My oldest relic...almost a clovis

joe dert

Elite Member
I picked up this arrowpoint from a field that yields some very old native relics...the exterior was crusted black..then underneath that was a white chalky layer..a testament to its age...not certain but I think it's brown Jasper ..but it's a Dalton classic...9,000 to 10,000 BP ..

The book pic is from the overstreet guide 10th edition..pics are actual size for easy reference..

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_224406669.jpg
    IMG_20190107_224406669.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_20190107_224932871.jpg
    IMG_20190107_224932871.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 404
Nice find! Amazing how obvious that Dalton is. In my area, I hardly find points that match the categories in Overstreet or any other artifact book. But yours is a slam dunk ID.

Nice find! Amazing how obvious that Dalton is. In my area, I hardly find points that match the categories in Overstreet or any other artifact book. But yours is a slam dunk ID.

I agree..some points are hard to identity with certainty..this one looks like it was resharpened down to the " classic" size..

Don't know about you..but I seem to find a few points that are indentifiable,.. but out of their normally found zones... curve balls I call em.

Totally an incredible find. I can only imagine the stories it could tell. Congrats on a great point.

I wonder the same thing.. just thinking about someone using this over 9000 years ago is mind boggling to me.. thank you

I agree..some points are hard to identity with certainty..this one looks like it was resharpened down to the " classic" size..

Don't know about you..but I seem to find a few points that are indentifiable,.. but out of their normally found zones... curve balls I call em.

Yes I have found several like that. I found one point up north that looked like a San Patrice. Stumped the experts on the artifact forum I used to frequent. Arrowheads sure are fun to find!! An expert I know who used to write for Indian Artifact Magazine suggested there was a lot more trading going on than what others believed. I also think about the people making these points. I think there was a lot of variation in points based on maker, maker’s age and skill leve (kid vs adult), etc. just my thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom