Losing hope on public areas, need to start looking into old homes

SA_Digger

So I'm beginning to lose hope on all public areas I've hunted. In my county, hunting public parks is prohibited, so they are out of the question. However, I have been hunting other public areas that date back to the early 1900's such as old docks, empty fields, old athletic areas, etc. I have been approached by VERY kind people at all locations! Out of the 4 areas I've hunted so far, these people have told me information which made me quickly pack up and move on. I was informed 2 of the locations received fill dirt a few years back due to heavy storms (hurricanes), and the guy said "I hope that thing can detect 2 feet down!". The other areas, nearby homeowners approached me and told me they were city dumps 20+ years back. :laughing:

So I am going to now switch my focus to gaining permission to hunt old homes in the area. Unfortunately, in my area, most homes only date to the 1920's, with some dating to the late 1880's. Still, plenty of silver potential I think.

Should I even bother with emails and phone calls? Or is in person approaches best? I would rather not bother people by knocking on doors, but I know that may be the best way.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

My guess would be in person when you can. If you came and asked me and I could see your face I would be much more likely to let you on my property than I would if you sent me an email. Now I would say if you actually knew the person or had some kind of previous contact with them a phone call or email would do. But if I just received a random email from a stranger that wanted to dig on my land the answer would be no.

I have made a few phone calls and have never got a yes from a phone call. Door knocking is by far the best in my opinion. I usually get a yes when I talk face to face. Good luck.

I would research those old areas that you have been hunting and try to verify that there actually was a dump there, ect. You may actually have people who want the place to detect for themselves and are making up stories to discourage you from going there. Not sure, but I certainly wouldn't take some random persons word for it.

Back
Top Bottom