Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 09-12-2018, 11:54 PM

Default Help!

I went detecting today up along the river and found this coin. When I got home I tried looking it up on the Internet but couldn't find one like it anywhere It is identical on both sides and has a smooth edge with no reeding or words. The only coin I can find like it is the reverse side of the Sacajawea Dollar, but this one is the same on both sides. Anyone ever saw one like this or know what it is? I see in 2002 the mint messed up & accidentally struck a couple thousand of these. The book says these were not for “general population”. Who knows, maybe this is one of them!
Attached Images

The Good Lord has led me to; one 1890-cc silver dollar, 1 Barber quarter, 1 mint Standing Liberty quarter, 9 silver washington quarters, 5 Standing Liberty half's, 3 Buffalo nickels, 2 Barber dimes, 68 Mercury dimes, 60 Roosevelt dimes, $615 clad, 6 gold rings, 5 silver rings.

Last edited by goldpaninut; 09-13-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:34 AM
Elite Member

Perhaps a magician's or huckster's coin. Where they make a double sided coin. I found a wheatie once, where each side was a "tails". And when looking at the seam, you could plainly see where some huckster had grinded/sanded off half a coin, and connected two "tails" to each other.

But in your case, there is seemingly no connection/seam. That could be attributed to modern day jewelry methods of leaving no trace of soldering/connections. There is modern day computerized metallurgy solder methods that are ssssoooo accurate, you can practically remove or add a mint mark, for example, that is undetected to the naked eye.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:44 AM
Elite Member

I agree with Tom, I think its a magicians coin. Cool find!

☆Shield-0~V's-1~Buff-1☆

Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 AM
Elite Member

so THAT's how they do it!!!

Old 09-13-2018, 09:06 AM
Elite Member

Is it just me, or does it look like the first coin has been double stamped?
Attached Images

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $1544.20AUD (552x$2, 291x$1, 90x50c, 229x20c, 290x10c, 392x5c, 280x2c, 420x1c) and 168 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"

Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Elite Member

here's a place that carries them:

magic

Old 09-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

Cool find.....

Old 09-13-2018, 11:47 AM

Cool find...

Old 09-13-2018, 03:16 PM

Machinist on air force base in my town make similar coins all the time for practice and goof off. they mill out the coin inside leaving a outside ring and one side. then they mill down another the right thickness and remove the outside and then press them together. the tolerances are very tight and you need a loop to see the seam on a good one. these guys are excellent machinists for airplane parts which have very close tolerances. they also have nice equipment.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Supporter

Cool find, be nice if it actually was a mint error!

Old 09-13-2018, 05:08 PM

Put it in a cup and shake it.... It may come apart. My 50 cent piece does, and has a different coin inside.
Cool find.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Supporter

Nice one for the trophy case...or to practice being a "huckster" with.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Perhaps a magician's or huckster's coin.
"Huckster" ? Where did you learn that word? Do you still get your pots patched and knives sharpened by a traveling Tinker? Do you enlist a Farrier to get your mules shod, Do you take your Birkenstocks to a Cobbler for a retread? I suspect you have a Cooper make you a wooden bucket? Does a Paper Boy deliver the daily at your house? Does your milk come in glass bottles on your porch? Are there Tramps hanging around in the alley? Do you have Witch Hazel based potions, unguents and ointments in your medicine cabinet? Is your nightsoil harvested by a guy with a wagon? Coal delivered?

Huckster! You gotta be 120yrs old!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Last edited by Mud-puppy; 09-14-2018 at 09:53 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
"Huckster" ? Where did you learn that word? Do you still get your pots patched and knives sharpened by a traveling Tinker? Do you enlist a Farrier to get your mules shod, Do you take your Birkenstocks to a Cobbler for a retread? I suspect you have a Cooper make you a wooden bucket? Does a Paper Boy deliver the daily at your house? Does your milk come in glass bottles on your porch? Are there Tramps hanging around in the alley? Do you have Witch Hazel based unguents and ointments in your medicine cabinet? Is your nightsoil harvested by a guy with a wagon? Coal delivered?

Mud-puppy strikes again !

Cool find goldpanin nut ! I found one of those in a quarter denomination many years back . If you looked real close though , you could see one side was from a 1970 quarter the other a 1979 .

Not saying California Tom is old but I have it on good authority that he was a Busboy at the last supper !

Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
"Huckster" ? Where did you learn that word? Do you still get your pots patched and knives sharpened by a traveling Tinker? Do you enlist a Farrier to get your mules shod, Do you take your Birkenstocks to a Cobbler for a retread? I suspect you have a Cooper make you a wooden bucket? Does a Paper Boy deliver the daily at your house? Does your milk come in glass bottles on your porch? Are there Tramps hanging around in the alley? Do you have Witch Hazel based unguents and ointments in your medicine cabinet? Is your nightsoil harvested by a guy with a wagon? Coal delivered?

I was wondering how old Tom was too.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Elite Member

My grandma used to say after my dad dropped her off..."Thanks for the buggy ride"

Old 09-14-2018, 09:56 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
My grandma used to say after my dad dropped her off..."Thanks for the buggy ride"
"If the milk clabbers by noon, the bugs will be biting soon"

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
I was wondering how old Tom was too.
Right? I bet he still gets his ice in big blocks with a saw out on a frozen lake...Bet he stores it all summer down in a hole filled with sawdust! Bet he wears underpants made out of Gingham!! Bet he puts Molasses on his sourdough pancakes! Bet he reads the Forum and the Sears catalog by a Kerosene lamp!

Old 09-14-2018, 10:01 AM

" A stitch in time saves nine " .

Old 09-14-2018, 10:07 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Soil Surgeon View post
" A stitch in time saves nine " .
Now thats an interesting and appropriate quote SS! We find thimbles!
Evidently, they were a commonly carried item back in the day..a person had to have a sewing kit to make in field garment repairs...A guy just couldnt run on down to Walmart for a new shirt..

I wonder how many people have a thimble or sewing kit carried daily?..Hell, you cant get on a plane with a knife or a pair of scissors or even a fingernail file anymore, so I suspect its 1 out of 100,000 who even knows what a thimble is... in America...