Everyone in Michigan

If anyone would want to meet up anywhere near Traverse City count me in. I wouldn't mind driving a little ways either. Been researching and plotting out quite a few places to hunt when the snow melts here in TC with some old plat maps and google earth.

I so badly want to hit up the 2 islands west of the Mackinac Bridge. Heck, might as well toss St. Helen's Island also. Read a bunch of history on those 2 islands awhile back (need to find those pages again) and they have some interesting history that would make for some great hunting. just a dream.

Hey fellow Michigan MDers!!! I am from SE Michigan(Metro Detroit area). I need some Mding buddies to go out in 2012.

Hey coinMD64,
I am looking for a hunting buddy, I'm in Taylor and I typically hunt in the morning on weekdays ( Third shifter ) and all day on the weekends. Where are you at?

Michael, I'd definitely be picking up a 5.3" coil for that M6, if you haven't already. Especially since you like hitting those parking lot strips in Greenville. I had one for my MXT and they are killers for high trash areas. You would be surprised to find what the 950 coil misses in those spots. :yes:

Hey up my fellow Michigan winter sufferers word is we're getting a good melt this week.
Pray for sunshine and mid 60's! .:laughing:

New to hobbie

Hello all just bought a new detector would love to meet , chat and hunt with some locals
I'm in Wayne mi
Look forward to hunting all mi has to offer
Thnxs

Bear

Snow is almost all of the way gone in a couple different spots here in Northern Michigan. The beaches are mostly dry and a couple of parks. I went out in the beginning of January before we got all of the snow and the ground wasn't frozen.

Hopefully I'll get my E-Trac next week and go out before it snows again.

Michael, I'd definitely be picking up a 5.3" coil for that M6, if you haven't already. Especially since you like hitting those parking lot strips in Greenville. I had one for my MXT and they are killers for high trash areas. You would be surprised to find what the 950 coil misses in those spots. :yes:

I might just do that if I have some good luck this spring and summer. I have the Eagle ll and it is working better, I am waiting until spring to take the rice filled sock out of the battery area and see if it is back to 100%. I am looking forward to setting it up and so some searching for just gold rings. If you know the Eagle ll it was a great detector that you can make a program by notching out VDI numbers and search .
M6 Mike
I passed up too many days this wiinter I could have gone out hunting, not wanting to buy new batteries for the M6 , thought they would end up just sitting the rest of the winter. I got a rebate from Menards on past purchases so I will use it to get new batteries for the M6 and hope the batteries for the Eagle ll are still good when I am ready. I am going to look into wireless headphones from Walmart . I read they might work on the M6 I tried to solder the circuit board for volumn control with bad luck. At least I got some practic ein soldering in. Tossed the board and soldered and wrapped the wires for the headphones.

Snow is almost all of the way gone in a couple different spots here in Northern Michigan. The beaches are mostly dry and a couple of parks. I went out in the beginning of January before we got all of the snow and the ground wasn't frozen.

Hopefully I'll get my E-Trac next week and go out before it snows again.

I would like to hear how you like the E trac. Everything I hear is how good they are. I would like to go detecting with someone with a E track to see how they preform.
M6 Mike

I would like to hear how you like the E trac. Everything I hear is how good they are. I would like to go detecting with someone with a E track to see how they preform.
M6 Mike

I went out yesterday for a few hours. So far I like it. will take some time to get use to it. the ground was pretty frozen so I had to go a couple beaches around here. all trash and a clad Canadian penny. looks like I'm waiting till spring :(

I live in Lowell which is about 20 minutes east of Grand Rapids. This summer I would love to go metal detecting with someone. I usualll stick to the tot lots and go to the lakeshore for some beach hunting. I don't know of many old places to hunt though.

Maybe we can organize a small group hunt in Portland this spring. They have a lot of park property there, and it isn't too far for several of us to go.

Sounds like fun. Set a date and a time and see who is interested. I just ordered my Fisher F4 and can't wait for this snow to finally go, LOL.

Maybe we can organize a small group hunt in Portland this spring. They have a lot of park property there, and it isn't too far for several of us to go.

I hunted my sisters small lot in portland and found an 1892 indian in about an hour hunt. that was the extent of my hunting there. would love to go again. not too far from where i live in Ionia. I also have a very detailed plat map of the area dating to 1875. it could be a potentially VERY helpful tool in finding the old places. got it this fall so i havent had much time to test it out.

I hunted my sisters small lot in portland and found an 1892 indian in about an hour hunt. that was the extent of my hunting there. would love to go again. not too far from where i live in Ionia. I also have a very detailed plat map of the area dating to 1875. it could be a potentially VERY helpful tool in finding the old places. got it this fall so i havent had much time to test it out.
If you (or anybody else) wants to nail down a private place to hunt in that area, rather than a park, that would be cool too. With the weather shaping up the way that it is, we might be able to get this put together in just a couple of weeks.

another option would be the Ionia fairgrounds. One of the oldest areas around and has been a fairground for over 100 years i believe. some buildings on the site go back to at least the 20's. very large area so it would be hard to believe it had all been hit before. Its also the former site of an indian trading village and the site of the first people to settle Ionia in 1833. probably alot of new stuff but I imagine some old as well. Went there this fall just for one hunt and pulled a few wheats. Not the mother load but a promising sign.

Ionia Fairgrounds Ionia Michigan

another option would be the Ionia fairgrounds. One of the oldest areas around and has been a fairground for over 100 years i believe. some buildings on the site go back to at least the 20's. very large area so it would be hard to believe it had all been hit before. Its also the former site of an indian trading village and the site of the first people to settle Ionia in 1833. probably alot of new stuff but I imagine some old as well. Went there this fall just for one hunt and pulled a few wheats. Not the mother load but a promising sign.

Growing up from the time I can remember we went every year to the Ionia Free Fair. There may be some coins there from a long time ago but you can bet when they did tear downs of the fair each year from the late 60s on bunches of people showed up to detect the grounds. Seems I remember them building up the one side where they parked under big trees back when. with water raising up from the river during flooding I think coins have sunk out of sight . Best bet would be up around where the rides are. My old friend Bob Johnson from Steelcase probably detected that fairground . Bob got lots of information on fairgrounds. He told me about where the fair grounds were in Lowell back in the 1800s but I am not sure where anymore. Great story about his kid dragging his detector and finding three old silver dollars.
M6 Mike

Back
Top Bottom