Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detector Spot
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 PM

Default Civil War Relics in Alabama

Hi I am very new to detecting and I live in an area of Alabama that is in the direct path that general wilson led his troops when he was on his march to defeat nathan bedford forest. I know I cant hunt any historical sites but I plan on hitting random wooded areas that wilson or his troops may have traveled. Should I be worried about being arrested for hunting these areas if I have permission to hunt on private property?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Elite Member

Location: KANSAS.. by way of Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay and Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsize1974 View Post
Hi I am very new to detecting and I live in an area of Alabama that is in the direct path that general wilson led his troops when he was on his march to defeat nathan bedford forest. I know I cant hunt any historical sites but I plan on hitting random wooded areas that wilson or his troops may have traveled. Should I be worried about being arrested for hunting these areas if I have permission to hunt on private property?
Stay out of places like Briarfield and Tannehill, big fine and they can confiscate your stuff too, I think.

Otherwise, if these wooded areas are on private property and you have permission...no sweat.
If some of these woods are in parks that you are allowed to hunt, also no sweat.

If you know the path, just look for public areas along that path...you never know.

I was hunting a little park in Helena, minding my own business and happily digging clad, when I rolled over and dug something strange just 2 feet off the walking path and only a couple of inches down.
Had no idea what it was till I posted a picture here a few weeks later and the people here were nice enough to clue me in.
A grapeshot cannon ball!
Still one of my best finds, ever!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 PM

I made the mistake of breaking out my detector when I was on a camping trip at brierfield. They were really nice but firm about no detecting. I have a couple of items I dug before the halted me I will post some pics tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  72.9 KBHere is a pic of 2 pieces of lead from Briarfield ironworks. I found these before I was politely asked to quit metal detecting.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsize1974 View Post
Attachment 159158Here is a pic of 2 pieces of lead from Briarfield ironworks. I found these before I was politely asked to quit metal detecting.

I was there last weekend, I didn't even try. We camped in the middle of that field. There are bullets lying all over that field because it is a firing range and has been since the 1980s and before. They fire a lot of muskets, mini balls, and early rifles at Brierfield and have shooting contests there regularly using those.

Are you sure the bullets are not modern? They don't look like they have as white a patina as most civil war bullets have.