• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Is my unit defective? EDIT: Basics on Using an Ace 250?

Paper

Elite Member
Usually if I get some area of ground that beeps, the detector will cycle through random icons for a bit. The depths also change if I move the detector away and come back. Pinpointing doesn't really help... I've tried testing this function and marking with a stick, then digging around a bit and it won't pinpoint where I had marked earlier, and the signals would also change from the various icons. Are these "junk" signals that I should just be ignoring? They happened a lot in the hour or so I've used the detector... Also, on the pinpointing, it's the very base part of the shaft where it connects to the coil plate that marks the spot right? I'm digging on a gravel/rock driveway looking area as well as some woods. I scraped around on two of the signals and found a big iron nut and a piece of duct tape, both on the gravel underneath some leaves, the rest I gave up on. Sensitivity is on the factory setting. It also often chirps on something and then I can't get it to do it again when I got over it. Are these random beepings just something I have to get used to? I found two fairly toasted surface pennies on this gravel area earlier and was hoping that there would be at least a few other coins under the surface. Thoughts?

These are typically junk signals BUT the ace 250 has such an incredibly slow retune time that it really is terrible at seperating targets , especially with the stock 6x9 or larger coil. A lot of times this causes multiple targets in an area to really mess with the detector and you get a lot of target masking. The targets kind of bleed together and even if there is a good target in there somewhere the detector is kind of averaging all the target responses together and either calls it all one huge combined target or just cycles through multiple target ID's without landing on any one speciffically. I finally just got the sniper coil and i use that all the time now , especially if there is a lot of targets in the ground , the smaller size improves target seperation and the retune/recovery time , and believe it or not it dont lose all that much depth. When running into a situation like you describe there may be one or more good targets there but you need the edge the sniper coil gives you to be able to determine that. In most circumstances the ace 250 is a decent little detector and i enjoyed using mine , but that target seperation and slow retune time is ridiculous. Only way to combat that is to go small with the coil or get a double D for it.

If you are getting random chirping or falsing , turn down the sensitivity a notch or two , make sure the coil connectors are properly tightemed and secure , and that the coil is wrapped properly on the shaft. To and extent the ace 250 will always false now and then , but you can keep it to a minimum.

I have a 250 also, one thing I found with it is if the ground is wet it will cause it to bounce all over. The target of your pinpointing is the center of your coil not where the coil attaches to the shaft. Hope this helps you.

(1.Run the coil cable STRAIGHT up the shaft for the first 6" and tape there, then finish winding the cable from there on the shaft.
(2. When you turn on the detector, hold the power button down until it double beeps-it may need resetting.
(3. Make sure the cable connector is secure, and that the cable is not wound so tight it pulls on the connector when swept.
(4. Set the sensitivity at 4 bars-seems to work the best universally. (I run mine at 3 bars in parks)
(5. Some found they needed to check the battery springs-weren't seated on the batteries firm enough to keep them from shifting.
(6. Finally, if you have a coil cover, make sure some metallic object hasn't gotten between coil and cover.
(7. For pinpointing, lift the coil about 4-6" and pinpoint from that height and the target will be in the little arch in the center of the coil.:cool:

Thanks for all the tips! I'll try to get out and work on my pinpointing tomorrow with a lower sensitivity and a more straightened cable.

Hi, I'm just wondering if I'm just terrible at this or if trying to find a signal is really as hard as I'm experiencing. Today I went looking on my front lawn as I'm back home for spring break and I found a signal. It kept changing from pulltab all the way up to the 50 cent piece on the machine display, but I got it in the same place whenever I swung over and it would usually stay on a dime if I let it sit there for a bit so I tried to dig it up. The depth would keep changing from 2 - 8+ as well but seemed to mostly stay around the 4 - 6 marks. I tried using the pinpoint function and it would go full bars around multiple spots in the beeping area. At any rate I tried digging with a straight up shovel and it was a hole about 6 inches in diameter four or so inches deep. The detector beeped when I put it on the clump and also when I put it in the hole. I tried pinpointing on the clump but it was hopeless... I would have destroyed the roots of the grass if I kept trying to find whatever it was so I just stuffed it back and stomped it back in place as best I could. Earlier I found a shot gun shell. This was totally by accident... the area I was stabbing at was still beeping when I left it after I removed the shell. I'll be honest... I'm feeling more than a little frustrated about this. All I wanted to do was dig up some pennies and I'd be more than happy to get anything else.

I tested the machine by tossing a shinny zinc penny on my garage floor. Previously I had made sure nothing set the machine off so that I knew that the penny would be the only thing making a signal. When I did put the penny on the ground, I set the sensitivity to four as well as the factory reset value and got the same results. The signal would jump around from iron to pulltab to quarter but it USUALLY did say penny. Considering that this penny is literally less an inch away from the coil I didn't think this was all that impressive. Of note was that the depth was almost always at least 4 + and would seemingly go randomly past that even though the penny was at a depth of about 1 inch. When I used the pinpoint function it would go full bars if the penny was under any part of the inside circle of the coil... not just in one spot. How are you supposed to pinpoint anything when the circle is only half the size of what you originally found the target with? The pinpointing would also go near silent at times and still beep continuously if there was no metal if I held it. At one point the pinpoint function went full volume and stayed there... pressing the power button did nothing. I had to remove the batteries to turn it off. I took videos of my tests, they are very boring and full of annoying beeps but I can make a file hosting account somewhere and upload them if that would help. I just bought this thing new. Is it defective or is it really this hard to deal with?

Hi, I'm just wondering if I'm just terrible at this or if trying to find a signal is really as hard as I'm experiencing. Today I went looking on my front lawn as I'm back home for spring break and I found a signal. It kept changing from pulltab all the way up to the 50 cent piece on the machine display, but I got it in the same place whenever I swung over and it would usually stay on a dime if I let it sit there for a bit so I tried to dig it up. The depth would keep changing from 2 - 8+ as well but seemed to mostly stay around the 4 - 6 marks. I tried using the pinpoint function and it would go full bars around multiple spots in the beeping area. At any rate I tried digging with a straight up shovel and it was a hole about 6 inches in diameter four or so inches deep. The detector beeped when I put it on the clump and also when I put it in the hole. I tried pinpointing on the clump but it was hopeless... I would have destroyed the roots of the grass if I kept trying to find whatever it was so I just stuffed it back and stomped it back in place as best I could. Earlier I found a shot gun shell. This was totally by accident... the area I was stabbing at was still beeping when I left it after I removed the shell. I'll be honest... I'm feeling more than a little frustrated about this. All I wanted to do was dig up some pennies and I'd be more than happy to get anything else.

I tested the machine by tossing a shinny zinc penny on my garage floor. Previously I had made sure nothing set the machine off so that I knew that the penny would be the only thing making a signal. When I did put the penny on the ground, I set the sensitivity to four as well as the factory reset value and got the same results. The signal would jump around from iron to pulltab to quarter but it USUALLY did say penny. Considering that this penny is literally less an inch away from the coil I didn't think this was all that impressive. Of note was that the depth was almost always at least 4 + and would seemingly go randomly past that even though the penny was at a depth of about 1 inch. When I used the pinpoint function it would go full bars if the penny was under any part of the inside circle of the coil... not just in one spot. How are you supposed to pinpoint anything when the circle is only half the size of what you originally found the target with? The pinpointing would also go near silent at times and still beep continuously if there was no metal if I held it. At one point the pinpoint function went full volume and stayed there... pressing the power button did nothing. I had to remove the batteries to turn it off. I took videos of my tests, they are very boring and full of annoying beeps but I can make a file hosting account somewhere and upload them if that would help. I just bought this thing new. Is it defective or is it really this hard to deal with?

Its really difficult to say without seeing it happen first hand , but sounds like something is not right. I would call Garrett and speak to them , you may wind up sending it in for warranty repair. They are generally very curteous and helpful , and they will clear it up.

Your garage floor has rebar and concrete mesh in it. Test your unit where there is no metal other than what you are testing with.

Back up maybe, did you do any testing in your house first, was it erratic from moment one right out of the box ? It does "sound" as if you skipped this, and maybe looking at the video / book. Please don't bark just trying to help.

We need to establish a base line.

For at first I was thinking big irregular shaped iron will bounce all over, and hot rocks often beep once and maybe not again, and yes eventually if there are hot rocks in your area you will have to learn to deal with those.

Was also thinking possible bad coil / coil wire, loose coil connection. Does the detector make beeps if you tap on the coil, or wire (well above the ground) ?

I guess we all forgot that all MD's are susceptable to RF interference in one location or another, Does the detector beep randomly when held above the ground without moving it or tapping on the coil, or wire ?

But first a base line, with no other metal around and a penny on the ground you should get a very steady, consistant ID / depth readings.

So if not a bad coil or wire, not RF interference, and if it does beep correctly on a penny in "clear" ground. Then your problem is HOTROCKS (that only beep sometimes, and / or tend to move) or lots of targets (trashy) BIG iron (jumpy numbers)

Remember your not going to be a pro in 5 minutes, you need to dig a few targets.

I would not go with the cable straight up the shaft as has been suggested, wind it as stated in the manual, the cable needs enough slack to tip the coil in case you trip, what ever. The cable is relative stiff , wound correctly doesn not flop around, and is not the cause of your problems.

Here is a video of it in my garage. Point taken about the rebar but it wasn't beeping at all in that area before I put down the penny. I had to take a battery out because it was stuck beeping before then and none of the buttons worked. I think the main metal detecting function is for the most part fine besides the depth reading, but the pinpointing goes off if the penny is under any part of the inner circle.

http://vimeo.com/89822617

I'll try to get a video of it working outside tomorrow.

I watched the video, for one thing, like a lot of new people you are swinging the coil to slow.

Don't hold the pin point button all the time. In fact I never use it for pin pointing, just for getting a depth idea. I pin point by checking one direction, and throwing my elbow out and checking at 90 degrees, as I don't like the forward, and backwards method, as is less accurate. This short video may help a tiny bit, notice the quick short swings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlPr4LhTIb0

Sometimes when you get reactions like that, it indicates a very shallow target, and in this case you know it is, it helps to raise the coil up a bit.

The fact that your detector "got stuck beeping" might be a indicator that something is wrong, again assuming it wasn't near metal ?

Thank you for the response! Another thing I notice on pinpointing: Often times I will hit the button and it will make the beeping at an almost silent level, this noise stays as long as I have the button pressed and doesn't change volume if it is over metal or not.

Video of it being stuck: http://vimeo.com/89822615

I have a target in my front yard I want to dig up. I'll make a video of it and hopefully you could comment on my technique and where I should dig?

Thank you for the response! Another thing I notice on pinpointing: Often times I will hit the button and it will make the beeping at an almost silent level, this noise stays as long as I have the button pressed and doesn't change volume if it is over metal or not.

Video of it being stuck: http://vimeo.com/89822615

I have a target in my front yard I want to dig up. I'll make a video of it and hopefully you could comment on my technique and where I should dig?

I'll look for your video, again I'll suggest reading your manual, it will tell you to push pin point button away from the target and then move it towards the target. Again I don't use pin point button for pin pointing it's faster to forget about where the most amount of bars are.

Okay, here I am with a target that looks to be a quarter in my front yard. I know it's not the same as you detecting yourself, but could you tell me where I should dig based on where the beeps were coming from? It just seems like such a huge area of possible locations...

https://vimeo.com/89944932

That looks to be several targets. Id go more methodical rather then every which way. Find kne and stick with it. Pinpoint and dig that one. Then move on to the next. Being a yard there just maybe stuff all over. You will learn whats going on the more you dig. I was in the same boat and still kinda am but have learned alot of what its saying already.

Sent from a hidden menu within my AT Pro

Do you have power lines close by? If they are directly over head that could be a major issue. For instance, Even with a small 5x8 coil on my AT-Pro I can NOT use it at all in my moms back yard. Power lines go along back fence line and even with sensativity below 40% I still have to me over 50 yards away before the machine will shut the hell up. Even changing frequencies does not help. ATP Has very minor frequency changes you can try. I think there's 4 of them. If you could go up to the 350 you'd notice it's easier to use than the 250. The 250 is just too basic I think. Test it in your back yard or someplace out in the open with NO power lines within say 50 yards and place a quarter, dime , nickel and penny on the grass about 3 feet apart and see what they read, where they pinpoint on your coil and use the X method for pinpointing with the machine. Scan left to right and that will give you a line say north and south while your coil is sweeping east and west. Now, if you scan NORTH and south along that center line you will find where the strong signals meet. Eyeball it and dig around it to pop out a "plug" of dirt and grass about 4" across but only dig THREE sides and flip it over. Hope this helps.

I think that I'm just awful at this whole thing. I thought I would be able to get a better idea on location besides an area the size of the detector head but I haven't.

Thank you so much for all the replies and being patient with me! Here's what I dug up on my yard so far.
http://tinypic.com/r/fo3fd0/8
33kx4z7.jpg

The sprinkler head guard was from a different location than the video. I had dug a hole literally big enough to put the entire detector head in and it would beep but I couldn't find anything. I started widening it and found it sticking out of the side of the hole.

The nail and piece of copper were found in the video area. I had dug a hole and didn't find anything, so I dug one connecting it on the top and bottom. In the plug on the bottom I found the nail and on the top about three inches down I found the copper. The area still beeps like crazy even around the places I dug stuff out of so I guess I'll go back at it later today probably.

Are there any videos I can watch besides the Garret instructional ones on how to properly locate a target once it's found? There's no way I can be doing excavations like this at any public park...

Somewhat worried about killing the lawn as well but whatever. The video that someone posted here earlier showed a much easier dig than what I've been having to do to deal with my lawn... much harder dirt and there are lots of rocks and roots.

Back
Top Bottom