Southern CA Waves stealing my targets!!

Brizors

I have got to say... Southern CA waves are relentless!!! If the waves reach is within where my target is in the wet, it's going to be a battle!

I was getting so pissed because I lose so many targets to the waves by either constantly filling in my hole as I dig in between waves and never being able to get down to it, or it washes it out and away.

It sucks because the angle that the sand comes in here in southern Ca is so steep that you cannot reach that first trench because even thought it's only a few feet in, it's already a few feet deep, and the waves, although they are small, they tumble HARD right on the trench and then rocket in fast, hard, and in extremely short intervals. They are like constant little angry devils, never letting you in because if you do even though the wave is just above your boot, the speed they come in at will ride all the way up your leg to your waist! No matter what time of day! It is impossible to detect in that!

Not only will the force of the wave move your detector, but moving it against the wave is not possible, the shaft will bend and break.

It makes me very angry because due to this wave behavior, I cannot detect in the water, that is completely out of the question unless I want a broken shaft, and it also limits how far I can go out in the wet because the waves are so fast moving if your target is too close, you won't be able to get your target.

How do you guys get around this???!! I primarily detect here at the beach, so I need to find a solution whether it is getting a different detector or whatnot. I still find gold rings every so often, but I feel I would find so much more if I could get out further, but I do not see any good solution, those waves really come in too hot to handle!

I got two methods to help when the surf in not cooperating.

1) head into the wet sand and stay out of the surf. Nothing deeper than knee deep.

2) If you want to hunt deeper water either snorkel or scuba. I've done this several times and just go with the motion of the ocean.

GL and HH

Very dangerus using a Sovereign in the water aroudn here, those fast moving waves splash up when they hit you.

I water hunt southern California, not easy, but it is doable.

I got two methods to help when the surf in not cooperating.

1) head into the wet sand and stay out of the surf. Nothing deeper than knee deep.

2) If you want to hunt deeper water either snorkel or scuba. I've done this several times and just go with the motion of the ocean.

GL and HH
Oh wow you are able to get into the water and hunt? My sovereign stem seems to be weak to be moving it in the water let alone the powerful back and forth of the waves. The waves are strong enough to need to stop swinging when the waves aren't still. The waves essentially aren't ever still, so I don't hunt in the water here. It's just too ridiculous.

Very dangerus using a Sovereign in the water aroudn here, those fast moving waves splash up when they hit you.

I water hunt southern California, not easy, but it is doable.
It is indeed very dangerous, but I don't go into the water. Also I only hunt at the beach and my sovereign is the only detector I have, so not much of a choice. :/ What should my next detector be knowing that?

Of course you are doing this at the lowest tide?

Yes, I primarily hunt at the lower, low tide, but I also hunt at every other time.

I know it's hard not to be able to get to those targets but have faith those targets will get pushed in far enough eventually for you to get to, the key is to not go crazy about it and endangering yourself so be careful.

One thing I've noticed is that there is a time period inbetween the usual huge wave crashes where a wave will come and shove material up the beach at high speed - followed by a lull in further waves. That's your sweet spot hunting time. I've experienced this twice now. Not experienced enough though to correlate this with tide or swell variables yet. I hunt the whole day and a low tide is often unrecognizeable vs any other time of day for me. Off hours hunting is what several guys do but I'm too lazy for it - it might be key. I hunt when I need an escape rather than when it technically is best.

Pick a different beach too. The beach I hit is just like you describe but close, beautiful, nice interesting people, and has a ring sitting there somewhere with a $1000 reward...

Yeah this can be a real pain :mad: I've lost many targets to the surf but its just part of the hunt , its a challenge for sure but there are things that can make it better . #1 go at the lowest tides of the month and 2 get some good chest high waders , i just go in board shorts and get wet the water is so warm it doest bother me, and 3 the ocean she will spit out sets of waves and then she will give a brake i grew up surfing so its just kinda natural to me but the last tip i can give you is never turn you back on her while digging ;):yes:

We started out using chest waders until my husband bent over and got a chest full of water. We switched to wetsuits real quick .at least they float you if you get knocked down by a wave.

some so cal beaches are easier to detect than others. Swell conditions, ocean energy, tide times, tide levels all play factor. Don't even consider getting into Carlsbad's currents. Those waves are seriously deceptive. Thats a double edged sword because I've been there during the day hunting as low as possible and I have seen dozens of people get BLASTED by waves, knocked to there face and basically pummeled. When that happens you know they lose stuff. Then again, get out there where they are/were with your 1500.00 machine, 300.00 scoop and you'll get smacked down just the same.....

Other beaches aren't so bad. Beaches that have less of a drop off are better to get into the water. This whole yr so far has been very busy with sting rays so be careful. I got hit bad and it's no joke.

Right now things are SO sanded in that it's pointless to get out in the water anyways. Your best off on the recent drop zones of the dry. At least for a few more months.

Same conditions on our south coast,,, I've begun watching the sandpipers feeding on the edge of the wavefront. They only go so far down the slope when the sets of waves at are their minimal , dig quick and get the hell out. Of course I can't stand the fact that there are always more/better targets lower down the slope than I know I should go and get whacked, but sometimes I get it right.
I search where the waves are momentarily receding and once I've found a target I make a stand and wait for the waves to subside to pinpoint. I then dig my long handled scoop into the sand on my left to steady myself, and try to hold the waterproof, rugged Excal over the target, waiting for the waves to subside again so I can grab a scoop and sweep check once before either hightailing it up the slope with the full scoop, or making a stand again and repeating as necessary. Be prepared to get wet, it's one of the reasons why I call water digging a sport rather than a hobby.

Back
Top Bottom