Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality metal detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

View Poll Results: What's a good detector for a beginner?
Tesoro Compadre 62 8.14%
Tesoro Silver uMax 39 5.12%
Fisher F2 165 21.65%
Garrett At Pro 72 9.45%
Garrett Ace 250, 350 204 26.77%
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV 53 6.96%
Xterra 305, 505 29 3.81%
Whites Coinmaster, Coinmaster Pro 61 8.01%
BH Discovery 1100, 2200, 3300 16 2.10%
Other 61 8.01%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 PM
mrdjfeltimo's Avatar
mrdjfeltimo mrdjfeltimo is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 1,203
Default

i started with a BH quick silver, it wasn't to quick on finding me silver but it worked, now im using the ACE250, much better, this gets my vote.
Dan

__________________
ACE 250,,8.5x11 DD coil, 2x PROPOINTERS,LESCHE,oldest=1786 New Jersey Copper, 2012 totals, silver coins=21, silver stuff=7, gold=1, clad=$4.10

Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Paul Dport Paul Dport is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 18
Cool First metal detector

Carol:
A better survey would be ~~
not as much the brand/make of detector. The funds available ~~what is affordable ~~ the cost of the machine . Nice to have a birthday, fathers day or any gift day due. Another grass mowing job maybe.
A lot depends on what type hunting to be done too.
There are some lucky enough to find a good used unit, then hi-grade later. An estate seller said they almost always went first.

My advice is buy the best You can afford. I have always used White's, but who is to say/know the best?
What is the best car or camera?
If a body don't think His/hers is the best~~might be ready for a change. It helps to have faith in what You have.

The beginner with lots of money often times ends up with a machine that has lots of features, knobs and adjustments ~~that is very hard to learn. Then lose interest because of finding too much (mostly junk).
I have an extra detector that when I ask permission to search ~~I offer them to use it ~~(keeps them from My shoulder) ~~at times they want to use Mine cause stuff they are finding is junk". (uncirculated nails)
The turn on and go are good for starters.
The CD for the one being used seems to be helpful. Learn how to use the one You have. Good headphones a must.
Your own yard is good place to learn. Cut the hinge plug, lay dirt on a piece of plastic to place dirt back in the hole. Pin pointers good helpers.

I like long plastic sacks to keep My knees dry and clean.
(produce sacks from grocery or even bread sacks with the bottom cut)
I have had folks tell Me that there is, "no metal in my YARD". Seems to be metal everywhere I have ever been.

Also some will not work close to another esp of same brand.
I once was in a competion hunt and could hardly hunt when another White's user came close. I could hear them when coming within range (close).

"Praise " its time to get them batteries and the tough to get going.
Reply With Quote


  #23  
Old 03-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Arisaka's Avatar
Arisaka Arisaka is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Port Charlotte FL
Posts: 912
Default

I have a coinmaster but seems like the compadre would be a good beginner.

__________________
How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice, Hi I'm Nick.

Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Xaquin's Avatar
Xaquin Xaquin is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,432
Default

For under $100 it's impossible to beat the BH Tracker IV. It will find anything and if you learn the sounds you won't dig near as much trash as you'd think.

Under $200, I'd give the F2 a nod to beginners. Accurate with great target recovery and most importantly, very forgiving to a fast swing.

__________________
Oldest Coin: 1678 Scottish Charles II 2 Pence Oldest Relic: 1702-1714 Queen Anne Lead Cloth Seal

Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 PM
ATProGuy ATProGuy is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,163
Default

I love the Ace series. I have an Ace 150 and I find Otto be one of the easiest machines to use with loads of potential. Just look at some of my threads. I've used it for everything from dry sand at the beach to in my local freshwater lake and every patch of dirt in between. I have found everything from Morgan dollars to Barber halves and tons of relics in between. I think for a baginner it's a great detector.

However if you have more money to blow get the AT Pro!
Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
jimmy242's Avatar
jimmy242 jimmy242 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Campbellsville, Kentucky
Posts: 121
Default

I started out with a bounty hunter, loved it and started my climb up. Next i went to the F4 and now I'm up the the whites DFX. if i'd had started with the Whites DFX, i would not have got far, it's a learning curve.

if i was to recommend, i would have to say the F2 or the Ace 250, just flip a coin.

getting ready to order a Whites TDI. Once you start this it's a very vicious cycle...LOL
Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Loxlie's Avatar
Loxlie Loxlie is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 216
Default

I really like my Tracker IV. Simple to use and seems to be pretty good at discriminating.
Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Massiss's Avatar
Massiss Massiss is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aalesund, Norway
Posts: 185
Default

Going to start with an Fisher F4 myself, so I chose "other".

__________________
Youtube.com/fjordigger/ | Clad: 359NOK/~60.00 USD | Oldest coin found: 1 ěre 1933|
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" - Gandhi

Reply With Quote


  #29  
Old 03-28-2012, 05:45 PM
jimmy242's Avatar
jimmy242 jimmy242 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Campbellsville, Kentucky
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massiss View Post
Going to start with an Fisher F4 myself, so I chose "other".
You'll like the F4, it's basically just an F2 with the ability to ground balance. It's pretty simple to use and if you have any questions about it feel free to send me a PM.

Jimmy
Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
sonnydigs's Avatar
sonnydigs sonnydigs is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,938
Default

That's a plus for the AT Pro, if there is another detector causing interference you can switch your frequency..
Sonny


Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dport View Post
Carol:
A better survey would be ~~
not as much the brand/make of detector. The funds available ~~what is affordable ~~ the cost of the machine . Nice to have a birthday, fathers day or any gift day due. Another grass mowing job maybe.
A lot depends on what type hunting to be done too.
There are some lucky enough to find a good used unit, then hi-grade later. An estate seller said they almost always went first.

My advice is buy the best You can afford. I have always used White's, but who is to say/know the best?
What is the best car or camera?
If a body don't think His/hers is the best~~might be ready for a change. It helps to have faith in what You have.

The beginner with lots of money often times ends up with a machine that has lots of features, knobs and adjustments ~~that is very hard to learn. Then lose interest because of finding too much (mostly junk).
I have an extra detector that when I ask permission to search ~~I offer them to use it ~~(keeps them from My shoulder) ~~at times they want to use Mine cause stuff they are finding is junk". (uncirculated nails)
The turn on and go are good for starters.
The CD for the one being used seems to be helpful. Learn how to use the one You have. Good headphones a must.
Your own yard is good place to learn. Cut the hinge plug, lay dirt on a piece of plastic to place dirt back in the hole. Pin pointers good helpers.

I like long plastic sacks to keep My knees dry and clean.
(produce sacks from grocery or even bread sacks with the bottom cut)
I have had folks tell Me that there is, "no metal in my YARD". Seems to be metal everywhere I have ever been.

Also some will not work close to another esp of same brand.
I once was in a competion hunt and could hardly hunt when another White's user came close. I could hear them when coming within range (close).

"Praise " its time to get them batteries and the tough to get going.
Reply With Quote


  #31  
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Silver Strike's Avatar
Silver Strike Silver Strike is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: East Petersburg PA
Posts: 1,405
Default

When I was making the desicion on my first detector I read ALOT. I knew I wouldn't be happy with an entry level machine and just saved the extra and got the middle of the road, easy(!) to use Whites M6. Best desicion I ever made. It kept me happy right out of the box, found a ton with it and still use it today. HH

Jason

__________________
Today's the day. Whites M6
Oldest Find-1781 KG Hibernia

Reply With Quote


  #32  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:15 PM
1stofseven 1stofseven is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cape May Court House, NJ
Posts: 10
Default Beginning Detector

I started with the White's coin pro. Simple turn on and go, used it all last summer in South Jersey. Used it to find a '52 silver quarter and a 1910 silver dime in my back yard. My buddy used it when his detector went for repair and he recovered a small gold religous medal from the beach.
Reply With Quote


  #33  
Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM
JerseyMike's Avatar
JerseyMike JerseyMike is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Jersey Cape
Posts: 916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stofseven View Post
I started with the White's coin pro. Simple turn on and go, used it all last summer in South Jersey. Used it to find a '52 silver quarter and a 1910 silver dime in my back yard. My buddy used it when his detector went for repair and he recovered a small gold religous medal from the beach.
Yes I did! Good little detector.

__________________
Tesoro Tiger Shark ~~~ Sovereign GT

Reply With Quote


  #34  
Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM
richbat's Avatar
richbat richbat is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks County Pa.
Posts: 976
Default

Well i voted the Compadre.Reason, very simple turn on and go MD that will very easily find just about anything the higher priced units will including very small jewlery and coins,very user friendly,great for kids and adults wanting something that will perform well and not break the bank.Just an all around good detector in my opinion.
Reply With Quote


  #35  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:47 PM
msholden's Avatar
msholden msholden is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 56
Default

Add me to the e-trac list - though it really depends on the individual.

The first detector I seriously considered buying was the Bounty Hunter 505.

But I spent a few weeks researching pretty much every detector on the market, and watching videos of people using just about any detector that looked interesting to get a handle on the various features different detectors offered.

I don't set a budget until I have a handle on what I want, and I'm OK with the fact a higher budget may delay the purchase. On the other hand, I wanted to be sure if I didn't enjoy the hobby it wouldn't be because I bought the wrong equipment.

I also think a good pinpointer is pretty much a "MUST" for this hobby.
Reply With Quote


  #36  
Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
RyanChappell's Avatar
RyanChappell RyanChappell is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,257
Default

Why did so many people vote for the Ace 250? I guess I would choose that for whoever was trying to find silver at my sites!! LOL!

__________________
The truth is that we are all fools who pick up trash for an average of $1 an hour for a hobby, and love it!

Reply With Quote


  #37  
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Tkitt21 Tkitt21 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FS, Arkansas
Posts: 89
Default

Anyone use the ace 350?
Reply With Quote


  #38  
Old 04-04-2012, 04:47 PM
bobcartree's Avatar
bobcartree bobcartree is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: oregon
Posts: 833
Default

for me it was about money so i went with the ace 250 ,i could have got by with the 150

__________________
ace250 ,propinpointer garrett

Reply With Quote


  #39  
Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 PM
RyanChappell's Avatar
RyanChappell RyanChappell is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcartree View Post
for me it was about money so i went with the ace 250 ,i could have got by with the 150
The F2 is the same price. I found my 305 for $280 open box. Why would so many people recommend the 250 over the F2? It might be an inch or two deeper, but depth isn't as important as people think. I have found 25 silver coins at less than 3 inches deep with my e-trac.

__________________
The truth is that we are all fools who pick up trash for an average of $1 an hour for a hobby, and love it!

Reply With Quote


  #40  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Larry--NWI Detectors's Avatar
Larry--NWI Detectors Larry--NWI Detectors is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Valparaiso, Indiana
Posts: 202
Default Which one

I use the Garrett 250 and the Coinmaster pro for my rental detectors and have had the best luck with these two detectors. Customers have always been happy with either detector.

__________________
Larry of NWI Detectors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good beginner detector for use in the sand/wet sand of L.A. Beaches? jesse977 Advice on Detector Purchase 4 06-07-2012 10:33 PM
Good Beginner Detector? MattMoore2012 Advice on Detector Purchase 19 05-22-2012 05:20 AM
What's a good detector for a beginner? jessntony08 General Hobby Discussion 8 06-06-2011 12:04 AM
Whats a good beginner detector for coins? flurrrs Coinshooters and Relic Hunters 23 03-05-2010 02:06 PM
is there a good beginner detector for $100 or under? anna22 Advice on Detector Purchase 5 03-28-2009 05:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.