NOX beach settings

landuse

I am still pretty new to using the NOX at the beach, and thought I would get some advice from you guys.

If I want to use Beach one, do I just change to that mode, do a noise cancellation and then go...or do I need to do a ground balance too?

Should I hunt in All Metal?

Thanks in advance for the advice

im new to the Nox 600 and all i do go to beach 1 and noise cancel and start detecting. works good

Although I'm new to the Equinox I'm not new to the Minelab machines for beach detecting.

The link is from Wednesday's finds on the local beach with just noise cancel, and All Metal mode using the Equinox 600.

I have upgraded the software but being new to the machine I unable to say if its improved the performance of the machine or not.

I ignore all minus number and try and just dig around plus 6 or 7 and above. The numbers I like to see is up around the 20's but the platinum ring came in at 12. (Minelab Safari platinum came in at 14.)

....Doug.

Link:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=265437

That depends..... you arent trying to use beach 1 in the water? If so ... change to beach 2. I use AM ......but what i do is LOWER the fist bin (iron) to 3 all the other bins i use high volume. That gives me sort of a threshold and tells me what the machine is seeing. A lot of iron means targets have moved there. I DONT use a threshold..... no need its just noise in beach mode anyway. AM gives you a little clearer tone on most targets that may have a mix of iron. Also, it seems iron likes to false a bit in bin 2 if you disc out iron...... so this keeps more of the iron where it belongs.

Yes just go to the mode you want noise cancel and go. In most cases running default GB of 0 works best. You will hear a raise in mineral when close to hard pan or it will get quieter in fluffy non-mineralized sand. IF it gets to noisy for you then you can GB..... or reduce your sensitivity. The new update seems to have increased the sensitivity and reduced EMI and the chatter a bit.

From what I've read and seen, you would use Beach1 in dry sand and Beach2 in wet sand, and these seem to work great for me.. Tons of bottle caps and pull tabs and the occasional coins and 1 ring. I'm no expert and still figuring it out but these settings will find stuff in the sand.

I find that the beaches up here in this part of Nova Scotia are kept reasonably clean and people keep their jewelry at home when going to the beach... if nothing else, it's a nice walk on the beach swinging a lightweight stick back and forth ;)

i use beach 2 in wet iron bias 2, sens 18, also auto tracking makes it more stable when hunting near break water ,volume max (beach 1 for dry sand )

Doug, we hunt a little different. I like to see those 1 and 4 digits in the water.... ill dig the heck out of those. Best no. for me IN the water are 1 thru 16ish.

Just stick to the preset mode until you get comfortable enough. I found a silver chain on my first day with it and gold on my second and third day using stock settings. Beach 1 is for everything except in the water, however I have been able to use it with minimal falsing at 20 sensitivity. I updated the detector and used it in a spot with lots of black sand. I tried different sens settings and also beach two. The numbers would jump a lot but if you have used the detector for a while you can tell if there’s something good under the coil. The coins I was digging were deep and tarnished. I ran beach 1 sens 24 with no falsing. This was the first time I ran the sens that high, usually stick to 21 on the 800. I have been using this detector for 5 months now. Good luck out there and happy hunting.

Like everyone else, I'm still learning how to use the Equinox but here is where I am currently at:
I've had better results hunting in "all metal". I think that horseshoe icon means "good luck". :lol: Seriously though, it makes the tones much smoother and seems to increase depth a little. Beach 1 on the wet sand, beach 2 in the surf.
"O" iron bias was recommended to me by one of the local experts so that's where I have it. My ground balance is in continuous auto tracking mode.
When I get a signal I switch to discriminate to see how the sound compares to all metal. If the sound disappears and I'm seeing negative numbers everywhere I move on to the next target. If the sound still comes through and the numbers are above "1", I'm digging it.
Still not sure about the best way to hunt the black sand areas. Last couple of hunts the Nox ran pretty smoothly low on the slope but as I hunted higher on the slope where there was more black sand the detector got very chatty. Lowering the sensitivity seemed to help but it was more work to constantly adjust the sensitivity while working up and down the slope so a better approach might be to work back and forth parallel to the shore. More testing is needed on this! GL&HH!

Something is not right here..

Just came back from the beach this morning with the Nox 600 and updated firmware... I was in wet sand, Beach2 sens 20 (noise cancelled and ground balanced) and moving along slowly, enjoying the day when a young lass asked me how it works.. I wanted to demonstrate how it works by tossing a Canadian dime into the sand and wave the coil over it and... nothing..?! what? It wouldn't register against the coil.. A penny would.. but not the dime.. what the..?! The Makro pinpointer sees it ok, but not the Nox.. I tried in Park1 Park2 modes and nope.. but in Field 1 it will see it..

Maybe I have this all wrong but doesn't the different mode settings basically change what is notched out... that the one item will still read as the same number in all mode? The dime came in as 17 in Field 1 mode.. But why would it not pick up in other modes?

Bottle caps this thing can find... I wonder what else I might have been missing out there..

Am I understanding this all wrong?

Just came back from the beach this morning with the Nox 600 and updated firmware... I was in wet sand, Beach2 sens 20 (noise cancelled and ground balanced) and moving along slowly, enjoying the day when a young lass asked me how it works.. I wanted to demonstrate how it works by tossing a Canadian dime into the sand and wave the coil over it and... nothing..?! what? It wouldn't register against the coil.. A penny would.. but not the dime.. what the..?! The Makro pinpointer sees it ok, but not the Nox.. I tried in Park1 Park2 modes and nope.. but in Field 1 it will see it..

Maybe I have this all wrong but doesn't the different mode settings basically change what is notched out... that the one item will still read as the same number in all mode? The dime came in as 17 in Field 1 mode.. But why would it not pick up in other modes?

Bottle caps this thing can find... I wonder what else I might have been missing out there..

Am I understanding this all wrong?

All targets will not show up the same using all modes and settings.
I have seen targets change as I experiment and switch modes as I swung over them.
Look up the bottle cap trick for identifying that hated trash target easier by switching to the 10kHz frequency, for instance...changing just the modes is not the only thing that affects target behavior.

Go to 4:18 in this video...

Your coins are weird, a modern Canadian dime is the same as iron to most detectors.
The Nox leans and is weighted toward different combinations of conductive ranges depending on which mode you are in.
The rejection you have preset is different with each mode, the speed and iron bias will affect how the Nox reacts too as will conditions you come across hunting in wet sand or water.

The 17 you saw was the result of your settings in Field 1, could be normal and consistent for this mode or you could have just had higher falsing tones and numbers as iron often will do on many detectors, probably using Field 1 accentuated this falsing effect.
17 is not a normal number for a modern Canadian steel dime.
The other modes you tried correctly rejected this target as iron.

To answer your question yes, you are not understanding the Nox so great...yet, and you also need to brush up on the metal composition of different Canadian coins both old and new.
All will become clearer with some learning and new knowledge.

Last edited:
Doug, we hunt a little different. I like to see those 1 and 4 digits in the water.... ill dig the heck out of those. Best no. for me IN the water are 1 thru 16ish.

Not going into the water but staying on the wet/dry sand Dew the very low numbers is most likely to be tiny pieces of silver paper or aluminium.

Some of the beaches on the south coast are littered with tiny balls of aluminium.

To save unnecessary digging I try and just dig the higher numbers, but this is just a personal preference.

All targets will not show up the same using all modes and settings.
I have seen targets change as I experiment and switch modes as I swung over them.
Look up the bottle cap trick for identifying that hated trash target easier by switching to the 10kHz frequency, for instance...changing just the modes is not the only thing that affects target behavior.

Go to 4:18 in this video...

Your coins are weird, a modern Canadian dime is the same as iron to most detectors.
The Nox leans and is weighted toward different combinations of conductive ranges depending on which mode you are in.
The rejection you have preset is different with each mode, the speed and iron bias will affect how the Nox reacts too as will conditions you come across hunting in wet sand or water.

The 17 you saw was the result of your settings in Field 1, could be normal and consistent for this mode or you could have just had higher falsing tones and numbers as iron often will do on many detectors, probably using Field 1 accentuated this falsing effect.
17 is not a normal number for a modern Canadian steel dime.
The other modes you tried correctly rejected this target as iron.

To answer your question yes, you are not understanding the Nox so great...yet, and you also need to brush up on the metal composition of different Canadian coins both old and new.
All will become clearer with some learning and new knowledge.

Thanks for that, at least it confirms I'm not going crazy in the sun.. ;)

I actually watched the whole video and yeah, this is why I dig every target because pull tabs, bottle caps etc show up in the same range as canuck coins.. But it was good to see that the jumpy numbers are what I had been seeing.

Cheers

I forgot to add that I hunt in all metal all the time. I don’t ground balance or auto track since I’m running in multi. When I get a bottle cap signal I just turn 30 degrees from my original swing and if I get a negative I don’t dig it, it’s best to try digging a few to make sure though. HH

If you are in AM........ i see no need to switch to disc you are getting more information.

Back
Top Bottom