26 wheat pennies later, a mercury dime emerges. A three ringer too!

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
I've found 26 wheat pennies dating back to the 1920s in my yard and I was starting to wonder if and when I'd find a Mercury dime. Today was the day! A 1945 in nice condition. It was dark by the time I found it, so I just threw it in my bag covered in dirt. I thought it was a zinc penny, but when I dumped my bag out inside I saw the silver edge and crossed my fingers. I found a 27th wheat penny in a hole with two toasty Jefferson nickels.

Oh, and to top it off, I found a three ring bullet. My first. I had passed on that signal a dozen times and finally decided to dig it. I don't know anything about them, but I know they have to be in the ground for quite some time to develop that patina. There were no civil war battles anywhere nearby, but there was a civil war fort .9 of a mile away.

Attachments

• DSC_0163.JPG
    DSC_0163.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 169
Congrats on the Merc, the Wheat's, the three Ringer Lead and all the rest your yard has given up. hope it continues to provide you such nice treats. Trapper

Oh, when it rains it pours....the yard gave up a second 1945 Mercury Dime. The backyard this time, and right at the base of a tree. (Didn't I already detect that spot?!)
I "knew" this was a coin, so out of curiosity I dug it out from the side to see how it was oriented in the ground. I didn't count on the silver edge!

Attachments

• 2nd mercury dime.jpg
    2nd mercury dime.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 109
Back
Top Bottom