Question about flooded areas

Mg240

I have two old parks in my town that have creeks flowing next to them. And every year they get flooded in the spring. I have only found one old coin that was away from the flooded areas. Would coins and all of the other goods we search for, be in the creek? Perhaps scattered downstream? I went to one park that had Civil War reunions and old settlers reunions that closed in the 40s. I went there thinking of striking it rich on a virgin park in the woods next to a river. Not one single beep anywhere in that place with the exception of a few shotgun shells. I have a theory that anything lost was swept up by the creeks rising and receding.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I don't think coins would travel too far. I think they are still there just buried too deep for our detectors. I hunt a flood plain campground/park with 100 years of history that floods every year and I'm amazed how much dirt gets moved around. I'm guessing coins and jewelry would end up in the bottom of the muck. I keep going back hoping the next flood brings them to the top.

Observe the areas while they are flooded. If there is a current flowing over them, things are more likely to be washed downstream. If the water just stands there or moves slowly, it's more likely there will be silt deposition. That may help you decide what is going on in those particular areas. Any coins that are already under the grass would be unlikely to move either way, I would suppose

Thank you for the responses so far. I tried detecting in the Summer, while the water was low. There was A LOT of trash in the creeks. Like whole sections of chain link fence and bicycles and beer cans every where. But mixed in is old square nails and bricks and pieces of glazed pottery. So I have a feeling there is probably good things under all of that. I was just wondering if I should look further downstream from the park.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Like others said coins are likely too deep for your machine. In addition to silt deposition on top, the flooded ground allows coins to sink maximally. Try areas on the periphery that do not flood as much.

Back
Top Bottom