• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Research Pays Off

pballwiz

Discovered an old drive-in theater close to down town Cleveland by looking at some old aerial maps.
It was built in 1950 and went out of business in the 70's.
Basically an open field right now.
Went there last night for about an hour. Started off finding a bunch of junk.
After about 30 minutes I had an "ah-hah" moment after I dug a wheat penny.
After that I found a "pistol-shot" medal. I have no idea how old it is.
Shortly after that I got a signal that was a solid 12-47 on the e-Trac at about 7 inches. Took me a second to realize that I had just dug a silver quarter because it was so dark with tarnish. I think this is the oldest GW quarter I have ever found.
Wrapped it up shortly after because daylight was fading.
I'll be back. I suspect there will be more to find.

Attachments

• 1935Quarter.jpg
    1935Quarter.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 629
  • PistolShotMeda.jpg
    PistolShotMeda.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 588
Nice silver. Congrats!

I've been looking at an old drive in myself but all the trash gave my the fear. You're a braver man than I.

Nice silver. Congrats!

I've been looking at an old drive in myself but all the trash gave my the fear. You're a braver man than I.

I think the area I had luck in was the former playground. Most drive-ins had them. Usually right by the projection screen. Snack bar would be another good area.
I started hunting it in the area where cars parked. Lots of trash there.

http://www.wwmcmillan.info/usmc_DistBadges.html

Marine Marksmanship Badge. Since the Quarter was 1935, I would guess the badge was of the same time frame.

Marines who competed prior to 1920 were allowed to count as one of three medals for Distinguished Marksman the Expert Team Rifleman, U.S. Navy award. In addition those who had been Team Captain, Coach or alternate of the highest team representing the Marine Corps in the National Trophy Rifle Team Match were given medal credit for each time they so acted. However, the basic provision of earning a Division Rifle Match medal still prevailed.

.... I've been looking at an old drive in myself but all the trash gave my the fear. You're a braver man than I.

But ........ that's what God invented discrimination for. Sure you'll kiss nickels and small/medium gold rings goodbye. But you'll get silver and larger gold rings.

If someone wants gold rings, then you're right: Why go to a spot filled with foil, tabs, etc.... ? (junky parks, drive-in theaters, etc...). Instead, they can just go to the swim beaches.

There are locations where "coin-hunting" is the order of the day. And ... gasp, sure, you'll miss a nickel.

Back
Top Bottom