Red tide luck

beachrumbum

Got my first gold ring ever at the height of red tide this year!! Dead fish were on the beach, I was weeving in and out of them, found a nice spot with some erosion and slowed down with the Atpro. It was sqwawking and chirping and generally going haywire and thats when I heard it, the sweet tone of salvation although it didn't smell so sweet at the time.:lol: dug my scoop in and dumped the load on the beach. I gave it a swift kick with my shoe, anticipating the beautiful pulltab specimine when out rolls this beauty. 5g 10k no markings

Last edited:
Nice ring

Red tide now hitting st Pete beach , how you get past the smell and breathing problems ? I’m in manatee county we had all that now it’s pinellas county turn ?

:dingding: Congrats on being rewarded for a hunt in what I can only imagine are disgustingly smelly conditions!

Last edited:
Sweet ring! Congrats! Especially with the smell of rotting fish. I grew up fishing mudflats/grassflats so low tide is one thing, but decaying fish....

Oooof! You're brave. Great job!

I was in it locally here in Englewood. Its pretty green out here with RT holding out a little deeper now. But Siesta ..... man it was just plan nasty if you left the main beach area. I never noticed the RT symptoms like earlier in the summer, now its more the really bad dead fish order....... and dead fish. I was told and read in the paper St Pete area has put over 50 tons of fish in the land fill and that they were neting them off shore.

Congrats on the nice nugget ring.

Thanks Deb, 50 tons of fish?!:?: It is just awful seeing all of the wonderful sea life dead like that, other than that ring it has made finding anything terribly hard. Ot to mention how bad we are sabded in after that storm that came through.

congrats on the yellow- you should get bonus points for getting thru that minefield of dead fish and RT. I've been there when RT is around but never as bad as this recent episode. really sad about all the sea life being killed

Well done considering the stink if dead fish. Congrats on the gold...I wonder if that red tide has slowed down the competition out there.

I thought the same for a while, I was still hunting but it got too bad and had to switch to dry for a bit. As soon as some sand moves I'll be back in.

I hope this toxic waste problem is resolved soon. So sad that this is allowed to continue, it must be killing the toursim industry which supports so many working familys. I guess the rich industrial farms runs the state...or obviously pay the most.

Last edited:
I hope this toxic waste problem is resolved soon. So sad that this is allowed to continue, it must be killing the toursim industry which supports so many working familys. I guess the rich industrial farms runs the state...or obviously pay the most.

So true, this is the result of fertilizer run off. There should be checks in place to keep it from getting this bad. I was out there this morning and there is no change for the better.

Back
Top Bottom