Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 08-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Supporter

Default Results/Pics Cleaning Toasted Coins and Buttons in a Proper Ultrasonic

Spending today going through toasted coins and buttons in a proper industrial ultrasonic cleaner. What do I mean by industrial? One that has stronger inducers, a frequency sweep function, and a good heater.

I have a $1,000 Crest Ultrasonic leftover from my now closed electronics repair business, but all of the following results are with a $99 budget unit I picked up on Ebay that checks all the boxes. Wanted to test one out before I recommended one to my brother for his finds. Will be posting these throughout the day as I clean them up. All were done with the following unit, I have nothing to do with the company and this is my first time using. Much smaller, so won't handle lots of gun parts which I also clean alot, but will do fine for MD'ing.: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUSONIK-St...sid=m570.l1313

So this first coin is a wheat that was toasted. First had at it with an Olive Oil soak and toothpick, and it was just too toasty. Off to the ultrasonic. Could have kept going and pulled all the toast out, but those remaining spots are on the deep side and burrow into the coin.

I'll also post some regular coin and button cleans later.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

Looks good. For those of us who are completely new the ultrasonic cleaners what are the boxes that someone should be checking if they were looking to buy one?

Old 08-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by BaldAssCat View post
Looks good. For those of us who are completely new the ultrasonic cleaners what are the boxes that someone should be checking if they were looking to buy one?
Here is a basic checklist of what I look for in an industrial/commercial cleaner:

1. Frequency. 45kHz works great, but if you ever plan on getting into some really find numismatic type cleaning possibly go with a 132 kHz. I've never used a 132, even doing micro-circuit cleaning of rusted out phones, 45 was fine, so this is just theory on my part.

2. Degas function. The Trusonik I linked to doesn't have this, and it is a con that it doesn't, but for less than a $100 I guess it did have to leave something out.

3. Sweep function. This is the most important of all. It sweeps the frequency in +/- 3kHz increments, gets rid of dead spots, and overall provides the magic that shakes off what you don't want on your parts.

4. Sonic Power - You want at least 100W, with at least a 100W heater.

5. Size - As big as the parts you think you'll clean. My main unit is a Crest Powersonic P1200H-45, which is a 2.5 gallon unit. It's pricy, but with the size I have a lot of leeway with big parts such as engine parts, bolt groups, etc.

Until a year ago, they didn't really have anything in the budget category, but now it seems like they are all over. The Trusonik I linked to above is the first budget I've tried that checks all the boxes. It also comes in a 2.5 gallon at a mind blowing $179. The true test will be how long it holds up, but I'll keep reporting back on the one I have. Here is a link to the 10L: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainle...sid=m570.l1313

I can say I'm already super impressed with the Trusonik. I ran a rusted over crescent wrench that I found magnet fishing and it popped out almost like new, so for less than a $100 bucks.

One brand in the budget category that checks all the boxes is the X-Tronic brand. Reviews seem good, with some people getting a lemon here and there. Ebay and Amazon carry them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Tronic-Pl...nic+sweep.TRS0

Search "ultrasonic sweep" on Ebay and it brings up quite a few. For a higher end unit like the Crest, Get Med Online is a good shop with outstanding customer service. https://www.getmedonline.com/ulcl.html#viewAll

Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for the information posted here. I've been interested on this subject, but wasn't sure where to start.

IH: 3, Buffalo/V/Shield: 10, Gold: 1

Old 08-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Thanks for the information posted here. I've been interested on this subject, but wasn't sure where to start.
Same here and looking forward to seeing some of the other objects cleaned.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:06 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Originally Posted by waltr View post
Same here and looking forward to seeing some of the other objects cleaned.
My pleasure. There is a ton of bad info put out on MDíing forums about ultrasonic cleaners and results you can achieve, so happy to correct the record.

I have a WW1 17th Artillery dollar disk and Great Seal button about to come out. Later Iíll add to this post talking about technique, as if youíre not careful the ultrasonic is so powerful you can wipe out items completely.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:55 PM

I, too, am going to watch this thread. If you would be so kind, include what you're using for cleaning agents in your evaluation(s).
I'll be using mine for vintage hot rod carbs too, as I improve my T-bucket.

Roger

Old 08-13-2018, 03:32 PM
Supporter

Very interesting! I could use one of these! I'm wondering what one of these would do for a load of clad; instead of tumbling.
Thanks for posting this. Look forward to more on this.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Here is a basic checklist of what I look for in an industrial/commercial cleaner:
Thanks! I had no clue about them but was interested for a while. I'll have to start shopping around to see what's in my budget.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Very interesting! I could use one of these! I'm wondering what one of these would do for a load of clad; instead of tumbling.
Thanks for posting this. Look forward to more on this.
I've never actually done a load of clad, but I will run one to see how they come out. Will post before and after pics.

Originally Posted by BaldAssCat View post
Thanks! I had no clue about them but was interested for a while. I'll have to start shopping around to see what's in my budget.
The one I linked for under $100 is definitely a good starting point. I just can't speak to it's longevity. I can for the Crest, I probably ran close to 500 circuit boards through it without skipping a beat.

Originally Posted by GTS225 View post
I, too, am going to watch this thread. If you would be so kind, include what you're using for cleaning agents in your evaluation(s).
I'll be using mine for vintage hot rod carbs too, as I improve my T-bucket.

Roger
So far, I'm kind of still exploring the cleaning agents with coins and relics. At a minimum I just use distilled water, or distilled water with some dish detergent...i've messed around a bit with vinegar and some salt. For gun parts, automotive or small engine parts, airbrushes, and similar stuff it's always something like citrus cleaner/degreaser or Simple Green diluted with distilled water.

I'm always open to trying anything, so if you ever want to see the results of something with a certain agent just let me know.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:22 AM
Supporter

Default Buttons

Here are two different types of results.

The US 17th Artillery collar disk was run for 5 minutes with distilled water. Normally I don't run relics long enough to take off the aging/pantina, but this is a collar disk I've dug more than one of, and I want to try re-gilt'ing it and seeing how close to original I can restore it for a showcase I'm making. This was run with distilled water, with a little white vinegar and a tablespoon of salt.

The eagle button was just run with distilled water and a little bit of dish soap for about a minute and a half. I wanted to just blast off all the dirt, toast, and grime, but left it in too long because I got a phone call and you can see some of the brass poking through.

I have some rusted knives I found magnet fishing that I'll be running through today or tomorrow, and will post before and after pics of those. Including other MD related clean ups, and I'll do a load of clad.
Attached Images

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Supporter

Wow, thanks for the results and more info. These are better results than I thought. Very useful tool!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Supporter

Wow, thanks for the results and more info. These are better results than I thought. Very useful tool!
Sure thing. I'll be posting more pics this weekend of other batches run through.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:09 PM

The US 17th Artillery collar disk was run for 5 minutes with distilled water. Normally I don't run relics long enough to take off the aging/pantina, but this is a collar disk I've dug more than one of, and I want to try re-gilt'ing it and seeing how close to original I can restore it for a showcase I'm making. This was run with distilled water, with a little white vinegar and a tablespoon of salt.

I have some rusted knives I found magnet fishing that I'll be running through today or tomorrow, and will post before and after pics of those. Including other MD related clean ups, and I'll do a load of clad.

DANG! That's some impressive results on that collar disc. A bit of metals polish and a toothbrush, and it ought to really make a comeback.
I wouldn't think an ultrasonic would have much, if any, results on rust, but I'll be sure to check back on this thread to see. (I've got a couple magnets, too. )

Roger

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:46 PM
Supporter

Chris, I'm now looking into getting an ultrasonic cleaner. Your advice is appreciated. Still waiting for your next results post.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:09 PM
Supporter

Chris, I'm now looking into getting an ultrasonic cleaner. Your advice is appreciated. Still waiting for your next results post.
I haven't forgotten about you, I should be getting some pics up this weekend.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Supporter

I haven't forgotten about you, I should be getting some pics up this weekend.
I bought a 3L Trusonik. Working great for some things, and not so great on others; like the thick green crust on wheat pennies. I have a jug of evaporust, and some rusty tools to try out next.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:13 PM
Supporter

I bought a 3L Trusonik. Working great for some things, and not so great on others; like the thick green crust on wheat pennies. I have a jug of evaporust, and some rusty tools to try out next.

What are you using for the pennies? Usually distilled water with some salt and white vinegar and itís gone quick for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Supporter

What are you using for the pennies? Usually distilled water with some salt and white vinegar and itís gone quick for me
So far, all I've tried is warm tap water with dawn dish soap. I put some wheat pennies in a strainer, and ran several cycles. Some stuff came off, but not as good as I hoped. Also, I put in a jar of soapy water & dirty pennies, and cycled them for 10 minutes 3 or 4 times. A lot of dirt came off. The water in the jar was dark and murky. I'm thinking that for cleaning small items in vinegar or other solutions, The jar or beaker method would use less amount of the vinegar or other solution. The tank would be filled with plain water, with only the jar containing the solution.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Supporter

So far, all I've tried is warm tap water with dawn dish soap. I put some wheat pennies in a strainer, and ran several cycles. Some stuff came off, but not as good as I hoped. Also, I put in a jar of soapy water & dirty pennies, and cycled them for 10 minutes 3 or 4 times. A lot of dirt came off. The water in the jar was dark and murky. I'm thinking that for cleaning small items in vinegar or other solutions, The jar or beaker method would use less amount of the vinegar or other solution. The tank would be filled with plain water, with only the jar containing the solution.
I guess I never talked about this. In my ultrasonic tank, I always use plain old water. I use zip lock bags to do the actual cleaning, with whatever cleaning solution and coins in the bag. Then I use clothespins to hook the ziplock bags to the side of the basket. Heat up as high as it can go. Vinegar and salt works great, but anything used in normal coin cleaning should work. Stuff like jewelry cleaner, simple green, orange cleaner, etc. There is commercially available clean coiner that I'm going to order and try with that. But plain old mortans table salt and vinegar is always a winner.