much for the current quality.

I know there is a gold rush going on with record detectors sales and a number of them are going to break. However, I don't want to play that game so I will stay with my old 1000 and my PI as a backup.

Just my opinion

I hear you CS..... im having some issues thats getting cleared up, but its frustration and takes time away from enjoying my hobby especially during prime time. With prices going up and technology as well..... you wonder how its going to impact repairs. Who is going to be put on the back burner? Buying used.... somewhere along the line those will need repair and you have to wait on your dime and time. It makes our choice of back up or new detector something we may need to think a little more about like you have CS. Like i said also.... its nice to get all those advertising goodies in our box..... but id prefer to get something like a AA battery pod or something i can use. These items will never replace word of mouth sells. Its not just a ML problem.

Dew

Sorry to hear about Your Machine Malfunctions..

Minelab customer service has been an issue since 2009. Some of their best American guys quit in 2011. Oh well, at least my Tesoro Sand Shark keeps on keepin' on! :cool:

Ditto

I know I am "newer" here, but I have been saying this for a while. I really enjoyed my excals, but sold both of mine because I refuse to tolerate the poor build quality and failing customer service. I am quite happy with my current detectors and will continue to avoid Minelab until they clean up their act, or OBN starts servicing them (assuming he will.) It's too bad, because the excal, although heavy, performs quite well when it's working.

Ummm wasnt it a Tesoro that got lost recently and a different machine was sent to him??? Ya i thought so. Then we got the AT Pro..... there are horror stories from all the major companies its not just ML with repair issues. I have to get Whites a high 5 thou ive not heard much bad about their repairs, but they do have more than one repair location to speed up repairs. The Xcal heavy??? mine is very well balanced and i hunt sometime all day. Being happy with your choice of equipment is whats it all about.

Dew

I surely hope I never have to deal with ML customer service. One coil sent back and it returned a long time later, just showed up at the door. I already had another one.......... I've had I think 11 ML's and have not had a problem out of narry a one of them. My Excal II's I treat like babies along with my GT. One might break tomorrow but so far so good. Some of the machines I see during videos people post definitely look like they use their detectors for the digger and I wouldn't know what they would use their diggers for? Theses are very breakable none the less. I'll never forget hunting with several people and they would just throw them in the back of the pickup truck????????????? IDK

I hear you CS..... im having some issues thats getting cleared up, but its frustration and takes time away from enjoying my hobby especially during prime time. With prices going up and technology as well..... you wonder how its going to impact repairs. Who is going to be put on the back burner? Buying used.... somewhere along the line those will need repair and you have to wait on your dime and time. It makes our choice of back up or new detector something we may need to think a little more about like you have CS. Like i said also.... its nice to get all those advertising goodies in our box..... but id prefer to get something like a AA battery pod or something i can use. These items will never replace word of mouth sells. Its not just a ML problem.

Dew

Dew,
If I were to purchase another Excal it would be a used pre 2009. I would take my chances on outside repairs or it would be a throw-a-way before I would buy a new one then another one just to have one that was working because the build quality and repair quality has gotten so poor.

There seems to be no comparison to the quality of the older Excalibur's compared to the new units.

Minelab customer service has been an issue since 2009. Some of their best American guys quit in 2011. Oh well, at least my Tesoro Sand Shark keeps on keepin' on! :cool:

Hey there Terry. I sold my PI . But I'm keeping my Xcal 1000, explorer II & BHID. Not thinking of buying anything new for awhile. House on the market, going to Fl. Hope to see you this summer at the beaches. As for Minelab ????? a friend sent in a coil 5 months ago, still waiting & many, many a phone call. I feel & what I hear the new Minelabs are getting cheaper built. Everyone this is only my opinion.
Rem

I've been seriously considering adding a sov to my arsenal, and was considering an excal as a back-up water machine. I've been curious about both. I'm convinced at this point that investing in either of those machines is ill advised. I think I'll pick up another Infinium as a back-up instead. I'd like to spend time comparing the excal with my machine, but won't be willing to risk not having it due to "iffy" customer service and repair...too bad.
I know most excal users love them. I'd love to check them out....but.... Same for the sov. I can't justify the expense knowing I may have to go for weeks or months without it....HH Bill

ML needs to get their act together. There is no excuse for all these issues...especially being the most expensive on the market. Was at a club seeded hunt today, 3 people there have ML machines in for service and just hope they get them back before summer is over. They recommended I stay away from any new ML machines until their quality control and customer service improves. I'm so bummed....darn it I want an Excal 2, but I don't want one that spends more time at the repair shop then in the water.

Hey there Terry. I sold my PI . But I'm keeping my Xcal 1000, explorer II & BHID. Not thinking of buying anything new for awhile. House on the market, going to Fl. Hope to see you this summer at the beaches. As for Minelab ????? a friend sent in a coil 5 months ago, still waiting & many, many a phone call. I feel & what I hear the new Minelabs are getting cheaper built. Everyone this is only my opinion.
Rem

Great to hear from you Rem!!!!! Going to be out there early Monday morning.

All this talk really scares me, I have only had mine for 5 months and so far, knock on wood, have had no issues at all, seems like it really does what it is supposed to, I know though that all items that are used in salt water, will take abuse and if not made properly, will be even worse,,,,crossing my fingers here,

I will say this much about Garrett. I, back in Feb bought a lightly used AT-Pro, Pro Pointer and lots of goodies from a guy in Arizona off Ebay. Well, In March of this year I submerged my AT-Pro for the first time. It freaked out very shortly after. Got water inside it. I called Garrett and spoke with Brad. He said even tho I was not the original buyer and that since the machine was not even 2 years old. Send in the control box with coil and they'd fix it and send it back under warranty, I paid next day shipping cause I wanted my machine back. Well, Forward to this last week. My Pro Pointer's sensitivity has gone away. Seems to not even wanna pick up a quarter any more than 1 1/4" away even with an air test. Pennies, Much less, more like 3/4 " Making it useless in the field. I again emailed Garrett and Brad again replied to me. He told me to send it in and they will address the issue and fix or replace it. I just pay shipping to them. So far, given my situation. Garrett receives an AAAAAA+++++++ For customer service even when I talked to Brad on the phone. This is what customer service SHOULD be by everyone. I have never had this kind of customer service ANYWHERE in my 43 years of life on this planet. So, take from this what you will. Pay 3x what you want for your machines and get zero customer service. Im very happy with what I have in my AT-Pro and Garrett. No, I'm not knocking all your fancy high dollar machines. I'm just sayin' what good are they when they have no customer service back up? Unless you can fix them yourself. Also picking up a second PP from a sponsor here on the site. Saw his name mentioned in one of the Pro Pointer threads, contacted him and he gave me a price. I'm just waiting for them to contact me on Monday for payment and shipping info. Another A+ contact. Good luck all. Happy hunting and keep the coils tight to the ground.

That's why my backup machine is a Garrett Sea Hunter. Over the years I have always had perfect service from Garrett. If we could get Minelab to take lessons from companies like Garrett or Whites, I might purchase a ML again, but not in their current corporate mess.

Another thing that ticks me off with ML is they will not sell parts if you want to attempt a DIY repair. That to me is just unreal. I have a hard time supporting a company that that is the only way they will do business.

:laughing:was looking for another reason why I buy from NED..additional 2 year warranty. I keep finding more reasons when I really dont need any

All this talk really scares me, I have only had mine for 5 months and so far, knock on wood, have had no issues at all, seems like it really does what it is supposed to, I know though that all items that are used in salt water, will take abuse and if not made properly, will be even worse,,,,crossing my fingers here,

Knock on wood I think you got a good one and would not be concerned, maybe it was old stock. Man I would work it hard and find that loot! If I can find an new, old stock one I'd buy it without a second thought...seems to be the recently manufactured units that are giving issues. Good Luck, HH!

The Excals are wonderful detectors. But they need their share of TLC. No dropping. No harsh cable pulling. I never hunted in all metal because of switching the discrimination knob all the time. I knew the switch would wear out.

I think Minelab customer support is in the spotlight right now because of the 3030 and new release issues. But when you charge top dollar for your product people have expectations.

Rem, sorry to hear you're leaving beautiful Long Island. Well good for you. You're going to the happy metal detecting country down south. Soon you'll be md'ing all year round in your shorts. Hope to see you on the beach soon.

Man who says word of mouth isnt the most effective way to induce or KILL sales. There are issues i hope ML looks at in any future Xcal productions.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom