Stock MXT 950 versus 1400 DD

seanboy

Have there been any real world tests, pitting one against the other? Or against various other coils? Im getting ready to purchase the MXT and was just curious about whether or not the coil upgrade is worth it.

And also, would it help in the mineralized wet sand here in california?

The 1400DD goes a couple of inches deeper than the stock coil and it is a great coild for the wide open spaces since you get all that extra coverage.

It is not a good coil to use in very trashy areas or where the terrain is uneven.

The one downside is ........ it is heavy! I wound up selling mine because of it and now
stick with the 6X9 DD as my "standard" coil.

PS: I never used the 1400 at the beach, but I would think the 6X9 would be better in the wet sand as it would see less mineralization.

Thats the info I was looking for, thanks again Rudy.

Also, does your 6x9 seem to detect a bit deeper than the stock coil?

seanboy said:
Thats the info I was looking for, thanks again Rudy.

Also, does your 6x9 seem to detect a bit deeper than the stock coil?

The simple answer is yes ...... and no. ;)

In highly mineralized ground, I can run the 6x9 at higher sensitivity than the 950 and get a little bit deeper, or about the same.

In low mineralization the 950 will go a bit deeper, though the cone of sensitivity is narrower, requiring more overlapped sweeps so as not to miss a deep target. The 6x9 has a more forgiving detection pattern requiring less overlap.

Back
Top Bottom