DIY "Sampson" digger

oblivion321

A member (jwp1964) posted his digger in a thread here and it got my attention as a nice solid tool. I am a tool junkie, and also love to build and create. Disclaimer... I have yet to find anything with an MD and dig it out of the ground, but...Spring will come and I'm getting myself prepared to hunt and dig. So, I got my blanks sheared and hacked ( with my angle grinder) to a rough size from the pics and the info posted on the other thread. I'll clean them up and bend them at work tomorrow. Here's what I have so far...

Attachments

• 1small.jpg
    1small.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 2,602
  • 2small.jpg
    2small.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,612
Got it bent today. I thought 30 degree angle down the middle was good. It doesn't look as sharp as the real one, but I'm happy so far. I love building things.I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• 4small.jpg
    4small.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,430
  • 3small.jpg
    3small.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,486
Looking good! Keep us posted please.

I will for sure. I only have a few minutes here and there on breaks at work to get to work on my projects. Is there a popular opinion on a "t" handle vs a ball handle? I would like some constructive criticism willingly given and accepted. I'm here to learn too.:grin:

Looking good so far! Handle type is a personal preference I think. I like the T handle.

Are you going to notch it on both edges?

Looking good so far! Handle type is a personal preference I think. I like the T handle.

Are you going to notch it on both edges?

I made 3 blades so I think I will make 1 a T handle, 1 a ball handle, and the other one short with a T handle. I was going to ask about popular opinion on the serrations. I might do the short with none and one and both on the others. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to bend the 3/4 round to mount to the blade.

Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to bend the 3/4 round to mount to the blade.

I checked my 33" Sampson T-handle, and the solid round stock that is welded directly to the blade is only 5/8" OD. Yours should be plenty stout with 3/4". Also, the main stem is 1" OD and the T-handle is 1.25" OD, just in case you were guessing. :yes:

I checked my 33" Sampson T-handle, and the solid round stock that is welded directly to the blade is only 5/8" OD. Yours should be plenty stout with 3/4". Also, the main stem is 1" OD and the T-handle is 1.25" OD, just in case you were guessing. :yes:

Thank you. That is good to know. 5/8 I can bend in the brake. 3/4 I have to torch and muscle. Might just use the 3/4 anyway. I just hope this thing don't weigh a ton.:grin:

Thank you. That is good to know. 5/8 I can bend in the brake. 3/4 I have to torch and muscle. Might just use the 3/4 anyway. I just hope this thing don't weigh a ton.:grin:

Weight is a factor.....lighter the better.....as long as the strength is still there. Looks like you have things, well under control. :digginahole:

I got the goosenecks bent and welded in place. I think it will be easier to sharpen and serrate them before I attach the handles. Hopefully next week I can get the handles done and get them powder coated.

Attachments

• imageedit_3_3625090442.jpg
    imageedit_3_3625090442.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,135
  • imageedit_5_4334945432.jpg
    imageedit_5_4334945432.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,093
  • imageedit_6_7752857495.jpg
    imageedit_6_7752857495.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,158
Thank you. I love these kind of projects. Useful things that last. I'm thinking I'll have the whole thing powder coated a silver grey. What do you think? Or would black be better?

Make it your colors ! I think the factory models are some kind of grey (?). I sprayed mine "rain slicker" yellow, which makes it very easy to spot, late in the evening :yes: I wish I could have powder coated it, but not really available to me.

You are really doing some amazing work, and before you know it, you will have three great shovels. I admire your work!

Back
Top Bottom