Penny the size of a dime!?

coin whisperer

Elite Member
Hey guys I got out to a older home site today and the only thing I found was some stinking lincolns, two wheaties and this 1970 something penny. The strange thing is that this penny is the exact same size as a dime! The rim of it is rounded I guess you would say kinda like the coin was struck so hard at the mint that the rim on the front and back is thicker than the actual face and rear of the coin.

It looks like the edge was hammered in preperation for making a coin ring. That's how you would start. Cool find. : )

That's a strange one indeed. My first thought would also be that it was a coin ring in the beginning stages but I don't know. I'm like you, if I was going to practice on a coin ring I would use a modern quarter like the one I found earlier this year. That's what makes this hobby so much fun... you never know what's going to come out of the ground.

that thing must have been in a dryer at least 100 times then because I've dried a lot of coins and they came out of the dryer just like they did before they went in

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

"Coins get stuck in the fins of commercial clothes dryers and are not removed for weeks or months until the machine is serviced. The continual tumbling against the steel drum beats the snot out of a coin and causes the rims to roll and fold inwards. Also, the heat of the dryer has nothing to do with the process."

Taken from http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=79493

oh yea I never thought about that! Ty for dropping some knowledge!

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

I dont know , the edge looks too uniform. Dont seem to have enough irregularities to be a be pounded into that shape.

Back
Top Bottom