South Carolina Laws? Sorry but I'm in a rush!!

mlitty

Forum Supporter
Sorry to ask without doing my research first, but I'm in a rush. I've found myself in Columbia South Carolina for a day and a half. I'm a few blocks from Findlay Park, which describes itself as,
One of the best known parks in the state, Finlay has hosted just about everything from festivals and political rallies to road races and Easter Sunrise services. It serves as the site for such events as Kids Day, The Summer Concert Series, plus many more activities. The park is named for Kirkman Finlay, Mayor of Columbia who had a vision to reenergize the area known as the Vista, between Main Street and the river. A statue of Finlay has been placed in the park, showing him sitting on a bench.

I'm not sure if I'll get any time to go, with the kids and all, but I'm going to try.

Does anyone know or know where I can find the relevant laws/ordinances that would curtail my joy at Findlay Park in Columbia, South Carolina?

Thanks!

Good luck breaking the clad barrier.
(edited once I realized I just wasted a thread title that has never been used)!

Plastic galore!

I ended up roller blading with the kids at the park instead. It turns out that a lot of the park is "protected" or paved over. There is a wide open grass area that might be good.

There're are also two play ground areas. The newer one is half covered in foam rubber mats. There is a small area of wood chips that might be productive. But up the hill in the park is a much older play ground set, build into the hill. It's so old that some parts are falling down. This was a bit surprising considering the "like new" condition of the rest of the park. This hillside area was completely wood chips. I was itching to sweep the area, but the detector was in the car far accross the rather large park. It just wasn't practical to carry it while roller blading with the kids.

As I sat there watching the kids play, I was staring at this roller style slide that I knew must have bounced kids' pockets empty for decades. Without the detector, I plopped down and finger sifted for a few minutes while the kids climbed around. They also sifted for a while once they saw the colorfull buttons I was finding.

No detector, but here're my finds from the five minute finger sift.

picture.php

After I snapped the pic, the girls devided the buttons between them. The coins are going into my jug-o-change-for-a-new-detector fund.

No joy without permission.

Thanks a ton for the links. They were a great help and will be in the future.
Bummer about the restrictions . . .
While metal detecting may be allowed in certain areas at some parks, it is to be assumed that State Parks have an absolute prohibition against metal detecting. Any metal detecting should be guided by the respective park's mission and core resources, while giving consideration to this activity's potential impacts. All metal detecting activities on State Parks require prior approval of the Park Manager or the Park Manager's designee. In general, all metal detecting activities will be dictated by these general guidelines:

I had no idea that my own state, NC, was so restrictive!!:mad:
Metal detectors are not allowed in any park area except to locate lost personal property and visitors must be accompanied by a park employee while searching for such property. Sand beaches at ocean parks are exempt from this prohibition except during the months of June, July and August. Please contact the park office for more details.
:mad:

Back
Top Bottom