9.6 V Maha Imedion rechargeable. Review.

Coin Machine

9.6 V Maha Imedion rechargeable.

I posted this in another thread, but I want more folks to see it.

After a while, heres my review.

The 9.6 V Maha Imedion batterys work good. They end up at 11.3volts when done charging.
My F2 and GPP work just fine with them.

Im getting 8-10 hours or so on them before a charge is needed on the F2.
The GPP battery lasted 2 weeks though...so 20 hours before the batt needed a charge.

This is all good and everything.....
But....

When they START to lose their charge...the die FAST.
From full, to one bar, to DEAD in a few minutes.
They do NOT die slowly, as Ive experienced with reg Energizers.
Maybe because they are 230MaH?

They measure at 9.4 volts when "dead." Reg Energizers measure about 7.6-7.8 volts before their "dead."

Twice now Ive had to use my spare batteries because they died so FAST while hunting.

And Ill add...today when they died I switched the batt from the GPP to the F2 and that made it possible to keep hunting untiol i got home to recharge them all.

Last edited:
Different chemistry, have different discharge curves. Lithium batteries drop off pretty quick, not to mention there is a small protection circuit, to prevent overcharging, and over discharging.

You aren't going to find rechargeable batteries that last as long, the price you pay, for reusing them. You shouldn't have to wait, until they are completely dead, to recharge them, no memory effect, like with NiCd batteries. You can either buy enough spares to get you through, or charge them before going out, after you are done for the day.

Different chemistry, have different discharge curves. Lithium batteries drop off pretty quick, not to mention there is a small protection circuit, to prevent overcharging, and over discharging.

You aren't going to find rechargeable batteries that last as long, the price you pay, for reusing them. You shouldn't have to wait, until they are completely dead, to recharge them, no memory effect, like with NiCd batteries. You can either buy enough spares to get you through, or charge them before going out, after you are done for the day.

I didn't know this. After checking online, you're right. I thought I had to wait for them to get really low, or die, before charging them.
I guess not. This is better...lol.
They charge quickly.

That's why I don't use rechargables. When I first started detecting, one of my favorite detectors used fourteen AA batteries. That is a lot of weight to carry spares. I usually am quite a way from my car when hunting. The machine came with recharagble batteries and even with so many, they last a long time, a couple months and thats quite a bit as much as I detect. When the rechargables die, they don't do it slowly. It happens all at once. The Alkiline batteries taper off, just getting weaker with plenty of time to replace them. That's all I use anymore.

I've always used rechargeable batteries in my MD ( ACE 250 with nearly 400 hours on it and nothing but rechargeables), I have two sets of four each of the 2300 mAh and two sets of four each of the 2500 mAh NUON ( http://bit.ly/MzmkqF ) and the current batch is about 5 years old and still working great! The ACE gets anywhere between 18 and 22 hours on four of these, but it has a battery meter so I know when they are getting low. I now also have a SURF PI detector and changing batteries in the field is a NO NO for me, so I plan on putting a freshly charged set in before each hunt while I am at home so I can make sure the rubber O Ring maintains it's water tight integrity. I'll keep y'all posted on the SURF PI with rechargeable batteries.

the surf pi is great with recharge batt. I always charge them before I leave the house...I never open the unit outside the house and have never had a battery go dead....the batteries are 5 years old now and my hunts are 6 hours plus and the battery stills shows 10.5 volts + at the end of the day...these are AA 2500mah NIMH.....I have been on 2 hunts before where the total was over 11 hours an they were still going strong(forgot to recharge).....

Back
Top Bottom