• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Gold in the Hole!!!

SactownDigger

So I've been pretty much doing nothing but detecting for the last few months and haven't really had a chance to get on here to share my finds and see what awesome stuff everyone else has found. After browsing around last night and seeing all the cool stuff you've all found, I felt the urge to share some of my mind-blowing finds from the end of May - early June.

2 separate trips to my secret spot revealed an 1879 $2.5 Liberty Quarter Eagle, 1887-S $5 Liberty Half Eagle, and a retro-era (40s - 50s) 10k gold and diamond engagement/wedding set.

For the $2.5, It was my birthday (5/22), I got a jumpy signal 2-4" deep, a pull tab signal that jumped to a penny/dime. I called my dad over to check it with his detector and we decided to dig. Also, this is the first signal after we had a 30 min session of rain/taking refuge and considered just packing it in for the day, but we decided to continue. So I dug as my dad was was holding the pin pointer in case I couldn't find it right away.... and I couldn't. Pin pointer showed I was just behind it and that it was on the edge of where I was digging, and close. So I went about 2 inches past the edge (muddy from the rain) and scooped it into the hole, then I saw it (See picture - a little down and left from center)...the back of a gold coin!!!!! My eyes lit up and my whole body was in a state of euphoria, it was crazy! I hugged my dad and we both were speechless. Ever so gingerly, pulled out the coin and set it on a bucket we had nearby that had some water on it from the rain (see picture). It was in great shape too! Called everyone we new and sent pictures to all kinds of people. Such an awesome experience and to share it with my dad was just that much better. And about an inch away from the gold coin was a clad quarter, which I think is why the signal was jumpy to begin with.

So the gold and diamond ring was found about 30 minutes after that and roughly 10 feet from the gold coin. I was still in so much shock from the coin that I basically was like "Ok cool, a ring" and put it in my pouch. I didnt realize it was so nice till after it was all cleaned up. Weighs 4.3 grams and has roughly 1 Carat total weight. Amazing finds for just one day!

So, for the 1887-S $5 Half Eagle, I was back out with my dad in the same spot, however, this time it was his birthday (6/15). He was going to go sit down for a few minutes while I kept searching in the same area we found the first gold coin. On his way to sit down, he got a signal and he wanted me to come check it while he went a rested for a minute. I got a mid 60's target ID at 2-4" again, but didn't think anything of it, so I started digging. A big clump of dirt came out after 2-3 scoops and I could see the rim of it....another gold coin!!! My dad didn't even make it to the bench before he was rushing back over from me yelling at him. It was also in amazing condition (see picture), AU++ in my eyes. Picture was taken right after finding it... and again, the phone calls and picture texts began. Such a fantastic way to spend both of our birthdays and with sentimental finds that will never leave my possession.

Sorry for the novel, i just wanted to share the entire story with you all. Never in my life did I think I would find a gold coin, let alone 2!!!! This hobby can sure surprise you when you least expect it!

- GL and HH!!!!

Attachments

• 20160521_104432.jpg
    20160521_104432.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3,650
  • 20160521_104749.jpg
    20160521_104749.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 3,544
  • 20160521_104757.jpg
    20160521_104757.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 3,559
  • 20160522_143246.jpg
    20160522_143246.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 3,636
  • 20160615_122304.jpg
    20160615_122304.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 3,553
  • 20160615_162306.jpg
    20160615_162306.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 3,555
The first gold rush actually took place in N. Carolina. But seems it was overlooked by the massive amounts in California :yes: nice finds!

Thank you all for the congrats! It was quite an amazing birthday to say the least! We've been on the hunt for coin #3, but nothing yet. Just gotta keep swingin'!

-GL & HH!!!

WTG on the finds of a lifetime! As you found 2 of these in close proximity I think there may be a few more as well, could be from a cache that was scattered. Grid that place to death and dig all signals to unmask any hidden targets.

WTG on the finds of a lifetime! As you found 2 of these in close proximity I think there may be a few more as well, could be from a cache that was scattered. Grid that place to death and dig all signals to unmask any hidden targets.

Thanks! When we found the second coin, I went from discriminate under 40 to no discrimination at all and started over to re-canvas the whole area again for that exact reason. Hopefully where there is 2 coins, there will be 293756 left. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom