Interested after 30 years

starstorm151

Hello all,

I was reading a recent post where someone spoke of metal detecting with their Dad years ago. I enjoyed the same...about 30 years ago when I was in my early teens. Do you remember the Garret Groundhog and Deepseekers? We owned both of those...and I still have a pile of coins and jewelry that we found together. (Unfortunately my Dad is 87 and has Alzheimer's and he is unable to do anything now, but my remeniscences of our time together brought these good times back)

At the time we really got into the hobby deeply, and my main interests were coins. I enjoy the history of it. Of course along the way many other finds that simply make one wonder "how did that get here"? I remember finding one of those Little Orphan Annie decoder pins (like Ralphi in the Christmas Story movie waits for the mailman to deliver) Just talking with someone about these finds is a great joy.

Anyway, I thought I would post and say that I was amazed at the features and bells and whistles available today at what I would consider a relatively modest price. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised with the way computers have moderated.

And of course the question of the moment...if you had somewhere around a 1000.00 to spend and you wanted a great unit...and you like bells and whistles that really work...(I always like to fiddle with my stuff) what would you good folks recommend.

Haven't decided yet to do this, but the idea of getting back into this to some extent intrigues me. BTW, I live where sometimes I can visit the beach here in NC, but would most often do this near my home.

Thanks for reading for what I am sure is an oft repeated question.

Welcome SS151. 1K will buy a super detector. I'm sure Tony will be able to advise. Meanwhile, I would read the reviews of the upper class of detectors.
pop

I would recommend the Explorer II for about $ 1180. It is absolutely top of the line, lots of programability, works inland as well as outstanding at the beach.

Hi and welcome back. For under 1000.00 its hard to beat the Whites DFX. Bill is correct on the EXplorer II but at 1199.00 it is over your limit. Another good detector around this price is the Fisher Coinstrike. Although a bit less known it is still right up there in performance. Right now the DFX gets you in under 1000.00 and comes with 200.00 (your choice) of Whites accessories. If you need any more help or have any more questions about your purchase let me know.I'll be glad to lend a hand.
:yes:

Thanks for the replies. I will add that one of my interests is to revisit some of the places my father and I went years ago. These would be places that i am sure are probably trashier than then (and they were trashy then), and my goal would be to try and go deeper to pick up some old coins we missed. I just have this gut feeling there is a lot there still. Just from what I am reading it seems like it is jelling toward the DFX or the Exp II.....if I can swing the Exp II extra cash would it be the best for the stituation I describe? Thanks once again.

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby. I can't speak about the detectors of your budget, I haven't had one.... yet :grin:. But which ever you decide on best of luck.

Either the DFX or The Exp. II - you will not go wrong. I will pass to my collegues in my answer, as I own an Exp. II and don't want to appear biased. I have no hands on with the DFX.

starstorm151 welcome to the forum. As far as these two machines go, either one would be a sure winner for you. I have the DFX and love it. Unfortunately, I have never had the chance to operate the Explorer II, but from things I have read it is a very good machine. Good luck on your quest.

I thank everyone for their responses. I contacted Tony both online and by phone and ordered an Explorer II from him. I like the idea of leaning about the instrument and the search and am looking forward to receiving some much needed advice from everyone.

Tony sure is a nice guy. Sometimes you can speak to someone and know they are looking out for you and he is one of those people.

Again, any advice is appreciated...and I am looking forward to sharing some experiences.

Back
Top Bottom