CZ-21 Help

rob.ream258

Elite Member
Anyone that swings a CZ-21 have this same issue?

I keep getting water into the battery compartment which causes the terminals corrode and break. I've replaced the battery clip once and I found it broke again this morning before the hunt. I'm going to replace the door and rubber gasket, but is there anything else I need to do? I've only had it the machine for a couple months and this is the second time it has broke.

I really really need your help since I'm at a loss on what else to do. The water was like glass today and I was stuck on the dry stuff digging pull tabs....

I'm assuming that this is not a new machine. If the seal is correct and there are no cracks inmthe battery door, ot shouldn't leak. A new seal and battery door might cure the problem cheaply.

You could give Fisher a call - talk to Daniel the tech.

If not a new machine I am guessing a crack in the battery door. Do you use silicone grease on the gasket? There are TWO ways the gasket can go on. Do you have the bead facing the right direction?

If not a new machine I am guessing a crack in the battery door. Do you use silicone grease on the gasket? There are TWO ways the gasket can go on. Do you have the bead facing the right direction?

At this point I'm not sure but I did notice the differences.

What type of grease should I use? Thick stuff similar to Vaseline or a standard stuff?

Next time out I'll have a new gasket and battery door but I want to do what ever it takes to keep the water out.

At this point I'm not sure but I did notice the differences.

What type of grease should I use? Thick stuff similar to Vaseline or a standard stuff?

Next time out I'll have a new gasket and battery door but I want to do what ever it takes to keep the water out.

I use a very thin coat of the thick stuff. You can get it in the plumbing section of any home improvement store cheaper than any scuba shop. At least half the cost. Put some on your thumb and index finger and coat both sides of the gasket. Use it sparingly.

thank you Scuba - will definitely use the grease...

Lytle..... yes both are on order at this moment..... but I wouldn't call it cheap since it cost me $75 clams and I still need the grease...

You didn't say if the machine was new or not, if it is new you should have a 2 year warranty. If you got a good price on a used one then I guess try the new battery door & gasket first.

Pretty sure my brother had a crack in the housing after airplane transport, had leaking issues with each hunt and ended up sending it back to Fisher for repair.

I noticed it can be difficult to get the battery door to lie flush - sometimes the thick rubber backing and the 9volt holder don't line up properly but since coming back from Fisher we've been leak free for years.

Oh, lastly, I think Vaseline is not recommended, nor any other petroleum product. I used silicone grease found at the dive store but only use the spray bottle version so its not really much goop at all on mine.

Oh, lastly, I think Vaseline is not recommended, nor any other petroleum product. I used silicone grease found at the dive store but only use the spray bottle version so its not really much goop at all on mine.

Definitely do NOT use vaseline on any kind of Orings or seals...it eats them up...I use a thick blue grease made for outboard motors just because I have a tube of it around here...I even coat the hole where the screw goes through...I'm surprised you are having this kind of trouble just wading...so you have a major leak there....either the cover or the main rubber seal...something aint right...you gotta go real gentle on those thumb screws with the CZ 20/21 batt door...

Something aint right...you gotta go real gentle on those thumb screws with the CZ 20/21 batt door...

Yep - quickly learning that!!!

I'm probably going to take the door off after each hunt till I know I got things right.

As for sending it in to Fisher - thinking about it but only when the water turns cold. Not giving up the machine during peak tourist season.... no way..... besides .... I'll never quench my "gold fever" in the dry sand that is pounded everyday by multiple people!!!!

I have had this issue constantly over the years. Make sure gasket is correctly placed like its been mentioned. The manual has a good diagram to show EXACTLY what to look for. They actually have to face in a certain direction. I use pool gasket silicone. I have always thought that to be its one design flaw. Good luck!

After you fix things up put the box in the bath tub or a pail of water to test for leaks. Better to find a leak in fresh water while you're home then salt water while out detecting.

Have you replaced the battery door on this unit in the past? Only asking because I remember reading somewhere that the doors are slightly different on the cz20 and cz21

Have you replaced the battery door on this unit in the past? Only asking because I remember reading somewhere that the doors are slightly different on the cz20 and cz21

nope - not yet but I'll look real close now that you mention it - might even take some measurements if I can find a good spot.

Anyone every try the "liquid" gasket stuff made for cars?

nope - not yet but I'll look real close now that you mention it - might even take some measurements if I can find a good spot.

Anyone every try the "liquid" gasket stuff made for cars?

NO. Don't even try. You want a good grease that will not hurt the rubber gasket and will not get hard and be able to clean off.

Less than 5.00 at Lowe's or Home Depot or Menard's.

Reinventing the wheel almost never works!

NO. Don't even try. You want a good grease that will not hurt the rubber gasket and will not get hard and be able to clean off.

Less than 5.00 at Lowe's or Home Depot or Menard's.

Reinventing the wheel almost never works!
definitely taking your advice....

even if it did work I'd still need to change the batteries and getting that rubber !!!! off the machine would be a total pain in buttt.... then back to square one but in worse shape....

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

After you fix things up put the box in the bath tub or a pail of water to test for leaks. Better to find a leak in fresh water while you're home then salt water while out detecting.

X2 :yes:

Update to my issues:

The new seal came in today and it fits allot tighter around the door - the old seal was definitely the cause of my headaches.

Not sure if I put it on wrong the first time and stretched it out - not sure.

THANK YOU ALL!!! I learned some valuable info !!!

Sounds good. Remember not too loose or too tight on the door screws. I do use a coin since I feel that has less leverage and prevents overtightening. Then do the bath/5 gal bucket test with fresh water like others recommended.

THANK YOU ALL!!! I learned some valuable info !!!

New seal - New door - lube on the seal = no water

Ran it 4 hours this morning - came home - pulled the door off and everything was dry!!! Got out the flashlight for a closer inspection and everything is good - cleaned the edges where the seal sits - re-lubed the seal and door - ready for next time!!!

Back
Top Bottom