Street Tearout Reveals a Piece of Local History

Joec03

Headed out to a street tear out in the heart of the city today. Found a little piece of local history. I believe it's off a streetcar. The city stopped using streetcars around 1935. If anyone has a better idea of what it's purpose was, please let me know.

eHy250r.jpg
SqGobbE.jpg

Nice find! Great piece of local history and a great save. Seems every street or sidewalk tear out comes up with great stuff. Love the pic too. A traveling mailbox on the front of the street car, who'd a thought.

I have found something like that before and was told it is a luggage tag. Maybe that's what that one is also?

Whatever it is it's very cool, maybe a local historian can either guide you in the right direction or hook you up with someone who can.

Whatever it is it's very cool, maybe a local historian can either guide you in the right direction or hook you up with someone who can.

Hoping so. I contacted the Grand Rapids Library and the Museum, as well as a local professor who wrote a book on Grand Rapids streetcars. Just waiting to hear back from them.

the city of Macon, Ga used permits for horse and buggies, called Hack permits, and issued some for the first cars and taxies. they were brass or nickel type metal and were placed on the vehicle. a friend had one that said auto/passenger and a number and Macon 1912 on it. most early 1900,s , some up to the teens. they had a tax for dogs called a dog tax in dog tag form, pins for laundress, bootblack shoe shines, hotel baggage porter etc... these were NOT slave tags. but they all looked similar to what you have. a tag and tax for everything.. the goobermint gotta get their cut... we had some hack badges we found in the edge of an old bottle dump where a bunch of different permit badges were discarded. I would post a picture of mine but someone hooked mine from a friend , his too, who was going to sell them for us. his soon to be then ex-wife was vicious. :laughing::laughing:

I grew lived in Ada up until I was 14. That's a cool piece of history. I didn't even know they had street cars like that. I would really like to detect in some of the areas under the sidewalk next to the waters building. I used to do pest control and they have spots to get behind the walls under the sidewalks. It's really a blast back in time because the old storefronts are still intact under there! I just imagine what's in the ground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom