Gentle dirt memoval from Indian Head?

ne_seeker

Can anyone provide details of a gentle washing technique that will remove dirt (only) from an Indian Head?

I would like to clean up my latest find but like to leave coins in a somewhat "natural" state. I just don't want to scratch things up removing the dirt coating.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 1862-obv2.jpg
    1862-obv2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 578
  • 1862-rev.jpg
    1862-rev.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 590
1 full week in extra virign olive oil.....then gently brush with soft toothbrush and soap......

P.S. for the date, that coin is in very nice condition.

1 full week in extra virign olive oil.....then gently brush with soft toothbrush and soap......

P.S. for the date, that coin is in very nice condition.

add a little garlic, some basil and you have a fine pasta coating!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would simply go with a fine dry toothbrush. It's important to clean pennies when they are dry.

I have come to believe olive oil is acidic and over time will yuk it up.....my 2 cents.
True, olive oil has a very low acidic ph level....hence the washing gently with soapy water to remove any olive oil remnants...

"After" photos

Vasaline and dab it with a brush or soft rag.
I have come to believe olive oil is acidic and over time will yuk it up.....my 2 cents.

Jeff

My older coppers like it.

I decided to give this suggestion a try, the results are shown below. It was quick and did what I wanted to do, just remove some of the "gritty" dirt and make the coin details more visible.

Thanks to Jeff and all who offered suggestions.

Attachments

• 1862ih-obv.jpg
    1862ih-obv.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 546
  • 1862IH-rev.jpg
    1862IH-rev.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 539
Rob,
Unless you spend a couple $100 bucks they just don't do the job.

I think it came out nice! I picked up the petroleum jelly trick from an old buck that has a coin shop in town. He gets looks at my goodys once in a while.
He still counts my 1806 Quarter as #1

I don't use anything else now.

Oh, so vaseline has more than 1 use, good to know [ps I am not sure what that means, please don't ask]

How do you get the vaseline off after cleaning?

On the Indian Head, I used a very small amount of Vasaline and dabbed it very gently to remove the dirt. I wanted to be sure remaining dirt didn't cause scratches.

gentle dirt removal

Your penny cleaned up well. Hard to believe it is the same coin. Was it found in dirt, or in a fresh water/salt water area?

Back
Top Bottom