CW, WWI-WW2 Buttons in my yard

BB_in_Maine

Elite Member
I had never dug a military button before, but last week I dug two, both in my yard... Gotta love living in an 1840's house... The first is an 1860's Civil War Cavalry Officer's button which I am still cleaning but have managed to save most of the gilding. The coolest part about this find is that the son of the man who built the house I live in was a 23 year old Lieutenant in the Maine Cavalry during the Civil War - joined in 1862 - he saw action and was wounded, but made it home. I have included his military photo - look at his jacket and those buttons on it... this could have actually been one of those very buttons... Just incredible. I am trying to locate living descendants to return this item to the family. The second button I found ten feet from my front step - could not believe it popped out. It's called the 'Great Seal Button', adopted by the military in 1902 and used through the end of WWII. With this button, the military adopted..."One style for all arms and all grades, private to Lt. General. Bronze for service and gilt for dress. The design is a copy of the great seal of the U.S." It's amazing the history we walk over every day, and I think it's also important to think about the lives of the people who dropped all the interesting things that we find... Cheers,and HH, BB

Attachments

• april02_006.jpg
    april02_006.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 786
  • march 30_001-2.jpg
    march 30_001-2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 618
  • april05_001.jpg
    april05_001.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,199
What a great find! So cool to see the history behind finds like this. GL in your search for living decendents. I hope to find something like this myself some day. It really cleaned up well!

Thanks all! Awesome Keith... being a Vermonter originally a prize possesion for me would be a Vermont state button... I get home and hunt when I can... Last time I was home I got an 1865 2 center, so a button from the same time period is not completely out of the question... Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom