Pro Pointer Dying

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
The rubber gasket over the power button is disintegrating and trying to pull off. The button still works but I'm afraid it's time to get a new one. I'll have to find my old harbor freight one somewhere in a drawer hopefully.

Haven't been out much so haven't really needed one. I will save up for one next spring when I get my tax relief money from the state. And I'm hoping to get the 5 x 8 coil for my AT Pro. The stock coil is just too heavy! Aggravates my back (sciatic).

Pennyfinder

Last edited:
Just email Garrett. I had the same thing happen to mine and they sent me like 2 or 3 of them for nothing, had them in under a week no questions asked.

Just email Garrett. I had the same thing happen to mine and they sent me like 2 or 3 of them for nothing, had them in under a week no questions asked.

Yes, Garrett is great for times like these. You've got nothing to lose and I'd personally not go to a Harbor Freight without trying Garrett first.

Thanks!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I e-mailed Garrett about the pro-pointer so we will wait and see!

As for the 5 x 8 coil -- DirtyRob sent me a message -- he has a used one that's not being used! Hooray! So I'll be out digging soon!

Talked To Garrett

They are sending me a couple of gaskets for the pro pointer and I also talked to them about the washers that go on the post that connects the coil to the shaft. They're sending me another set! :woohoo:

Gotta love that Garrett customer service! And DirtyRob is a great guy to help with the 5x8 coil, you will really enjoy swinging it.

Gotta love that Garrett customer service! And DirtyRob is a great guy to help with the 5x8 coil, you will really enjoy swinging it.

I CAN'T WAIT! :detector:

(I had a Pioneer 202 that I really loved but it quit working. Last time I tried it it would not do high tones only mid-tones and low tones. Don't know if it will even do that now. I'm not even sure where it is if I even still have it. Had a Pioneer 101 that I sold a LONG time ago. Loved it too.) Now my SECOND in command, as it were, is a Tesoro Compadre. It might get retired now that I will have a "smaller" coil on the AT Pro! :p

I CAN'T WAIT! :detector:

(I had a Pioneer 202 that I really loved but it quit working. Last time I tried it it would not do high tones only mid-tones and low tones. Don't know if it will even do that now. I'm not even sure where it is if I even still have it. Had a Pioneer 101 that I sold a LONG time ago. Loved it too.) Now my SECOND in command, as it were, is a Tesoro Compadre. It might get retired now that I will have a "smaller" coil on the AT Pro! :p

The 5×8 coil makes the Pro easy to swing, I leave it on 99% of the time. You'll love it!

Don't get me wrong. I love my little Tesoro Compadre. I'm sad about what I'm hearing. Tesoro has closed its doors. So much for the lifetime warranty! Guess my machine won't get used much to keep it working. No place to send it off now for repairs. So I will have to be especially careful with it. :(

Guess I Won't Be Getting The Part For My Pro Pointer. . .

Got an e-mail from Garrett (Hilda) who says I have to tell her the SERIAL NUMBER on it -- I ain't found one. All it has is a Patent Pending # and an ISO #!

She says it starts with 5. There's nothing on it!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, hmm. Someone else from Garrett sent me 2. Plus 2 sets of coil connectors plus washers!

Now how do I get the other gasket button off and hope one of the new ones fits? I'm scared to remove it and afraid the new ones might not fit (according to Hilda's e-mail). Right now it still works but if I remove the old one that is tearing I might not have a new one to fit.

Mine is on the cap.
Ser1.jpg

If mine EVER had it on the cap it is no longer there. There is a white sticker inside the battery compartment that has this on it: 49331351

This "Hilda" says the number should start with a 5 -- mine doesn't. Must be really old! :p

If mine EVER had it on the cap it is no longer there. There is a white sticker inside the battery compartment that has this on it: 49331351

This "Hilda" says the number should start with a 5 -- mine doesn't. Must be really old! :p

Yours might have had service from Garretts and they replaced the whole skin. Customers automatically think Garretts gave them a new pointer, but it was just the skin. Could be that you pointer had the original cap replaced. Did you buy a used one?

Yours might have had service from Garretts and they replaced the whole skin. Customers automatically think Garretts gave them a new pointer, but it was just the skin. Could be that you pointer had the original cap replaced. Did you buy a used one?

It was given to me. It's a used one.

If it were me, I'd figure I was in a position where I couldn't lose a lot by just yanking the old rubber and try the new one. Worst case, just use a wrap or two of electrical tape over the new rubber if it gets tricky. Ain't perfect if that is the final result but it beats automatically trashing this one, and buying a new pinpointer.

Having said that, I've never counted on just having one pin pointer once I got addicted, without a backup.

Have a question. "Hilda" (the Garrett person who has been e-mailing me) said I gave her the right serial number and said my pro pointer was manufactured in 2009 and would send me the right rubber "button" for the pro pointer. However she made the comment that my AT Pro was out of warranty (mentioned to her that I had one). How long is an AT Pro in warranty? I received mine on April 7, 2015. I am thinking she is assuming I've had my AT Pro as long as the manufacture date on the pro pointer (2009). No I didn't get that until after I got the pro pointer from DirtyRob I'm thinking. Can't remember. But I know my AT Pro is NOT as old as the pro pointer! Just wondering. Hope this post made sense -- due to the late hour I am up -- another sleepless night! :(

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd figure I was in a position where I couldn't lose a lot by just yanking the old rubber and try the new one. Worst case, just use a wrap or two of electrical tape over the new rubber if it gets tricky. Ain't perfect if that is the final result but it beats automatically trashing this one, and buying a new pinpointer.

Having said that, I've never counted on just having one pin pointer once I got addicted, without a backup.

I do have another pin pointer in a drawer somewhere -- an old harbor freight one. Useless in my opinion but I guess better than NONE!

5 x 8 Coil On Its Way

DirtyRob shipped it today. I'm tracking it -- should have it Wednesday sometime.

Back
Top Bottom