Propane gas griddle use in Garage

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Lot of people have mixed opinions on whether or not you can use a propane gas griddle in an open garage.

Definition of griddle: solid top (NOT a grated grill with open flames), completely enclosed flame heat source.

People say you can't use gas grills and such indoors because of the fire dangers, people use gas every day inside their homes for open flame ranges and stoves? Some vented, some are not vented.

What do you guys think? I am looking at getting a griddle and using it in the garage myself on rainy days.

My personal opinion (which may or may not differ from others) is as long as the garage is open with good air circulation, the griddle is stable and not at risk of falling over and you don't have combustables near by then go ahead and knock yourself out. I've used a full size gas grill just inside a garage with the door open if it starting raining really bad. House is still standing.

No trouble...open door, being prepared if anything goes sideways...understanding things about fire and stuff...no problem.....

folks get killed by not understanding things and not being prepared for 'what might happen' scenarios...

A few years back, I grilled some steaks in the basement with a propane torch when the power went out in a blizzard...still here...!:laughing:

No doubt about the fire concerns. My garage is only used for storing !!!!.... no combustibles, no kindling. I even use my garage for roasting coffee beans. However, I don't have flames with my coffee roasters.

Thanks!

You should see all the all the krap guys burn/cook in their ice shanties on whatever heater they got...

Is your garage bigger than a closet lol...

<°)))>{

Most gas ranges require a direct vent to the outside of the dwelling. This pulls the exhaust out. In a garage , just open the door, ventilation is the key. The problem will come in when you drop that frozen turkey in the pot of boiling grease in the garage. This will cause a well ventilated garage,,,:laughing:

Attachments

• Ripley+fire+pic+Nathan+600.jpg
    Ripley+fire+pic+Nathan+600.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 4,814
Last edited:
As I understand it, one threat with propane is lack of oxygen. If you have too tight a house, your propane device can burn up all the oxygen and cause asphyxiation. It has the CO hazard, too.

I lived in a home with a propane stove and two propane wall heaters. The stove had a vented hood, and one heater was vented to the outside, while the other heater was one of those vent free radiant wall heaters.
infared_heater.jpg

You should see all the all the krap guys burn/cook in their ice shanties on whatever heater they got...

Is your garage bigger than a closet lol...

<°)))>{

Yeah! I always knew when I had to open the door and let some fresh air in! In a tight shanty, a Coleman propane or gas lantern burns up all the oxygen in a hurry and starts to go dim, as do you...Its peaceful though...Every year somebody gets killed during hunting season running a propane heater of some sort in a camper or whatever...

So it's more the burning of O2 than it is build up of CO... Good to know! Yes will definitely have the passenger door open (with a fan pulling air in) but would have the garage door open in most cases too.

Thanks!

So it's more the burning of O2 than it is build up of CO... Good to know! Yes will definitely have the passenger door open (with a fan pulling air in) but would have the garage door open in most cases too.

Thanks!

I wouldn't say that. CO poisoning is just as deadly as lack of O2, actually, it is the lack of O2. As I understand it, when your cells absorb CO, it prevents them from absorbing O2, so you die from lack of oxygen. Either way, you need plenty of fresh air coming in, and if you can, vent the exhaust well outside. Best thing is to consult a heating and A/C expert that works with propane appliances. Bon appétit!

And a fire bottle on standby sitting close!!
One that works and is filled.

This is definetly a good idea. Just don't keep it so close you can't get to it in case of a fire. A friend of mine said one time he had an extinguisher next to his stove in the house, then one day he had a grease fire, and couldn't get to the extinguisher because it was to close to the fire. Lesson learned.

Sorry to bring this thread back around...just my two cents...

Just remember, a combo grill will have less cooking space than a single fuel grill. You basically have two smaller grills parked next to each other.

a combination tool will never do the same job as a dedicated tool.

I have 4 grills...
A wood pit, I use this the most often, at least once a week.
A charcoal weber grill, second most used.
A pellet smoker that I also use as a grill, not often
A natural gas grill (paid $3,500 for the thing 2 years ago) that I have used 4 or maybe 5 times in 2 years (big mistake buying that thing)

so now you can see i am obviously biased, i would go for 2 grills if you must have charcoal and gas. I woul first try one of those charcoal grills that have propane starters, they make it pretty easy to grill in a hurry. That is if you can say grill and hurry in the same sentence.

I also have a 36 and love it https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-outdoor-griddles/ Can do a lot of stuff and is fun. Two stick cookers, 3 weber gas grills, 2 masterbuilt, and a texas spit steak cooker. The griddle is portable and we use it at tailgates. Had a grilled cheese bar last year that went well. Guests make their sandwich from assorted bread,cheese,meat and veggies and hand off to the cook. Their special grilled sandwich is done before they can finish their beer. Make sure you get new style that drains center back. Good luck

No trouble...open door, being prepared if anything goes sideways...understanding things about fire and stuff...no problem.....

folks get killed by not understanding things and not being prepared for 'what might happen' scenarios...

A few years back, I grilled some steaks in the basement with a propane torch when the power went out in a blizzard...still here...!:laughing:

I once in my early 20's lived in a place and they turned off our Gas..

my brother and I tried to cook some bacon with a Propane Torch under the pan.. was taking too long so we just applied the torch to the bacon.. cooked really fast.. but.. Tasted like poo ..Ruined the Bacon.

PSA for all you young peeps out there that get their gas turned off and still want to enjoy a little bacon.. Sterno works wonders and is fairly cheap :laughing:

Get a co2 detector or a combo smoke/co2 detector just to be safe. If you have any gas appliances in your house you should already have one. Years ago I had a friend went to work and they asked where were you yesterday. his furnace flue was blocked by a bird nest, he had slept 24 hours and didn't know it. real lucky he didn't die.

my brother and I tried to cook some bacon with a Propane Torch under the pan.. was taking too long so we just applied the torch to the bacon.. cooked really fast.. but.. Tasted like poo ..Ruined the Bacon. :laughing:

:laughing: I didnt want to mention that! Same thing with the steaks! The Wife was like, "What the hell is wrong with these Steaks?" I replied, "You really gonna complain about my creative cooking? Sitting here having a romantic candle light dinner? Just slather some A1 on it and stuff it down your pie hole! The trick is to not chew, just gobble!!":laughing:

She still mentions this experience occasionally...and a whole lot more of equal or greater discomfort...

If you don't already have one you can get a CO2 detector for as little as $15 to $25, here is just one example -

You should be able to find them in local stores if you don't shop online.

I know when I'm outta carbon dioxide, my beer's flat ;)

CO- Monixide

Co2- Dioxide

(I know you know the difference, people make the mistake all the time)

Back
Top Bottom