Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-01-2018, 01:30 PM
DIGGER27's Avatar
DIGGER27 DIGGER27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Posts: 14,346
Default Nox 6" coil...the bomb!

I haven't been out for awhile because of the dry conditions but we got a little rain recently and yesterday I got my 6" Nox coil in the mail.
My back is wrenched and screwed up but I had to get out and try the thing for as long as I could last.

I am impressed.

In a small lawn I have been hitting over and over for over a year, where targets have become sparse and few and far between I came up with these coins.
This is a huge deal, they were all easy to find even though severely masked as are most targets around here.

I reset the Nox to factory specs out of my custom settings, Park 2, multi freak for awhile and it worked.
Eventually changed to 5 kHz and it worked.
Hunted in two tones for awhile and it worked well...the high tones stood out and the good ones really stood out from the false ones.
I dug mostly the more solid signals that didn't jump up and down a lot, I had several that were high numbers but dropped down to low a few times and these were iron, even in the lawns around here I have nails and bits and pieces of old iron pipes galore.
Eventually I switched to the horse shoe to check things and the false high tones switched over to just iron so I did that on most and quit digging iron.
The zincolns were pretty stable and ranged from the high teens to the low 20's, I dug a few 15's but they were old, smashed crown caps and I just avoided most of them after that.
The copper cents and the dime were a bit jumpy but if I moved the coil just right they stayed high in a pretty tight coin range and repeated from a 90 degree direction so they got dug.
Every coin was a surprise and a welcome sight when they popped up.
None were super deep but even shallow targets here can be masked completely so this coil is doing exactly what I hoped it would do, every site I go to can open up more because of this coil or has the possibility of doing that, anyway.

Coming from an F70, one of the most ergonomic detector on the planet, the rig with the big coil always felt a little out of balance to me, a little off and uncomfortable...I think shortening the rod a bit will help with that but I hadn't done that yet.
With this coil all became right with the world again, swinging was effortless, like there was no coil on the end of my rod at all.

This is the one for me, the right coil on the right tool that just might be the best so far for hunting in this strange place.
I don't know about depth yet but I assume it will get as deep as I need.
Because of the clay layer here not many targets hang out much further than 4-6" deep but there are a few areas with still mineralized but more of the better black dirt where I have found a few good targets past that up to the 7-8" level.
I have confidence I can probably hit that with this coil, maybe even deeper but time will tell.
I am much more concerned with unmasking abilities and that seems to be the big headline here, several times better than the standard coil, (it seems), but that is probably no surprise to fans of the snipers and I am the president of that club.

In a little bit I will attempt a short hunt again, this time in an area that I have been living at for the better part of 3 years.
The entrance to a park just up the road from my house...I walk through it every time I hunt this park, I have stayed there for hours trying to find more and it is my personal little laboratory, every new detector, coil or new setting gets a lot of time here and if something good ever turns up I learn and remember.
I have hit this site a million times and found a ton of great treasure but like that lawn nothing good has shown up for awhile.
I have been digging a lot of the trash signals there for a long time in an effort to clean up this place and unmask more but that is a never ending process.
Junk signals I dig have been pretty much junk so not many surprises there but I hope this new set up, and the right settings, might be able to squeeze out a few more good things without needing to dig tons of junk to unmask them.
We will see, but having just a small taste of what this combination is capable of doing fills me with hope and confidence.

I love it when a plan comes together.
Attached Images
 

__________________
"The road to success is always under construction."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 09-01-2018, 01:37 PM
bubbaron bubbaron is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lower Schuylkill Co. PA
Posts: 1,032
Smile

Great job. I knew you'd like that 6" coil. Get your back problem fixed and go get em.

__________________
Bubbaron NOX 800, NOX 600, AT PRO, AT CARROT PIN POINTER

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 09-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 3,100
Default

Nice! Can't wait to get mine! I just sent Gerry an email!

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | EQU|NOX800 | XP DĒUS | PRO-POINTER AT | PRO-FIND 35

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 09-01-2018, 03:34 PM
stingray's Avatar
stingray stingray is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bloomfield, IA
Posts: 519
Default Nox 6" coil...the bomb!

Digger27 - i think we are of the same batch that Minelab sent over the week. I had mine arrive the other day then tested the following day.

Super impressed with this coil its like swinging a Deus in relation to weight. Like you, i tested it to my hunted out site and this coil did not disappoint me.
Dug a nickel 6-7" deep (moist ground) which i think has a potential to detect even deeper than that.
When Calabash first reviewed it that it detected 9" coin i knew this coil will be a game-changer to iron infested sites.

You are always on point to your review, was wondering if you could bring this coil to that site (barn) where you pounded hard with the F2. Tell us what you think. HH


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

__________________
XP Deus 11" 9" hf coil, Xpointer , Sampson 18".
Oldest finds: LC: 1846, SLQ 1854, 1943 Half Dollar

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 09-01-2018, 06:42 PM
tbw tbw is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 150
Default

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
I haven't been out for awhile because of the dry conditions but we got a little rain recently and yesterday I got my 6" Nox coil in the mail.
My back is wrenched and screwed up but I had to get out and try the thing for as long as I could last.

I am impressed.

In a small lawn I have been hitting over and over for over a year, where targets have become sparse and few and far between I came up with these coins.
This is a huge deal, they were all easy to find even though severely masked as are most targets around here.

I reset the Nox to factory specs out of my custom settings, Park 2, multi freak for awhile and it worked.
Eventually changed to 5 kHz and it worked.
Hunted in two tones for awhile and it worked well...the high tones stood out and the good ones really stood out from the false ones.
I dug mostly the more solid signals that didn't jump up and down a lot, I had several that were high numbers but dropped down to low a few times and these were iron, even in the lawns around here I have nails and bits and pieces of old iron pipes galore.
Eventually I switched to the horse shoe to check things and the false high tones switched over to just iron so I did that on most and quit digging iron.
The zincolns were pretty stable and ranged from the high teens to the low 20's, I dug a few 15's but they were old, smashed crown caps and I just avoided most of them after that.
The copper cents and the dime were a bit jumpy but if I moved the coil just right they stayed high in a pretty tight coin range and repeated from a 90 degree direction so they got dug.
Every coin was a surprise and a welcome sight when they popped up.
None were super deep but even shallow targets here can be masked completely so this coil is doing exactly what I hoped it would do, every site I go to can open up more because of this coil or has the possibility of doing that, anyway.

Coming from an F70, one of the most ergonomic detector on the planet, the rig with the big coil always felt a little out of balance to me, a little off and uncomfortable...I think shortening the rod a bit will help with that but I hadn't done that yet.
With this coil all became right with the world again, swinging was effortless, like there was no coil on the end of my rod at all.

This is the one for me, the right coil on the right tool that just might be the best so far for hunting in this strange place.
I don't know about depth yet but I assume it will get as deep as I need.
Because of the clay layer here not many targets hang out much further than 4-6" deep but there are a few areas with still mineralized but more of the better black dirt where I have found a few good targets past that up to the 7-8" level.
I have confidence I can probably hit that with this coil, maybe even deeper but time will tell.
I am much more concerned with unmasking abilities and that seems to be the big headline here, several times better than the standard coil, (it seems), but that is probably no surprise to fans of the snipers and I am the president of that club.

In a little bit I will attempt a short hunt again, this time in an area that I have been living at for the better part of 3 years.
The entrance to a park just up the road from my house...I walk through it every time I hunt this park, I have stayed there for hours trying to find more and it is my personal little laboratory, every new detector, coil or new setting gets a lot of time here and if something good ever turns up I learn and remember.
I have hit this site a million times and found a ton of great treasure but like that lawn nothing good has shown up for awhile.
I have been digging a lot of the trash signals there for a long time in an effort to clean up this place and unmask more but that is a never ending process.
Junk signals I dig have been pretty much junk so not many surprises there but I hope this new set up, and the right settings, might be able to squeeze out a few more good things without needing to dig tons of junk to unmask them.
We will see, but having just a small taste of what this combination is capable of doing fills me with hope and confidence.

I love it when a plan comes together.
Great review. My 6incher is due to arrive on 9/4. Really looking forward to putting it to the test.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 09-01-2018, 10:00 PM
JAK's Avatar
JAK JAK is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 2,676
Default

Good report. And congrats on the new coil...it has not disappointed me either! For me it's been hard to take the coil off because of its performance.

__________________
Equinox 800 -- 15", 11" & 6" coils

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1796 Large Cent; Oldest US silver coin: 1861 Liberty Seat Dime; 2017 Y/E Clad: $616.38: 2018 Y/E: TBA

Coin record amounts found on one of various days: Quarters-113; Dimes-86; Nickels-53

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 09-02-2018, 10:01 AM
graybeard graybeard is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New London Ohio
Posts: 1,212
Smile

The 6" coil separates better than the 11" coil.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 09-05-2018, 10:43 AM
tbw tbw is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 150
Default

Woo Hoo, my 6incher arrived yesterday.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 09-05-2018, 11:42 AM
DIGGER27's Avatar
DIGGER27 DIGGER27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Posts: 14,346
Default

Originally Posted by tbw View post
Woo Hoo, my 6incher arrived yesterday.
Here in my mineralized,iron infested devil dirt it seems to be the perfect addition to the arsenal.
Masking is our greatest challenge here at pretty much every site in the city.
I hunted in much better dirt at a site in Kansas that was intensely infested with iron and where the F70 and sniper coil plus using my blast-through settings worked better than just well once I figured out a few things.
I am 800 miles from there now so I can't bring the Nox in to compare but I just know that that detector plus this small coil would have made everything so much easier and I assume even more productive.

I don't have tons of hours using the Nox at all but I have enough to know this coil is making a definite difference in how it can hit on targets.

Enjoy yours!

__________________
"The road to success is always under construction."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 09-05-2018, 01:25 PM
stingray's Avatar
stingray stingray is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bloomfield, IA
Posts: 519
Default

Just wanna share with you fellow Nox users that there is now an UPDATE at Minelab SIte.

Heard it on FB just now. So my as well share it with you here.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

__________________
XP Deus 11" 9" hf coil, Xpointer , Sampson 18".
Oldest finds: LC: 1846, SLQ 1854, 1943 Half Dollar

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 09-05-2018, 03:28 PM
DIGGER27's Avatar
DIGGER27 DIGGER27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Posts: 14,346
Default

Thanks!

__________________
"The road to success is always under construction."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 09-05-2018, 05:58 PM
tnsharpshooter's Avatar
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 8,125
Default

You nailed it the “BOMB”.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Etrac, Minelab XS Explorer, 2-Xp
Deus
, Nokta Impact,
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 09-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Rattlehead's Avatar
Rattlehead Rattlehead is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Spring, GA USA
Posts: 3,100
Default

I got lucky and scored one from a member here. USPS shows it scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
MINELAB CTX3030 | EQU|NOX800 | XP DĒUS | PRO-POINTER AT | PRO-FIND 35

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 09-14-2018, 02:39 AM
Seaking406 Seaking406 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 388
Default

Having enjoyed the 4" Sniper coil with my Garrett 250, I'm interested in this 6" for the Nox 600 but not finding it listed... Can you provide a link?

If it's anything like the Sniper, it should be quite awesome!

Thanks for the write up!

Cheers
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 09-14-2018, 08:34 AM
DIGGER27's Avatar
DIGGER27 DIGGER27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Posts: 14,346
Default

Originally Posted by Seaking406 View post
Having enjoyed the 4" Sniper coil with my Garrett 250, I'm interested in this 6" for the Nox 600 but not finding it listed... Can you provide a link?

If it's anything like the Sniper, it should be quite awesome!

Thanks for the write up!

Cheers
Just check with any dealer that sells the Equinox models.
Plans are for a larger than standard 15" coil and this 6" sniper but like the detectors Minelab is slow to release them...no big coil yet and the snipers are just showing up in dribbles and drabs to some dealers now.
You have to call around to Minelab dealers and get on a list or two and just wait until your name pops up for now, eventually there will be a lot more in the pipelines and dealers will be stocking them but at this point they are a rare item.
The standard coil is great and I don't think I would need or be interested in anything bigger but for my dirt and sites a sniper coil is a must have.
Definitely worth the wait no matter how long that wait is.

__________________
"The road to success is always under construction."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM
stingray's Avatar
stingray stingray is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bloomfield, IA
Posts: 519
Default

Originally Posted by Seaking406 View post
Having enjoyed the 4" Sniper coil with my Garrett 250, I'm interested in this 6" for the Nox 600 but not finding it listed... Can you provide a link?



If it's anything like the Sniper, it should be quite awesome!



Thanks for the write up!



Cheers


Like what DIGGER said there is a "wait list" a dealer have. I waited mine for 4 weeks right after i pre=paid it. But if you really need it ASAP, there are a few of them that pops out now and then for a hefty price tag. I see them sold around 300 to close to 500ish.

I'm a believer of this coil it really is worth the wait at least on my site as a curb strip hunter. Goodluck!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

__________________
XP Deus 11" 9" hf coil, Xpointer , Sampson 18".
Oldest finds: LC: 1846, SLQ 1854, 1943 Half Dollar

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 09-15-2018, 04:18 AM
Seaking406 Seaking406 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 388
Default

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
Just check with any dealer that sells the Equinox models.
Plans are for a larger than standard 15" coil and this 6" sniper but like the detectors Minelab is slow to release them...no big coil yet and the snipers are just showing up in dribbles and drabs to some dealers now.
You have to call around to Minelab dealers and get on a list or two and just wait until your name pops up for now, eventually there will be a lot more in the pipelines and dealers will be stocking them but at this point they are a rare item.
The standard coil is great and I don't think I would need or be interested in anything bigger but for my dirt and sites a sniper coil is a must have.
Definitely worth the wait no matter how long that wait is.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them.

Cheers
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 09-15-2018, 08:58 AM
DIGGER27's Avatar
DIGGER27 DIGGER27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Posts: 14,346
Default

Originally Posted by Seaking406 View post
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them.

Cheers
Just add your name to a list somewhere, don't see any need to spend more than retail price for this thing when the standard coil still works so well.

__________________
"The road to success is always under construction."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 09-18-2018, 10:18 AM
brncofan's Avatar
brncofan brncofan is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: southwest,CT
Posts: 2,060
Default

i have my 6inch coil for my 800 but have not tried it out yet

__________________
best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #20  
Old 10-14-2018, 05:25 AM
Beachhunter's Avatar
Beachhunter Beachhunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 433
Default

Originally Posted by brncofan View post
i have my 6inch coil for my 800 but have not tried it out yet
Same here.

__________________
Equinox 800, XP Deus, Stealth 720i

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.