AT Gold detector and finding gold

milkman101

I have an AT Gold, I am absolutely the clad coin master. A title I would glady trade in for silver coin finder or gold relic discoverer.

Besides digging a ton of tabs and pull caps.....what is the best way to detect for gold items?

My detector signals gold just like a nickel...about in the 50-55 range.
this is also the range that bogus material lurks! I can go to discrim mode 2 (coin mode) and pluck coin after coin when the signals are right, but jewelry has eluded me..I have found 50 quarters, 40 dimes, 100 pennies but only 6 nickels...perhaps its time I start digging more nickel range items?

any advice?

Im in Seattle, WA.....I've searched old high schools, older city parks and state parks that allow MD.

Sometimes I think the newer notching and discriminating machines, with their greater accuracy are harming our recovery rate.

(manages to get her walker and cane up onto the soapbox with her)

When I was first detecting, we had notching, but it wasn't as accurate as today and we dug everything we could get our claws on. We found all the good stuff. You young whippersnappers disc out pulltabs, and miss the gold and jewels! WE used to have to detect with a tin can nailed to a stick with a bowling ball on the other end! And we were GLAD to git 'em! Times was tough! We used to have to detect uphill in the snow fer five miles. Both ways! We dug plugs with our fingernails! We et pulltabs fer breakfast! Throw some milk on 'em an' they aint half bad."

(Coughs, wheezes, falls off soapbox and shakes a bony fist at the young'uns)

"And git offa my lawn! It's already been searched! Dadgum ya!"

Sage*wheeze*Grouse

Sometimes I think the newer notching and discriminating machines, with their greater accuracy are harming our recovery rate.

(manages to get her walker and cane up onto the soapbox with her)

When I was first detecting, we had notching, but it wasn't as accurate as today and we dug everything we could get our claws on. We found all the good stuff. You young whippersnappers disc out pulltabs, and miss the gold and jewels! WE used to have to detect with a tin can nailed to a stick with a bowling ball on the other end! And we were GLAD to git 'em! Times was tough! We used to have to detect uphill in the snow fer five miles. Both ways! We dug plugs with our fingernails! We et pulltabs fer breakfast! Throw some milk on 'em an' they aint half bad."

(Coughs, wheezes, falls off soapbox and shakes a bony fist at the young'uns)

"And git offa my lawn! It's already been searched! Dadgum ya!"

Sage*wheeze*Grouse

That's good stuff right there :laughing:

More truth than fiction

After I used my new ATPro for awhile It seemed my find rate was getting worse instead of better. I pulled out my old trusty Treasure Ace 200 and of course had to dig when I heard noise. Guess what, I was letting my super duper Pro talk me out of digging because the targets were pull tabs or bottle caps or whatever else I didn't want to find. The Pro is a smart machine but targets don't always tell the whole truth. Remember, the more targets you dig, the more valuable treasure you will find. Hunt that field like you will never get to have another chance to hunt it. Itwill pay off.

Besides digging a ton of tabs and pull caps.....what is the best way to detect for gold items?

Digging a ton of tabs and pull caps, like you do. Sorry, that's the best way.

I've tried several types of gold under my detectors.
For the id it matters what karat, what other alloy material, (total) weight, what model, the kind off soil it's in, and some more facts.
All these facts can give an other id, and with all my tried types of gold i had id's in ranges from supersmal foil up to above the pulltab ranges. everything between that can be gold and as gold ain't that much found the best way to find it is to find all types.

So the question is what gold do you want to find, and how hard do you want to work for it??
Dig pulltabs or higher and you will only find the big gents rings, and make you miss the thiny 3 grams rings and 2 grams earrings (to not even start about the problems chain's give :yes: ).

Digging a ton of tabs and pull caps, like you do. Sorry, that's the best way.

I've tried several types of gold under my detectors.
For the id it matters what karat, what other alloy material, (total) weight, what model, the kind off soil it's in, and some more facts.
All these facts can give an other id, and with all my tried types of gold i had id's in ranges from supersmal foil up to above the pulltab ranges. everything between that can be gold and as gold ain't that much found the best way to find it is to find all types.

So the question is what gold do you want to find, and how hard do you want to work for it??
Dig pulltabs or higher and you will only find the big gents rings, and make you miss the thiny 3 grams rings and 2 grams earrings (to not even start about the problems chain's give :yes: ).

That was one of my biggest fears...lol...I have a bad wrist so I only get about 30-50 holes an outing before It kinda hurts...But I figured no pain no gain!!

Ill just keep swinging and digging :)

thanks for all the tips ppl.

That was one of my biggest fears...lol...I have a bad wrist so I only get about 30-50 holes an outing before It kinda hurts...But I figured no pain no gain!!
than you can choose to go for the bigger gold and missing the small ones. that will make you less digging.
IMO you can't spoil your wrist for only a few or even one 2grams earrings and 300 small pieces of foil.

like i said it's all about choice, about what you want to find. dig less, find less.

Been detecting since 2008, 2 years with Ace250 and then At Pro. I have probably around $1000.00 in clad, bunch of silver and only 5 14K gold rings. I only dirt hunt, If I beach hunted the gold count would be way higher. But we don't have many beaches in central Ohio. Gold can ring in anywhere from 40 to the 70's. to get those 5 rings, I have dug an enormous amount of trash.

My AT Gold is a killer for coins. Unfortunately, gold is in the pull tab range. You have to dig up a lot of tabs to catch that gold. I'm sure there is a ratio of tabs per gold you must dig. For me, it's about 1000 pull tabs per ring!

My AT Gold is a killer for coins. Unfortunately, gold is in the pull tab range. You have to dig up a lot of tabs to catch that gold. I'm sure there is a ratio of tabs per gold you must dig. For me, it's about 1000 pull tabs per ring!

Great! Im like at 15 tabs! found like 7 beaver tails yesterday, which clued me in I was in older ground (for seattle) found 4 wheats...and my first token.

Learn to swap hands when swinging. I alternate between left (dominant) and right hand swinging to keep my hands and wrists limber. Don't say you can't. Unlerss you're missing an arm or it's paralyzed, you can learn to swing the detector with either arm.

Being left handed I've had to learn using both hands. I can write with both hands or tie a shoe or swing a coil. I was awful glad of it too, when I fell on some ice three years back and fractured my left wrist. I was a "rightie" for about two weeks.

SageGrouse.

Back
Top Bottom