Iowa Rules and Regulations [Metal Detecting]

badmojoman

I thought this might be of interest to those living in Iowa or planning to visit.

Metal Detectors

Metal detector use is prohibited in state parks and recreation areas except in the following areas:

1. Designated beach areas. From May 22 to September 7 inclusive each year, metal detectors may be used on designated beach areas from 4:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. each day. From September 8 to May 21 inclusive each year, metal detectors may be used on designated beach areas from 4:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. each day.

2. Drained lakes. When an artificial lake has been drained or the water level lowered for any reason, metal detector use may be allowed from 4:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. only after the lakebed has been thoroughly surveyed for archaeological resources and a survey report has been completed and approved by the State Historic Preservation Office. Please check with local park staff to ensure this has been done.

Tools used for digging are limited to the following:

1. Probes not over 12 inches long, one inch wide and one-quarter-inch thick.

2. A sand scoop or sieve not over 10 inches in diameter.

When digging is done to locate an item, the excavation shall be limited to three inches square when using probes and 10 inches in diameter when using sand scoops or sieves. The disturbed area is to be restored as nearly as possible to its original condition.

A litter apron or bag is to be worn or carried during metal detector use and litter dug up is to be disposed of in approved trash containers.

All items found are subject to the provisions of Iowa Code Chapter 644.

Owners of lost items may use a metal detector in areas where their use is normally prohibited only upon special arrangement with the park ranger or with the park manager in charge of the area. A written approval must be granted before metal detector use may begin.

http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Ajh_O3...yRentals/RulesRegulations/MetalDetectors.aspx

It doesn't say anything about CITY OR TOWN PARKS. You will have to look up the city code ordinances for your town or city.
I read my towns code and ordinances and it doesn't say anything about metal detecting.
Craig in Iowa

I read those rules too after getting my MD. It kind of stinks that you can't hunt the grass areas of state parks but there are plenty of beaches and other areas that are allowed. I also checked with my county and they said you can detect but can't dig in County parks. As far as town parks, I read the town ordinances before detecting. If it doesn't say "no metal detecting" then I figure I am good to go. Haven't had a problem yet but I have to admit that I haven't hit a lot of parks. I plan on detecting many new parks as soon as spring comes though.

so are guns/rifles allowed??? I'm pretty sure that they are? I would be a little more cautious with fire arms (IF "I" was a council person) than a MD'r!!! The laws these days are soooo bass ackwards:roll: I'm ALL for the right to have a firearm, but my point being is for those "people" that are a little... troublesome shall we say to have a fire arm. I don't know. I keep telling friends and family, "I give 25-50yrs for this country to go feet up..." Man I got lost in the first part of the rules as I got farther down the "law" on when and when NOT to detect:roll: I'm actually somewhat glad I live in Cali west coast as it is a "little" more relaxed, as far as I know, when it comes to MD'ing. HH \_

or NOT:lol:

-Randy

so are guns/rifles allowed??? I'm pretty sure that they are? I would be a little more cautious with fire arms (IF "I" was a council person) than a MD'r!!! The laws these days are soooo bass ackwards:roll: I'm ALL for the right to have a firearm, but my point being is for those "people" that are a little... troublesome shall we say to have a fire arm. I don't know. I keep telling friends and family, "I give 25-50yrs for this country to go feet up..." Man I got lost in the first part of the rules as I got farther down the "law" on when and when NOT to detect:roll: I'm actually somewhat glad I live in Cali west coast as it is a "little" more relaxed, as far as I know, when it comes to MD'ing. HH \_

or NOT:lol:

-Randy

:?::?:

Not sure how the right to bear arms plays into this. I mean, I get what you are saying about the hypocrisy of laws but I see no hypocrisy in this instance. I'm pretty sure the constitution does not say you have the right to bear a metal detector :laughing:

As far as I know, Iowa is a lot more relaxed with the rules for metal detecting state parks than a lot of other states. I was in Indiana last year and was amazed to see a big sign as I entered a state park that read "NO metal detecting allowed". Iowa has also become a state where it is easier to obtain a conceal license :grin: That suits me just fine because the bad guys already have their weapon concealed.

The way I see it, it doesn't say anything about county parks in reference to MD'ing so I would say good to go unless its posted on the DNR website somewhere or in the city/town code. Just be safe and check online. We know state parks are off limits except for beaches, but you could try asking the park ranger about other areas besides the beaches. You never know, he might say yes.
As far as firearms, I know there are places that you cant legally carry a firearm weather you have a concealed permit or not. I think state parks and city parks are on the list. Not sure about county parks. Iowa has some stupid laws, but we are trying to change that by introducing bills to protect your rights to carry in more places. I have a carry permit and I utilize it where ever I go.
Craig in Iowa

:?::?:

Not sure how the right to bear arms plays into this. I mean, I get what you are saying about the hypocrisy of laws but I see no hypocrisy in this instance. I'm pretty sure the constitution does not say you have the right to bear a metal detector :laughing:

As far as I know, Iowa is a lot more relaxed with the rules for metal detecting state parks than a lot of other states. I was in Indiana last year and was amazed to see a big sign as I entered a state park that read "NO metal detecting allowed". Iowa has also become a state where it is easier to obtain a conceal license :grin: That suits me just fine because the bad guys already have their weapon concealed.

Boomer, that is what I was getting at. It's getting to the point of NOT being able to do anything... if you can "read between the lines". Anyways, just making a point of how ridiculous and the "little" things that bother the council people that make up the laws or whoever makes the laws. Probably because they KNOW we are BETTER THAN THEM:roll: Bunch of "pillow biters":laughing: HH \_ people

Here in the northern il county where i live each state park has their own permit, the one state park permit i obtained was free and good for one year, and of course there are areas you can't dig in ,like the nature areas,but the city and county park districts charge $7 and $10 dollars for permits, also good for a year which i think is a good deal to not be hassled while i'm out enjoying my new found hobby.

Last edited:
I read those rules too after getting my MD. It kind of stinks that you can't hunt the grass areas of state parks but there are plenty of beaches and other areas that are allowed. I also checked with my county and they said you can detect but can't dig in County parks. As far as town parks, I read the town ordinances before detecting. If it doesn't say "no metal detecting" then I figure I am good to go. Haven't had a problem yet but I have to admit that I haven't hit a lot of parks. I plan on detecting many new parks as soon as spring comes though.

Remember, you're not digging. You're cutting a plug to retrieve a target and restoring the plug.

Here in the northern il county where i live each state park has their own permit, the one state park permit i obtained was free and good for one year, and of course there are areas you can't dig in ,like the nature areas,but the city and county park districts charge $7 and $10 dollars for permits, also good for a year which i think is a good deal to not be hassled while i'm out enjoying my new found hobby.

BMRockford, THIS is a PERFECT example of what I'm getting at... a permit to do something in a park that tax dollars should already be going towards. I don't know how else to put it??? So what is the difference between someone playing basketball and someone cutting plugs? The person playing basketball on the basketball court or someone playing tennis or whatever they're doing should pay fees as well... right? Same thing!!! They're utilizing the park. That is why I made the statement earlier, ONLY I was just trying to put a "different spin" on how to say it. Boomer caught on to the hypocrisy of it all. HH \_ people

my rant is over on this one... and I know, "what can you do about it?" :?::?::?::no:

BMRockford, THIS is a PERFECT example of what I'm getting at... a permit to do something in a park that tax dollars should already be going towards. I don't know how else to put it??? So what is the difference between someone playing basketball and someone cutting plugs? The person playing basketball on the basketball court or someone playing tennis or whatever they're doing should pay fees as well... right? Same thing!!! They're utilizing the park. That is why I made the statement earlier, ONLY I was just trying to put a "different spin" on how to say it. Boomer caught on to the hypocrisy of it all. HH \_ people

my rant is over on this one... and I know, "what can you do about it?" :?::?::?::no:

I totally agree with you. Since there is nothing in my towns code and regulations about MD'ing in parks, I'm going for it. I already went to one park for a short time(I was in a hurry). The parks in this town are very old. (late 1800's- early 1900's)
I would love to detect the college but they want $100.00 to detect there!:(

I guess my town changed the rules. You cant dig or remove anything from any park or property. You cant even dig a hole in your own yard to plant a tree or anything else without first consulting or contacting the city first.:mad:
Craig in Iowa

haha, you guys are too funny :)

badmojoman, there's no "rules that have changed" I'm betting. ALL parks (all public land, etc..) has rules that forbid "removing" etc... And as for rules forbidding "digging", well maybe they won't use that exact word, but will at least be something like "alter", or "deface" or "destroy", etc...

Notice that all such things predate metal detectors. So, of course, no one can help himself to the swing sets, take the park benches, etc... Or graffite the bathrooms (deface), and so forth. Were such clauses ever meant to apply to metal detectors, which hadn't been invented yet? No. Could they? Sure, just ask long enough and hard enough, and you'll always eventually find someone to tell you no.

Tom, Oh how refreshing it is and nice to read your style good to see your back on here for a rule reminder and update. Now with the nice weather back it's hard to find time to log

Back
Top Bottom