military police token?

CCartist

Hi all, usually I have no problem finding the right answer to my finds, but info on this token? which has the what looks like hand engraved T.C. Wood and may have been copper coated has been alluding me this week...not having much luck this week with much anyways so if any one could help that would be great! thanks...

Attachments

• DSCN0417.jpg
    DSCN0417.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCN0420.jpg
    DSCN0420.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 343
Yes. It's what's called a "Challenge" Coin. What we did was if you go out on the town and "challenged" another soldier to show his coin and he didn't have it, he would buy you a beer. I had several from all the units/battallions I was in: 3rd A.D., 8th Maint.Bat, 3rd COSCOM, 90th ARCOM, 159th Aviation

challenge...

Yes. It's what's called a "Challenge" Coin. What we did was if you go out on the town and "challenged" another soldier to show his coin and he didn't have it, he would buy you a beer.

Thanks Loxlie, would you happen to know how old would it be? just think I was going to make a joke about it being a free drink token! Hmmm...wonder if it would still work?

Yep, it's a unit coin. These were, and still are widely used in the Army. They are used as "challenge" coins, but that's not all they're for. They are given by a unit's leadership as an informal award for accomplishment. It could be a soldier did really well at a training exercise, so the commander slaps a coin in his palm at the close of the exercise. Some coins are also given upon completion of military schools -for example, anyone completing Air Assault School or Airborne School will have an "Air Assault" or "Airborne" coin. I have several similar coins; some identical.

Thanks Loxlie, would you happen to know how old would it be? just think I was going to make a joke about it being a free drink token! Hmmm...wonder if it would still work?

Yes, it would work...if you find someone from the 105th MP Company and present the coin, he/she'd better have theirs!

does the engraving on the back say "TC Wood"? I'm having a hard time making out the beginning.

Just curious because "TC" is not an Army rank, and normally the rank abbreviation would precede the last name (not the person's initials). If it is "TC", I'm wondering if it's for "Troop Commander". This unit was deployed to Iraq.

The 105th was deployed to Iraq out of Buffalo. However, this coin looks like it's been buried for quite a while. The only thing I can think is that this coin was personalized for some reason. Though, as you said, it's usually with rank first.

challenge

does the engraving on the back say "TC Wood"? I'm having a hard time making out the beginning.

Just curious because "TC" is not an Army rank, and normally the rank abbreviation would precede the last name (not the person's initials). If it is "TC", I'm wondering if it's for "Troop Commander". This unit was deployed to Iraq.

yes it is T.C. Wood and it is hand engraved...

http://dmna.ny.gov/nyg/nyg.php?page=staff

This is the link to the New York State Guard. I might suggest you email the Public Affairs Officer, or if it's local, you might try calling and trying to talk to the Chaplain. Typically, the Chap will be more open to helping with locating former soldiers. Hope you keep us posted on what you find out!

local

Can you give any details as to general location and depth at which you found it? Was it in upstate NY?

yes very upstate...near the Hudson River north of Warrensburg, NY about a foot deep, but the power company had been through there putting newer poles recently so who knows how deep it was for real...depth here really doesn't tell much as we freeze for months and that heaves the ground up pretty good!

Well, cool find, no matter what the heck "TC" stands for. National Guard units are a little more relaxed and unpredictable at times than regular Army units. "TC" could very well have been initials. "TC" also is an acronym for 3 things that I know of: "Tank Commander" (no tanks in MP units though); "Troop Command" (which is kind of an offshoot organization or detachment the best I can figure...usually a title given to units they can't fit under another title); and for some purposes "TC" can mean "Transportation Company" (again not fitting for an MP Co, nor to put before a name).

Then to throw off all above logic, I should tell you that unit coins such as yours are sometimes given to people OUTSIDE of the organization to show appreciation for deeds or special assistance to the unit. EG-I once got a unit coin from a Field Artillery battalion for helping their combatives team win in a tournament. I was nowhere close to being in their unit.

unit...

so I called the unit and the officer told me if it were a newer coin that they would be able to trace it to return...he said its probably from WWII or on and had no idea about the TC WOOD and said they don't usually put names on them now...he gave me a # for the museum so I left a message there...he told me it would still work for a free drink but I dont drink much and besides I didnt earn the right anyways...I'm still researching now that I know what it is...anyhoo thats about it...thanks for all your help!

That's great! It at least dates the coin, somewhat. I did a little research on Military.com last night and found 15 pages of T Wood. I'll email the site and see if they can give me a heads up on other avenues. I'll PM you and let you know. This kind of stuff is the reason I got into MDing!

challenge

That's great! It at least dates the coin, somewhat. I did a little research on Military.com last night and found 15 pages of T Wood. I'll email the site and see if they can give me a heads up on other avenues. I'll PM you and let you know. This kind of stuff is the reason I got into MDing!

me too! I always create a story in my head for my finds...plus I do dig history! I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you...thanks!

I have a challenge coin that I got when I got out of Viet Nam from the 101st Airborne Division. It has my name engraved on the back. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow if I can find one. They are always interesting to find. A fellow hunter found one here last week from an artilary unit. I didn't get a good look at it and don't know if it was engraved or not. It's good to see that you are able to get out and hunt since you have so must history in your area. Happy Hunting.

Back
Top Bottom