DIV Anyone here heading down Fair Oaks in late Marcn

Schweddy

Elite Member
Hi all. Long time member here, & long time since my last post. My two old buddies Coin Rex, Slaw Wrangler and I finally bit the bullet and signed up for the DIV hunt this spring near Culpeper, Virginia. Heard lots of this and that over the years. But hell, life’s all about experiences and chance, yes? Anyone here have any advice? Going to be there? Anything? We’d love to meet up with fellow forum members if possible. If so, let’s make it a party! Talked to me.

Last edited:
Never been to DIV but have hunted Culpepper area several times on JGD hunts. Beautiful country, lots of history and the potential for finds of a lifetime in CW relics. If DIV is anything like JGD hunts, you will meet some great people who have lots of CW digging knowledge. The only downside is some of these places have been hit hard for years, and the ground can be very hot. I'd recommend a pulse detector if possible. If not, the wooded areas will be your best bet for a vlf machine. Dig everything -- an iron signal could possibly get you into a hut site or trash pit, and the finds that come out of them can be fantastic. Take your time, visit, learn, and don't leave an area if your finding relics. Yall will have a great time! Best of Luck!

Never been to DIV but have hunted Culpepper area several times on JGD hunts. Beautiful country, lots of history and the potential for finds of a lifetime in CW relics. If DIV is anything like JGD hunts, you will meet some great people who have lots of CW digging knowledge. The only downside is some of these places have been hit hard for years, and the ground can be very hot. I'd recommend a pulse detector if possible. If not, the wooded areas will be your best bet for a vlf machine. Dig everything -- an iron signal could possibly get you into a hut site or trash pit, and the finds that come out of them can be fantastic. Take your time, visit, learn, and don't leave an area if your finding relics. Yall will have a great time! Best of Luck!

Thank you very much!! Great to hear. Unfortunately my buds and I only have VLF and minelabs FBS machines. If you don’t mind, what machines have you used in that soil? Any advice for settings on VLF? I’ve heard that PI’s are choice but not much option with us.

Hi guys, I’m one of the guys going with Schweddy to the DIVdig and been AWOL from the forum for a while but also wanted to ask anyone who’s been to Culpeper before......if you had to use a VLF machine there, which one and why? Like Schweddy said we don’t have PI machines (assume we’re not going to buy or rent a PI machine either) I’ve heard minelab FBS machines not too good down there......machines that we have collectively are E-trac, XP Deus, AT pro, CTX 3030, Tesoro Vaquero, T2, and Nokta Forescore.....

Thank you very much!! Great to hear. Unfortunately my buds and I only have VLF and minelabs FBS machines. If you don’t mind, what machines have you used in that soil? Any advice for settings on VLF? I’ve heard that PI’s are choice but not much option with us.

Hi guys, I’m one of the guys going with Schweddy to the DIVdig and been AWOL from the forum for a while but also wanted to ask anyone who’s been to Culpeper before......if you had to use a VLF machine there, which one and why? Like Schweddy said we don’t have PI machines (assume we’re not going to buy or rent a PI machine either) I’ve heard minelab FBS machines not too good down there......machines that we have collectively are E-trac, XP Deus, AT pro, CTX 3030, Tesoro Vaquero, T2, and Nokta Forescore.....

I used an AT Pro and a T2 the first time I was there, and got really frustrated. Anything below 5" or so sounds like iron, and at the time I didn't know to dig those signals anyway, as it could be a good non ferrous target or, that digging iron in this type of site can be really good. I got a GPX after that, and have used it exclusively in Culpepper on later hunts. I would say maybe go with all metal settings, and dig everything. You might want to pm choppadude -- he has been to several JGD hunts in Culpepper, and done well with vlf machines. Not really sure which ones he used most, but I know he has Deus, AT Pro, and I think maybe a CTX too. My digging bud MoBob used a MXT and did good too. If you have a hard time in the pastures and crop fields, try to hunt any woods or tree lines, etc -- they haven't gotten as much fertilizer over the years, and that ground isn't as hot. Don't be discouraged on having vlf -- you will find relics with them. And the ground is not the same everywhere in Culpepper. There are areas that are not as hot as others. I think yall will enjoy it!

Thanks for the advice 61chip, we appreciate it. We’re definately gonna dig all signals in that situation......will have to try our machines and see which ones we have some luck with. We figured we may have to concentrate in woods... BTW, a few years ago u gave me some advice on putting Elmer’s glue on back of a shoulder breast plate I found to keep the lead from flaking......still looks good to this day and dried clear with no flaking....I thought it was a great tip thanks again.

I used my F19 with the 15" attack coil some around Culpepper last spring. I found stuff with it. Nothing was deep but I found relics. I liked it because I could hunt right next to guys using gpx's. Now I do have a GPX4500 & it gets used more now than ever. It doesn't play around. Good luck & hope you guys have a blast.

Back
Top Bottom