A rare find with a horrifying history.

geoclean

I was going through my fathers items and found his first hand experience of going in on recon just days after the bomb was dropped. The map shows the layout of where he went and the warning pamphlet that was dropped to warn the people to get out before the bomb was dropped. I am not sure if any other pamphlet exist since he found it on the ground as they traveled the area.
I have several pics he had taken that I did not post that show train cars crushed like a tin cans and also shadows of people on a cement wall.
Although this stopped the war and save many many lives the effects were horrific and massive.
I am glad this rare look into a historic time in history was preserved with pics and daily notes of what he had experienced as he had seen it. Just one more collection to remind us of the cost of war and peace.

f9eed20e91a9fc5503719676d6510207.jpg
ccb1e2f6011d878bb5c1286def43996c.jpg
60fcc075e803c9fc6d479cea74e393c4.jpg

f78ea0624db02c11c09eb1f7f6fa8f01.jpg

c79f1ab29d90f29b88db2fec2326f300.jpg

Last edited:
WOW...Man...thats some find there! Handdrawn maps regarding a key event in Human History!??? Very well done and artistic like that!? Mitsubishi Docks and the Midget Sub Base! ...Thanks for the share...Thats something there alright..

Funny thing about maps and old guys...Even just going on a little trip nowadays, pulling up the Google Satellite or Mapquest, got the Garmin verbal directions and all that going on in every car...,

I draw a map on a 8x11 sheet of paper the night before I leave...And I still carry a compass....I dont know what it is...

Japan was the aggressor and attacked us at Pearl Harbor in a sneak attack and we were not at war with Japan. Japan provoked and instigated the war with the U.S. and Japan paid a very heavy price. Great first hand accounts you have there. My grandfather was a U.S. Marine in W.W. II and I also have first hand accounts verbally gifted to me from him. He was present at the Japanese surrender. So for me, Japan got what they got and we avenged the deaths of our service persons at Pearl Harbor and I have no sympathy for bombing Japan as they had none for us. That's my view on the subject. What you have is priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are ever in Hiroshima, a trip to the Peace Park and the museum located therein is worth your while.

One of the greatest rewards of being a veterans service officer is having the chance to sit with the vets who experienced things like this and other events most of us only see in the history books and documentaries. I've filled claims for a few atomic veterans over the years and their stories just amaze me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Very interesting! It is said that Japan had no other choice but to attack, as they were being clobbered via economic warfare.

Fascinating, thank you so much.

I have my FIL’s journal from Vietnam, some interesting stuff in there for sure.

.... It is said that Japan had no other choice but to attack, as they were being clobbered via economic warfare.

Then .... if you buy into this *justifiable* reason for their sneak attack on Pearl Harbor : Do you then feel that the atom bomb was .... thus .... unjustified cruelty on our part ? (just wondering)

Then .... if you buy into this *justifiable* reason for their sneak attack on Pearl Harbor : Do you then feel that the atom bomb was .... thus .... unjustified cruelty on our part ? (just wondering)
Not going to touch that. War is a bee - otch.

Very interesting! It is said that Japan had no other choice but to attack, as they were being clobbered via economic warfare.

The Japanese military had taken control of the civilian government and the militarists had adopted an aggressive policy of expansion seizing Manchuria in northern China in 1931.

FDR adopted economic policies to prevent further Japanese aggression in Southeast Asia introducing embargoes of steel, iron and oil against Japan and restricting the sale of war materials. In 1940 the US froze all Japanese assets and bank accounts in the US and Congress passed the Naval Expansion Act to triple the size of the US naval fleet by 1944. The US Pacific fleet was then moved in 1940 from California to Pearl Harbor as a further deterrent to Japanese aggression in the western Pacific. In August 1941 the US imposed an embargo on oil shipments to Japan. The Japanese responded by attacking the US naval fleet at Pearl Harbor.

So they did have a choice of other economic routes but the reason they had sanctions imposed against them was because they were invading other countries that we did business with.
Just because you don’t have it does not mean you can just take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Japan was the aggressor and attacked us at Pearl Harbor in a sneak attack and we were not at war with Japan. Japan provoked and instigated the war with the U.S. and Japan paid a very heavy price. Great first hand accounts you have there. My grandfather was a U.S. Marine in W.W. II and I also have first hand accounts verbally gifted to me from him. He was present at the Japanese surrender. So for me, Japan got what they got and we avenged the deaths of our service persons at Pearl Harbor and I have no sympathy for bombing Japan as they had none for us. That's my view on the subject. What you have is priceless.

I agree. Well said.

WOW...Man...thats some find there! Handdrawn maps regarding a key event in Human History!??? Very well done and artistic like that!? Mitsubishi Docks and the Midget Sub Base! ...Thanks for the share...Thats something there alright..

Funny thing about maps and old guys...Even just going on a little trip nowadays, pulling up the Google Satellite or Mapquest, got the Garmin verbal directions and all that going on in every car...,

I draw a map on a 8x11 sheet of paper the night before I leave...And I still carry a compass....I dont know what it is...

So sad that so many people have absolutely no idea how to use a map, with or without a compass. I carry a topo map and compass when I hunt, no matter how small or how well I think I know an area,

I was going through my fathers items and found his first hand experience of going in on recon just days after the bomb was dropped. The map shows the layout of where he went and the warning pamphlet that was dropped to warn the people to get out before the bomb was dropped. I am not sure if any other pamphlet exist since he found it on the ground as they traveled the area.
I have several pics he had taken that I did not post that show train cars crushed like a tin cans and also shadows of people on a cement wall.
Although this stopped the war and save many many lives the effects were horrific and massive.
I am glad this rare look into a historic time in history was preserved with pics and daily notes of what he had experienced as he had seen it. Just one more collection to remind us of the cost of war and peace.

f9eed20e91a9fc5503719676d6510207.jpg
ccb1e2f6011d878bb5c1286def43996c.jpg
60fcc075e803c9fc6d479cea74e393c4.jpg

f78ea0624db02c11c09eb1f7f6fa8f01.jpg

c79f1ab29d90f29b88db2fec2326f300.jpg

Nice pics!

The date on the photo album cover is 1946, I think. How long was he there?

Back
Top Bottom