Ascertaing a fair Price for a Coin

Dick Stout

If anyone out there has a book on large cents please let me know. I have a 1796 Large Cent, VF8, S-104, that I am thinking of selling. The prices I see on the internet are all over the places. Want to be sure I get a fair price....

Thanks,
DS

There are 3 diffrent 1796 large cents each with a different back side the one with the 1794 reverse is worth $600 and the ones with the 1795 and 1797 reverse are worth $300.

To add if you have the liberty error coin it is worth $750

All prices came from the red book.

Update on different reverses
1794 has 14-16 leaves on the left and 16-18 on the right
1795 has 17-21 leaves on the left and 16-20 on the right
1797 has 16 leaves on the left and 19 leaves on the right

I know you have heard this a million times, but it hold's TRUE.

The value of a coin is what a person is willing to pay.

Price guides mean little, by the time they are printed the market has changed quite a bit and prices may be higher or even lower for a coin.

Now IDK what kind of variety it is. I have no idea what S-104 means. I think your talking about the LIHERTY one, right? That's a sheldon 103 variety.

I'm seeing them selling for around $750, and thats S-104.

It would be best to have this slabbed. NGC is prefered by many numismatists.

I would spend the $30 or so and have it slabbed, this might make the coin bring an extra $100 as it's a bit of security blanket to collectors.

I WOULD NOT sell it on eBay, way too many scammers. Consign it to heritage auction (www.ha.com). They have rather low fees and they take clear photographs for it.

I had it certified by ANACS, and it is slabbed. I understand the buy and demand thing (you have to have a buyer). I just do not want to offer it and accept something "far below" the "estimated" value. Thank you everyone for your help. If any of you have the Sheldon book on Large cents let me know.

DS
www.stoutstandards.com

Find someone who has a bluesheet to get an accurate dealer price 10% back should be about the lowest you can expect to get for the coin without the Sheldon attribution. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom