Dodge Brothers Auto Emblem and Whatzit

cambria09

Howdy All - Found this Dodge Brothers auto emblem yesterday at a site that probably goes back to late 1800's along with a knob of some kind.

I believe the emblem dates from as early as 1915 but I am not sure of its precise age or how it was used. I am thinking maybe a steering wheel hub logo or external makers mark somewhere on one of the Dodge Brothers autos or trucks. There is a very interesting history around the Dodge Brothers and their contribution to the auto industry, in fact some sources say there would have been no Henry Ford without these guys.

The knob was found nearby and maybe a part of the same vehicle as the emblem.

Comments on these items is appreciated. HH.

C9

Attachments

• S 012012 Dodge Bros Car Ornmnt1.jpg
    S 012012 Dodge Bros Car Ornmnt1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 4,951
  • S 012012 Dodge Bros Car Ornmnt Rev1.jpg
    S 012012 Dodge Bros Car Ornmnt Rev1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 3,700
  • S 012012 Whatzit Obv.jpg
    S 012012 Whatzit Obv.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 3,398
  • S 012012 Whatzit Sd.jpg
    S 012012 Whatzit Sd.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 3,424
I see Jewish star so maybe some religion sect

Hello Karel - Thanks for the reply. When we first dug this I thought the same thing.

The emblem reads "Dodge Brothers Detroit USA" and from internet search info on this it appears there was not a religious intent with their logo. The Dodge Brothers were not Jewish and I don't think the Star of David was widely recognized as a strictly Jewish symbol at the time they built autos and trucks.

Thanks again and HH. C9

The other item looks like the center of a vacuum diphragm. May have been some kind of vacuum operated actuator.

Bob

The star started to disappeared from their logos in the late 30's but was incorporated in all of them since the inception of their company.

No, they were not Jewish, and nobody really knows why this symbol was chosen.

Like the swastika, the symbol has many more meanings going back in history than most people know.

This piece was usually mounted on top of the radiator.

Some possible reasons for this early Doge symbol here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlt/415926412/

"The Dodge Brothers logo has been extensively discussed in the Dodge Brothers Club newsletter, which notes that in 1938, an export version with a single black triangle was used, and shortly afterwards, the Star-of-David logo disappeared completely. David Zimmerman wrote that he suspected that the Dodge Brothers may have believed that certain export markets would not buy a car with the link to the Jewish symbol.
The Dodge Brothers Club's FAQ states that the symbol was not chosen to anger Henry Ford, and goes on to say that "At the time the emblem was selected (most likely 1912-1914) it's likely that the Dodge brothers were unaware of its use in Judiasm. In fact, at this time, that symbol was not used universally in this context." It suggests these possibilities, among others:
1. These are two interlocking Greek letter "deltas" or "Ds" for the two Dodge brothers
2. A midieval symbol of mysticism and the joining of mind and body, also possibly the joining of two brothers, who were known to be personally very close, in this business venture.
3. An abstraction of the square and compass of the Freemasons.
4. Nothing more or less than a badge with six pointed star similar to those used for law-enforcement officer's badges, some outlined with triangles. Sheriff, Marshall, and police badges frequently were and are six pointed stars. The old-west Dodge City badge had six points. Horace Dodge was said to enjoy accompanying local law-enforcement officers on their runs.
The Dodge Brothers Club News editor wrote that "emblem is also a "Solomon’s Seal" sign of interconnected spirits, as the brothers were." The source for the FAQ information on this topic appears to be Dodge Bros, the men, the motorcars, the legacy, by Charles K. Hyde, Wayne State University Press, 2004."

Attachments

• dodgebrothers-768351.jpg
    dodgebrothers-768351.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 4,648
  • 3548293000_6a8513e2ca.jpg
    3548293000_6a8513e2ca.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 4,210
The other item looks like the center of a vacuum diphragm. May have been some kind of vacuum operated actuator.

Bob
I was thinking maybe the piston from an air pump, or a plunger from a greasegun (both missing the leather seal).

I found the same dodge brothers emblem in a field, all the enameling was gone from mine, so I shined it up to put in my display.

Attachments

• Dodge brothers emblem 1914-38.JPG
    Dodge brothers emblem 1914-38.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 7,060
The second one looks like an accelerator pump from a carburetor. It's the device that sends a squirt of gas down the throat of the carb.

I was thinking part of some sort of thermostat on the second one.. ..well, it's a part to something, that's certain.:dumb:

That's cool that there are others that found the same emblem, cool find! The second pic- could that be a barn door roller? (the roller that glides inside of a track to open a sliding barn door)

Second picture looks like my power steering cap that has a built in dipstick. Too dark to take a picture right now, but is about same size except mine is plastic. :D
Joe

I see Jewish star so maybe some religion sect

Not a Star of David...It is a Dodge Brothers Radiator plate. Dodge Bros had the two joining triangles to symbolize their partnership. They were very close. Here is the one I found.

Attachments

• Dodge Bros.jpg
    Dodge Bros.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 3,105
Back
Top Bottom