US Navy Ring...How Old and Is It Silver?

cambria09

Howdy All - We found this ring today engraved on the inside "ESPO STERLING". Found some ESPO stuff on the internet but nothing about this find.

It is also engraved "USN, Tradition, Valor, Victory" with a ship and anchor and its sides.

Any ideas on its age or what it is made of are appreciated. Thanks and HH.

C9

Attachments

• W 021712 USN Ring w ShtShl.jpg
    W 021712 USN Ring w ShtShl.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,764
  • W 021712 USN Ring USN Side on Side.jpg
    W 021712 USN Ring USN Side on Side.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,910
  • W 021712 USN Ring Ship Side.jpg
    W 021712 USN Ring Ship Side.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,796
  • W 021712 USN Ring Front1.jpg
    W 021712 USN Ring Front1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,651
Nice ring! Did you try and find when the company was started and if they are still making jewelry. That might help give you some kind of time frame.

Question how long resists a string under ground till disintegrates totally and there's answer how old is

Well, I know a Rope takes 10-14 months. A Fishing Net up to 6 years.

ESPO is the signature of the Esposito Jewelry Company. Signature was first used in the 1950's.

If a Sterling piece is plated, ESPO also means that it is electroplated.

Just thought you should know that this post made my day. When I was ten I found a US navy ring just like that lying on top of the sand at the beach just near water level. It was my first "find" and was what truly got me into metal detecting and treasure hunting. Since then I haven't been able to turn down any opportunity to treasure hunt. Wish I remembered where my ten year old self put the damn thing though. Damn cool find though!

Just thought you should know that this post made my day. When I was ten I found a US navy ring just like that lying on top of the sand at the beach just near water level. It was my first "find" and was what truly got me into metal detecting and treasure hunting. Since then I haven't been able to turn down any opportunity to treasure hunt. Wish I remembered where my ten year old self put the damn thing though. Damn cool find though!

Hello mysteriousness - Thanks for the reply. I share your pain I wish I knew what happened to the silver dollars my Gros-Mama gave me when I was 10.

Did the ring you found as 10-YR old have a stone in it? We could not find the stone for this one.

C9

That's a very nice navy ring . They made them out of several different types metals , if it doesn't have a mark in it then its probably only valuable to the owner who lost it . Its still a nice collectable ring . To us guys that spent a lot of time in the navy wearing them brings back a lot of memories . Heres pictures of mine purchased it back in 1964 ... That's a great ring find anyway Congrats...

Harold

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 2,798
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 2,668
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 2,895
Thanks for all the great responses, very glad to bring back good memories for you Navy guys. C9

Back
Top Bottom