excal battery connector polarity?

bootyhound

Is the battery plug on the excal polarity specific, in other words does it matter which prong goes into either port on the excal battery? I assume it is .. ive been tinkering inside and soldered a new coil onto the board,put every thing back together and it was then i noticed the threaded piece on the end cap snapped off under the strain relief arrrgghh! So in order to epoxy the threaded plastic piece back onto the endcap i had to disassemble the the battery plug but dont remember which wire went to which prong.... i figure ive got a 50 / 50 shot as there are only 2 wires, but if i gueess wrong what will happen? Will it simply not power up if wrong or will it fry the board... i recall a + and - wire inside so polarity must be important. ..thanks in advance. ...

CAUTION I'm under the impression if you connect it wrong you fry motherboard.

CAUTION I'm under the impression if you connect it wrong you fry motherboard.

Amen! Too That!!

I did it a few years ago while talking on the phone. It blew out a trace which I was able to fix but it could have been a lot worse..

Attachments

• 20171229_151352.jpg
    20171229_151352.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 79
Brown is + (Pos)

Blue is - (Neg)
thanks... i think i got it figured out in my head anyway.. i traced from inside the battery. .. the 9volt style battery clip i assume is just like a normal 9volt battery in that the smaller round piece is positive and hooks to the black wire inside of the battery pod which will continue on to the brown wire inside the control pod thus completing the positive side..... the negative side is the red wire inside of the battery pod which will continue onto the blue wire inside of the control pod...

Well, i traced and retraced the battery wires and put everything back together and wouldn't ya know it!!! I turn it on and NOTHING!! I do this like 5x....hmmm, so i break out the meter to do some troubleshooting.... i take endcaps off , leave excal turned off , hook up the battery, put + probe of meter on b+ terminal and - onto - terminal on motherboard and get a reading of -12.6 vdc.. when i swap the meter probes i get +12.6vdc... hmmm... so all i did was swapped the long and short screw on the battery plug which basically swapped the plug prongs as they were now flipped 180 degrees , reassembled, turned it on and by some miracle everything worked as it should... the re epoxying of the broken off battery strain relief on the endcap worked well too... so it only took me 3 days to do a coil swap ..lol... i dont know how much guys are paying people for excal repairs but from my experience it aint enough..lol.. now if only the ice would melt ... happy hunting...

Back
Top Bottom