Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detector Reviews
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

View Poll Results: What's a good detector for a beginner?
Tesoro Compadre 60 8.08%
Tesoro Silver uMax 39 5.25%
Fisher F2 163 21.94%
Garrett At Pro 69 9.29%
Garrett Ace 250, 350 199 26.78%
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV 52 7.00%
Xterra 305, 505 28 3.77%
Whites Coinmaster, Coinmaster Pro 60 8.08%
BH Discovery 1100, 2200, 3300 16 2.15%
Other 57 7.67%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Elite Member

Garret Ace 350 is perfect for beginners, get used to that DD. And the 350 comes as a starter pack.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 PM

I think that it depends on what you want to use it for. but, everybody has there own opine ,and that there are so many different kinds out there. I for one have looked up and down the net and read a lot of people's comments. It's like looking for a car and not knowing which one to pick. they have top bands for the each thing. it's hard, it also, depends on how much money you have to spend, and how much you want to get into detecting, because metal detecting isn't cheap,and after you get start there the different coils that cost to,and other goodies too. I picked the white's mxt pro but that's me. and I like what i got. bottom line is you and what you want,and have money for

Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 PM

Great poll. I went with the F2, and quickly learned it was not up to my standard of performance. Love my Explorer SE though. Go for the Garrett brands for first MD. IMO.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Elite Member

The Teknetics Alpha 2000 could be described as a decent starter detector, they are less than $200.00 brand new.
Attached Images

cell phone # or to send text (315)-528-6709
Friendly Metal Detecting Forum Sponsor

Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 AM

I did ask in a thread of my own but will ask here also.. Looking for a treasure hunting detector under $500 that I can use on the beach and shallow salt water.

Really looking for gold stuff (coins and such) that way have washed up on the beach. Still a total noob so I want to start off with something small to make sure I enjoy it enough first.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Elite Member

I started with the BH Pioneer 505. It finds ok but I found the VDI distracting an not very reliable. After a year or so I got a Tesoro Vaquero, fell in love with it, so introduced my Wife to the BH. She likes it and enjoys useing it.

Needing (wanting) another detector I just purchased a Tesore Compadre to carry as a backup and for guests/homeowners to use. From the majority of reports I have seen it is a real easiy to learn detector and would be good for someone just starting out. Lifetime Warranty, Less then $200 ($160 New), and by some accounts will pay for itself in a few months of detecting. I don't think a VDI unit is necessary to find treasure so if I upgrade it will be to another, non VDI, Tesore Tejon most likely.

Just my 2 Indian Heads.

Currently I dig everything, but, I have learned when not to.

Last edited by Brittany-Guy; 04-28-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Darn typo's

Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM

If you buy a Compadre, how do you know how deep the object is?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Elite Member

buy as much house as you can, buy as much detector as you can. the resale on more advanced machines is good and they are all fairly easy to learn... even the one they made for geeks

Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchild49 View Post
With experience. When starting out you dig 'every target' with any detector. If you have a detector with a screen you will find that some time they are wrong. Without
a screen you will be able to learn by raising the coil to see when the signal is lost and seeing how much above the ground the coil is, then digging the target and measuring how deep it really was and do the math. It gets easier the more you dig.

I have found, using both types that, after digging many targets, that I am more accurate with the non-screen detectors than with the screen. Dig enough targets and you will soon learn to judge the depth. You will also learn that there are different ground conditions that can confuse both you and the detectors as far a depth is concerned.

The more you dig the more you learn.

Happy hunting with which ever you detector decide on. It is an addictive hobby and a heck of a lot of fun.

Currently I dig everything, but, I have learned when not to.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDigger View Post
I vote for the AT Pro ONLY because that is what I went with for the type of hunting I was interested in doing.
Agreed. And I would have voted for the AT Pro if the Ace250,350 was not on the list but it was so I had to go with the Ace for someone starting out since its not as pricey for a beginner who might not want to spend so much when just starting out to see if they like it or not and its very similar to the AT Pro when in its normal mode so when you do use the Pro Mode you will be able to get used to it easier, I first started on a no name detector when I was a kid and got the ace250 and a few minelabs when I got more serious then picked up a AT Pro when it came out a few years ago and enjoy it, dont plan on looking back for a new machine anytime soon! Do the research depending on what type of detecting you are going to do the most and make a detector choice thats best for you!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 AM

How about the Teknetics Delta 4000? Bart says its a very underated metal detector.. I am seriously thinking on this one

Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 PM

delete. I found my answer

Last edited by dogthenine; 06-15-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Found my answer

Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM

really enjoying the F2..

Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbat View Post
Well i voted the Compadre.Reason, very simple turn on and go MD that will very easily find just about anything the higher priced units will including very small jewlery and coins,very user friendly,great for kids and adults wanting something that will perform well and not break the bank.Just an all around good detector in my opinion.
Ditto my friend. The experience I have had with my Compadre was identical. I would also add the lack of VDI, in my opinion, is a benefit as there is much less to distract the user and much less to go wrong.

HH all.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Elite Member

I voted ace 250 I just love mine as it is my main detector while on land. Bought it used on Craigslist couple of years ago and it's still has me figuring out new ways to detect and finding killer finds! It has more then paid for itself 3x's over good luck and happy hunting.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Default Garrett AT Pro

My first detector was homemade from a transistor radio from Popular Electronics Magazine plans and 45 years ago. This was followed quickly by a Heathkit unit which I used for about 4 years. After 40+ years I bought an AT Pro on the advice of Bart at Big Boys Hobbies ( a sponser of this site and a Class Act in my opinion) and because it is waterproof under ordinary circumstances. In the few weeks that I have had it, it has proved a killer on coins and I hope to get it up in the hills to look for relics soon. There is a learning curve but as Bart said "You can learn in the Standard modes and grow into the Pro modes". It may be too much for some beginners moneywise or learning curvewise but I agree with a previous commentor who said to "buy the Most Detector you can Afford". I will probably buy another detector (very high end) within a year or so (from Bart) and keep the ATP as a backup. In the mean time, this machine has a lot of untapped potential......................metalwrkr

Old 08-12-2012, 11:34 PM

My first was a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, now have an AT Pro but will keep the Quick Silver.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Elite Member

I'm shocked at the poll results, as someone who has used the Ace 350; I thought it was very poor, for a beginner or not.

As someone who has been ripped off by certain brands/models, I feel a certain responsibility on my part to warn others, and I must warn people off the Ace series. It is a very poor detector.

I'm currently using my Tesoro Compadre and Tesoro Golden Micromax, both are very good detectors and I can vouch for them, whether you're a beginner or an absolute pro. The Ace series doesn't hold a candle to the Compadre. Actually, most detectors don't, including more expensive brands.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchild49 View Post
What Brittany-Guy said... I just want to add, if you want to cheat just use your pinpointer, you'll know how deep the target is then.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

it was the F2 or F22 for me