Great digging tool!

woj.chastity

My husband and I went to Fleet Farm in search of a new durable digging tool... What we found is beyond awesome! It has prongs at the end to cut through weeds, a serrated edge, and a knife edge... By far the best "all in 1 tool" we've seen. Just thought I should spread around such a good tool! Let me know how it holds up to you if you purchase one.. the best part, it was a little over $6 bucks! HH:)

Attachments

• mdtool.jpg
    mdtool.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,501
i have one very similar i think it's called planters buddy 14 in 1 or something...i love it with the prong thing at the end- there's a few places i like to go and the roots underground are vicious i wouldnt be able to dig there with anything else, well atleast not as quikly anyway. it also has a ruler going up the venter so i can be more accurate when someone asks me how deep something was that i found :). in "easy" soil i still swear by my bulb planter though! :)

That does look like it could work pretty well. I see on Fiskars site, they have them at Home Depot, and Target. I might check it out!

I bought one at a local target several years ago. They were closing them out and aren't currently carrying them. Might just be the stores in this area. I never have used it. It's more of a backup. I'm still using my 30+ year old 3in1 knife.

That's a good looking digger. I think I'll pick one up just to see how it stand up to our hobby and my abuse. Thanks for the tip.

Thats the one I use all the time and have for a few years now. One thing I would recommend is to cut or file the points off. You can still file them sharp to cut with but the points were cutting into and scratching too many targets and ME! After poking holes in me and my finds bag a few times I cut the points right off.

Another thing, do not pry much with it, the handle on mine is ready to break off from repeated heavy prying. Normal use is fine but I abused mine badly.

Edit: Actually after looking at their website they have a lifetime limited warranty. All they need is a picture of the damaged product, I might try filling out a claim and see what happens.

I thought about cutting the end pokers off as well... those buggers are SHARP!! We'll see how the next advendures go though... So far so good!

I found pretty much the same tool at Placerville Hardware except I paid 20 bucks for this one so yours is a much better deal. It works great at getting into the ground but does not shovel well due to the narrowness of the blade. Even trade for being able to cut through tough roots and thick grass. Hope you like yours as much as I do mine!!!0507101540.jpg

I had the fiskar when I first started, but after about a month it started bending where it meets the handle and eventually broke. Nice for soft ground but not for the hard dry stuff.

I have them all. Problem with the garden variety is that the handles do bend after time. And, after several hours of digging my hand would be ready to fall off..Then sore for several days after.. Went to a Lesche and never regretted it..Garden trowels were meant to play in gardens. The Lesche is designed for continual and serious digging. cordially Nad

Edit: Actually after looking at their website they have a lifetime limited warranty. All they need is a picture of the damaged product, I might try filling out a claim and see what happens.

Just wanted to give a quick update. I sent Fiskar a picture of my broken digger with the loose handle via their online claim form, I got an email back a few business days later and they stated they would be shipping me a new one in 5 to 10 days.

Not bad customer service for a 7 dollar item I picked up at Wal-Mart.

I would recommend to anyone to add one to their arsenal.

Seen others on this forum that use and like this one. I would like to get one also because of the rounded end would be easier on the hand than the planters buddy, and at half the cost.Our Home Depot or Wal-Mart haven't carried one since I have been looking. Have to check our Farm and Fleet now.

Ace Hardware has the Ames tool for $16.99 online.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2874516&cp=2568444.2598674.1305553

I need one. Not having a good digging tool is keeping me restricted to tot lots. Have nothing for hard ground and grass to cut plugs.

EDIT - found it CHEAPER at Lowes .. headed to mine to see if they have it in stock... $11.98 ... my clad finds this week will pay for that.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_248710-4834...A2 Activity-_-SC_Garden Tools_Area2-_-43109_5

Found the Fiskars at our Meijers. Haven't had the chance to use it yet so I cannot review it. The one area that concerns me is where the blade is welded to the hilt, but most of my hunting areas aren't usually full of rocks where I need to do a lot of prying so this might be ok.

Tried mine out yesterday, first hole I dug the handle bent where it meets the blade. My ground isn't hard, in fact just below the grass roots it is very dry loose sand. Probably get another from the warranty, but I will stick with my Ames that has worked flawlessly for 2+years now.

I have one almost identical to the one in the photo at the top of this post. It has a green and black handle, picked it up at Tractor Supply Company in the $5 bin.

I'm a pretty agressive digger and it has held up really well.

Check it out if you have a TSC near you.

HH - Ed

Back
Top Bottom